Behavioral & Physical Effects of Spaying/Neutering

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Behavioral & Physical Effects of Spaying/Neutering

Post by Nettle »

If you possibly can, wait until she is grown up at around two years old. If that isn't managable, leave it as long as you can and take her for the operation three months after her previous heat ends.

You don't have to have her spayed - contracts from rescues are of dubious worth, and the dog's health is much more important. But I expect you'd prefer to have her spayed, so once she is mature is the best time.

If you are happy to keep her whole, then do so. I did with all my rescue b itches, after I learned the hard way that spaying is not always what it is made out to be. I had contracts too. :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Hi Horza

Out 5 year old dog is from a rescue as well, and we are supposed to have him neutered. But as he is fearful of other dogs, I don't think it's a good idea, and we are not rushing into it. .
horza

Post by horza »

hi

im going to talk to my mum about this, we have no problem with not spaying her, we already have a entire b itch, but it was just in the contract when we brought her,

we will see what happens but hopefully we will wait.

thanks
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

bump
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
gwd

Post by gwd »

i've been reading up a bit on partial spays. there are two ways it seems that they can be done. one is to remove the ovaries and leave the uterus and cervix. this eliminates the chances of an unplanned litter and mitigates the risk of spay incontinence.....but doesn't allow for the benefits of the hormones, nor does it eliminate the chance of pyro

the second is that they remove the uterus, leave the ovaries and cervix. this also prevents unwanted litters, reduces the chance of pyro (the uterine stump can still cause a bit of pyro issues), but retains most of the sex hormone benefits.

i started looking into this for a friend with irish setters. if you've ever seen a spayed irish, it's not nearly as attractive as their unaltered counterparts. .......the rich, silky mahogony coat becomes fluffy, cotton light orangish mess that is prone to matting at the drop of a hat........basically the dog looks like it's all undercoat.

does anyone have any experience with partial spays?