Series 4 Episode 4 (UK): Niles the Chihuahua

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Series 4 Episode 4 (UK): Niles the Chihuahua

Post by emmabeth »

“I bought him because he looks like a cat, he’s about the same size as a cat, and I thought he would behave like a catâ€
Last edited by emmabeth on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MEL AND ZULU

Post by MEL AND ZULU »

Poor Niles . . . . . .

I was also thinking what the hell at the beginning of the show.

But then i started thinking, there are a lot of loving people out there that have dogs and treat them like kids, so they dont really know how to read the body language of a dog.
Victoria has a wonderful gift at showing you life through a dogs eyes and then suddenly it all makes sense.

Good on Karen and Niles for finding there happy ending.

Niles has gone from scardy cat to perfect pooch, brilliant!!
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

I felt for Niles!! I absolutely lover the programmes and watching Victoria....I wonder how much she charges and when she can come to my house! :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Karen most certainly isnt the only person in the world to expect her dog to behave like another species.

Thousands of people expect dogs to behave like humans, Karens main animal experience is clearly cats so its not THAT far fetched that she expected cat like behaviour, in some ways its LESS silly than expecting a dog to behave like a human, after all cats and dogs are furry, have four legs, are predators....

I think this episode really brought home just how bad things can get when you expect the behaviour of a different species from a dog, and when you misunderstand dog body/vocal language.

I see dog owners daily on my walks with my own dogs, who say 'he's friendly' as their dog is snarling and trying to bite mine..... or think their dog is evil and dominant and nasty when actually the dog is frightened and defending itself.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Think you're right. I think my boy is frightened and trys to get in first, I'm hoping training will help - but the easiest thing is to put him on the lead when we see dogs we don't know - amazing how may people don't do that and then I'm left trying to calm a dog down who feels trapped with a silly owner saying "he's only saying hello"! Oh well!!
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

The best episode yet, I think.
It made good TV - not just because we could laugh at the poor owner, but also because so many sensible things were said and demonstrated in a very short time.

Pam