Treat your dog like a dog! Lesson #1

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Blackdogxx

Treat your dog like a dog! Lesson #1

Post by Blackdogxx »

It's the basic lesson from Jean Donaldson, who literally wrote one of the biggest books ever about understanding real dogs. It is called 'Culture Clash' and is worth every penny you spend for it in paperback.

To boil it down, she explains that a dog is a dog. It is an animal that looks different in different breeds and has various breed behavior tendencies (Labradors retrieve, Bloodhounds sniff, etc.).

But the single most important lesson she makes clear in so many ways is this: Stop viewing your dog through a fantasy filter with incorrect ideas from Walt Disney movies or cartoons. Learn what a dog really is and train your dog to get along in the world of people. That is how you prove your love to a dog: by conditioning him to be housetrained, gentle with his mouth, obedient and reliable on several basic commands. But you must stop making excuses for your own biases when you call him your 'baby' and attribute human motivations and emotions to him. He is remarkable in his own right because he is the result of selection by some smart folks, over a very long time, to have certain behaviors and physical traits. It is up to you to learn what your dog was bred for and to select a dog that you can handle and fit into your lifestyle.

Granny cannot manage a Great Dane of Rottweiler, but she may be fine with a small poodle or cocker spaniel if she is able to take a basic class or two and practice. With the internet available, she can go watch Victoria or 'TAB289' on Youtube, who is a remarkably articulate trainer who explains what he is doing and why.

Think about it.... because your dog can't !
Nayshiftin

Re: Treat your dog like a dog! Lesson #1

Post by Nayshiftin »

Thanks I agree a thousand percent.
I could never cope with a Rottweiler, Alsaition, Mastiive as even if gentle I am scared of these.
I have a fostered old Lab Staff who is placid and at 13 been trained well and I know what i can and can't cope with and will as I know find more on the way.
Watching Victoria who I have great admiration for as she tackles situations I'd hide from I've seen small to large dogs being viscious. I still think all dogs have some potential to protect, guard, rear, rip, bite do anything and cannot say that any breed or size is perfect. Can you.
Labradors can be viscious too as can little terriers. Chiwawa's and King Charles Spaniels too.
I adore the Lurchers but they can be fast and kill cats etc.
The greatest dog I would want to own if I have the right provision for would be a red setter but I am told too they'd be too fast for me and not good.
Sometimes you can talk your way out of every dog and fear them all.
I agree though think, research , ask remember a dog is for life and not for Christmas
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nayshiftin wrote:I adore the Lurchers but they can be fast and kill cats etc.
The greatest dog I would want to own if I have the right provision for would be a red setter but I am told too they'd be too fast for me and not good.
I don't really get the 'too fast' argument - if you had a small terrier that ran off and didn't want to be caught you'd still have no chance, so you need to rely on training, not your physical ability.

Likewise, size. Even small dogs can be very strong and have the potential to pull you over.

The danger is that people think that if they go for a small dog they don't need to worry so much about training or behaviour. Sure, a great dane or rottie won't be great for Granny but if she gets that poodle and it decides it wants to have its own way, Granny has a problem... It all comes down to training, training, training, I guess.

Knowledge of your own dog is paramount, though - what you can and can't do with it, in what situations you're going to struggle. Stamina is probably more important than brute strength. I'm nothing like as strong as Jasper, but I'm not sure he's realised this :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nayshiftin

Post by Nayshiftin »

I agree any dog could out run me..........
Jack Russells too can bounce and climb over your head at speed. All breeds have something as I said previously you can talk your way outta any breed and lets not forget similiar to humans each dog has it's individual character. No two labradors are the same and ditto for all the breeds. One Spaniel can be the best dog you've had another can have that Spaniel Rage. I love those too.
I just feel that if I got a lurcher/greyhound unless it had a good recall it would not be off lead. I'd not even attempt to catch one but they do need to run/walk fast and well in middle age with health problems I just think it unfair to the dog.
On a website I checked out some dogs need at least 3 hours fast walking a day and others 3 twenty min walks.
I sorta like about an hour twice a day maybe more in summer dog permitting conversely I cannot and would never commit to three hours fast walking a day. I might get used to it but I know I'd never keep it going and so then I feel if you can't do it don't.
Thanks for the replies.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Nayshiftin wrote:Sometimes you can talk your way out of every dog and fear them all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Too big, too small, too fast, not fast enough, too smart or independent thinker, or just doesn't look right...

I agree - if you can't do it, don't.
But on the other hand - it's worth a stretch, and not everything is difficult. Some folks cannot imagine walking the dog early morning in the winter, for example. But all there is to it is having the right clothes and gear (boots, hat, gloves etc).

True though, one should think carefully before making commitment.
Nayshiftin

Post by Nayshiftin »

When i first went to the rescue I had preconceived ideas and well thought they would all be worse than what Victoria deals with for folks to part with them. My attitude and my ideas have all changed and the learning curve is huge but so pleasureable. I think even Victoria would agree they teach us a lot. I also have learnt more about myself too and how good change is. I love my time with any dog each one to one is so so special. I think it would still be silly to get say a Rottweiler in a small flat and work all day and not be prepared to walk it...........also little dogs too need to be respected. I seen a lady with a ramp for her car and it was ace for her little dog..........she said he hates being picked up she then lifted her large labrador and said this one just loves a hug and a cuddle one must never assume.
All I;d say is at Christmas the weather is cold dark and awful and you may not see that good dog for being cooped up inside. The summer too with hot cars etc has draw backs. So beware they are there for you to care.