New Puppy Agression HELP!!!

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Horselove96

New Puppy Agression HELP!!!

Post by Horselove96 »

HI!

I just got a six week old boxer/lab/german shorthair/ possibly pit bull mix puppy 3 weeks ago and at first he was like an angel. Now he practically gone crazy. Sometimes when touch him he will turn and growl will trying to bite us same thing when we pick him up. He also lunges at our other dog's throat (we've had her for 2 years and she is very sweet and patient with him). He also waits for us to walk by or sit down and then will start attacking our legs and hands anything he can reach. He will bark at his food too(no idea why)????

A little more info on him. He is a rescue from a shelter and was only with his mom and littermates for about five weeks. He gets about a hour of vigourous exercise a day and we have taught to sit, lay down, go potty, and stay. He usually won't come unless we have a treat or our other dog comes running. We feed him 4-Health puppy food from Tractor Supply he gets about 2 1/2 cups a day. He is 13 inches tall and weighs about 15 pounds. BLack with a white chest some black speckles, white paws with black speckles, and a white tipped tail. He also has an underbite if that helps with anything and tries to lock his jaw when biting onto to us and his toys and our other dog a Lab/GSD/Border Collie. Any help would be great as we have tried telling him no and ignoring him and giving him a toy when he bites.
Last edited by Horselove96 on Sun May 08, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nettle

Re: New Puppy Agression

Post by Nettle »

I have asked that this is transferred to the training part of the Forum, where more people will see it and be able to help. :)

Meanwhile - you have a very very young puppy, so he is exploring the world with his mouth.

He is much too young for vigorous exercise - can you give us more details, and also of his typical day, so we can help more with some small tweaks to his routine? We love long detailed posts, and we all know how demanding puppies are :lol: you have a very high-energy mix there and we can show you safe ways to redirect that energy.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Horselove96

Re: New Puppy Agression

Post by Horselove96 »

He actually gets a walk mixed in with a few minutes of running here and there and he plays tug with our other dog. He will chase anything so we will throw things and let him run/walk to it. That is his exercise through out the it is mostly split into little 15 minute sessions. Thats what I call vigorous for a puppy.

His day goes something like this.

My mom gets up and takes him out at about eight A.M. Then he gets fed about a cup of food. By then my sisters and I are all up and we let him out to roam the living room and hallway with our other while we watch him. Around 10 he gets some exercise and training. We try to take him every hour and whenever he whines or goes to the door. He gets fed again at about one P.M and the he goes outside ten minutes after and plays for a few minutes. He has free access to water from 9 A.M to 6 P.M we do it that because at first he got really dehydrated and sick from not having enough. Through out the the day we play with him and train him. He will get fed one last time at about 5:30 P.M. He runs outside with our dog for awhile between 6 and 8 depending on who's available to watch them and gets a last drink. We put him outside to potty at 11:30 P.M. and everyone goes to bed.

P.S He barks and lunges at his food when it goes into his dish and we have idea why this will go on for up to five minutes. We don't put his bowl down until he sits or lies down.

P.P.S I am studying to be a animal trainer and behavorist so extra tips, ideas, and colleges to go too would be great :)