SEPARATION ANXIETY HELP PLEASE

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

grim_grimmery

SEPARATION ANXIETY HELP PLEASE

Post by grim_grimmery »

Originally i purchased a mixed breed puppy a year ago for myself. He was a happy little guy, a german shepherd mix, that loved attention. I quickly found out that because of my knowledge that it is best to be firm with training on german shepherds, this immediately turned the pup away from me and he quickly latched onto my aunt (who is far from being firm at all in training). She lets him get away with murder and despite me telling her to not go against my rules for him, she will never help in reinforcing my rules. This isn't the dogs fault, i know, so i don't get upset with his bad behavior to often.

But recently his affection for her has turned down right scary. He's not aggressive, but if she shows the slightest hint at leaving the house or going into another room that is closed off to him, he goes absolutely crazy. He isn't alone, for there are times I'm in the same room as he is. But he completely ignores my presence and has gone through destructive acts to reach her. He's busted out windows, torn through walls and devoured our front door. I purchased a large metal cage to house him for when we are both at work and figured with a radio on, a piece of clothing from her near that cage and plenty of water and treats he'd be fine. My aunts dog was even in the same room as he so he wouldn't be lonely. So of course, i imagined he'd be ok.

No, i was wrong. He destroyed the shirt, his sleeping bed and the cage. Yes, dear readers, he broke THROUGH a metal welded cage to escape, broke another window and was in our front yard waiting for us. I'm at my wits end with this. I've tried to the best of my abilities to cope with this behavior and try to teach him that we'll be back home.

I've followed all sorts of positive reinforcement training of stepping out, coming back in, putting shoes on but going no where. I know this has to be done by my aunt (since she's the one he's trying to get to), but she will have none of helping me train him, thus confusing the dog even more. She tells me he's mine and that its my responsibility of teaching him these things but i have tried and he has made it obvious he doesn't want my company.

What am I to do other than return him to where i purchased him, or worse... the pound?
ladybug1802

Re: SEPARATION ANXIETY HELP PLEASE

Post by ladybug1802 »

First of all this may have been missed and may be best if you repost in the Training Section.

But you realy dont need to return this lil man at all. Can I ask...you say you have been 'firm' wit hhis training....in what way? And have you changed yuour mind about this now and are using kinder trainign methods, or are you still using the 'traditional' methods?

when you say you have tried stepping out and coming straight back in etc.....how long did you do this for, and how did you build it up? This method does work....I got my rescue dog over his separation anxiety this way...but it takes a lot of time, consistency, patience, and you must not leave the dog alone apart from the times you are specifically doing the training. It took me nearly 3 months...starting off literally going out the door and back in again....and did this a few times a day for a few days. Then stodd outside for a few seconds....few times a day for a few days....then increased the time by a few seconds.....you get the idea. I did this until i was able tpo ;leave him for an hour. Each time I had to go out and he couldnt come with me I took him to my parents.

Your dog is VERY stressed....and I hate to say it but Im afraid the traditional firm methods you have used have meant that at the moment, he isnt bonded with you and very possibly doesnt trust you. So you need to work on using more positive methods, playing fun training games with him, start doing some clicker trainign with him as that is a great way of building confidence and a bond between dog and owner.

Crates can sometimes be great for dogs and they can feel very secure and safe in them....BUT...you have to take the time to train the dog to see the crate as iots safe place. If the dog is just shut in there it will feel confined and punished. Its best to have the crate with the door open and let the dog go in whenenevr it likes, feed the dog in the crate with the door open, and when the dog ios happy with the door open, you can then feed the dog in there and shut the door for a second, then open it again. But an anxious dog, being shuit into a crate when it is already stressed about being left, is too much for him.

This can be worked through, it just takes time. If you return him he will still have the issue but he will be even more anxious and someone else will have to deal with the issue....and think how awful it will be for your poor dog.