Where does she find these dumb dog owners?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Username

Where does she find these dumb dog owners?

Post by Username »

I've only seen a few episodes, but it makes me wonder where they find such mind numbingly stupid owners.

There must of been occasions where she's walked into a house and it's immediately apparent that the owners are not fit to look after their pet. I've seen her reaction to some of the ridiculous answers that have been given to her questions, and I must say she is incredibly restrained. If it were me I'd probably advise the RSPCA and tell the owners that they are too stupid/apathetic to look after a dog. I know her job is to teach the owners, but some of them are just too lazy and I'm sure she must feel that anything she teaches these people will be forgotten after two weeks.

I'm not saying I'm the best dog owner in the world, I'm not, I've had my first dog for about 10 months, but the majority of it is common sense surely (I'm not trying to take anything away for Victoria's ability, she's very good). I'm talking about stuff like:

Victoria - "How often do you take them for a walk"
Owner (6 dogs in a small house) - "Never, I can't"

Why the hell has she got 6 dogs then? The same woman feeds her dogs Ice creams and cups of tea :roll: . The same on another episode with the South African guy that had a Boxer and never walked him, or the woman with two greyhounds that were never allowed off the lead and were not taught to make toilet outside, just left to excrete all over the kitchen floor. There must of been some owners where she's just lost her rag with them and called them too stupid/lazy for dog ownership.

One of the dumbest things I've ever heard on TV was the lady that said "He was the same size as a cat so I thought he'd behave like one" when talking about why she chose a Chihuahua as a pet. I really do wonder how these people look after themselves, never mind their pets.

Sorry for the rant, but seriously does anyone know how they find their owners or if Victoria has ever refused to teach someone as they are clearly not cut out for dog ownership?
dontpugme

Re: Where does she find these dumb dog owners?

Post by dontpugme »

There are various casting calls and some write to animal planet. They try to find the most extreme problems. If the producers think the family qualifies, they make a little tape and send it to the execuetive producers. If they like it, it's sent to Animal Planet. If Animal Planet likes it, it's sent to Victoria.
Listen to this:
http://www.talkzone.com/mp3FlashPlayer. ... entid=9189
--dontpugme
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

We were all dumb owners of various degrees at one time and like these people we looked for help. Just because they can't control their dogs doesn't make them dumb, they have asked for help and they have followed that advice, it may have been hard to get them to understand at times but don't we all have blockages at sometime?
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

They respond to adverts asking for people to appear on the show!

As to whether they are dumb - well ignorant yes, but we are all born that way - some of us get lucky and hit on the right thing straight away, some of us flail about cluelessly and some of us do the wrong thing until someone else says, or we realise, that it is wrong.

It isnt the being ignorant that is ever dumb though, whats DUMB is not being willing to recieve help, or put in the work.

I do believe a very large proportion of those who appear on the show have been mislead, badly - by other owners, other trainers, by books and 'dog park experts', by family and friends. They have been told to do something a certain way, they do it. It doesnt work, they dont know why, they get told sme other load of hooey.. that doesnt work, they dont know why... they get desperate and very very frequently they then dont know WHERE to find help.

Its really easy for those of us already on the inside of the 'doggy geek' circle or even on the fringes of it, to say 'hey aren't they dumb..' but if you are starting out from a position of not just not knowing the answers... but not even knowing the right questions to ask in the first place... where DO you start?

All the doggy papers and magazines and books that are crammed with the right answers and good ideas.. firstly they are intermingled with doggy papers, magazines and books crammed with outdated, wrong and plain barbaric ideas and answers. So how does the novice, desperate, panicking dog owner pick the right one?

Secondly, how do they even KNOW these books exist - go to a library? If my local libraries are any indication, you will only find outdated barbaric 'rub his nose in it and teach him who is boss' style training there. Local newsagents - of the three regular uk dog magazines - one is very good with positive reward type training, one sits on the fence and wont really commit either way and so some info is good and some is horrid, and one is out and out dominance/punishment/alpha based drivel all the way. Which one does the novice owner pick up?

So these 'dumb' owners who apply to go on teh show I think are incredibly brave and are doing dogkind a major service in appearing on a show that reaches out wayyyyyyy beyond the inner circles of doggeekdom and delivering sensible, simple to apply methods that are effective and are not going to do harm.

If it wasnt for them (as well as Victoria of course!).. we would STILL be preaching to the converted on the whole!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
eyes1718

Post by eyes1718 »

No, no, no... There really have been some dumb owners! For example, the owners of the two Dobermans that wouldn't go out and clean up THEIR OWN dog's fecal matter, so Victoria went and cleaned it up for them. Victoria even said herself that they should not be dog owners, and I completely agree! Also they locked the dogs in a small room for 6-8 hours at a time... May I ask, why did they ever think they should own an animal?!?! There have been TONS of people that I just wait for Victoria to say "I'm taking this dog away from you!" I really hope that these people are completely mortified with embarrassment when they watch themselves on this show!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Eyes, if you do a search you will find the owner of the 2 Dobermans who gave her side of the story, well worth reading as they are not dumb owners, they were made to look like that by the editing.

The only dumb people are those that call others dumb, they don't bother to try and work out if this is true or not. TV programs are edited to create more viewers, if that involves making the owners look dumb that is what they do. People who belive this to me are dumb.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Username

Post by Username »

Mattie wrote:Eyes, if you do a search you will find the owner of the 2 Dobermans who gave her side of the story, well worth reading as they are not dumb owners, they were made to look like that by the editing.

The only dumb people are those that call others dumb, they don't bother to try and work out if this is true or not. TV programs are edited to create more viewers, if that involves making the owners look dumb that is what they do. People who belive this to me are dumb.
Some of the things that these owners do aren't exacerbated by editing. It IS dumb to have 6 dogs that you are 'unable' to walk and leave in cages for 8+ hours a day. If you're 'unable' to walk one dog WHY ON GOD'S EARTH WOULD YOU COMMIT YOURSELF TO LOOK AFTER FIVE MORE? That is dumb, however it's edited. A 3 year old child knows that a dog needs to be walked. The fact is, she was able to walk the dogs, she was just too damn lazy.

It doesn't take a genius to realise if a dog craps and pees all over your kitchen you need to teach it to go outside. You don't have to have a degree to figure out that greyhounds need to be properly exercised. The list goes on. If people need to be told these things then they ARE dumb. These are things that don't exactly require a lot of research are they?

Perhaps you only watch the USA editions as they seem to have owners with a little more common sense than the British participants.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Username, Mattie is from the UK, you would probably know that if you joined in May and actually read the board rather than come here and rant on your first two posts.

I know it's frustrating to see owners who are ignorant (I've had my share of moments where I just wanted to fast-forward, it was so maddening!!), but sometimes all we can do is say "Thank goodness I know better and my dog(s) is/are better for it" and not spew negativity.
Username

Post by Username »

Noobs wrote:Username, Mattie is from the UK, you would probably know that if you joined in May and actually read the board rather than come here and rant on your first two posts.

I know it's frustrating to see owners who are ignorant (I've had my share of moments where I just wanted to fast-forward, it was so maddening!!), but sometimes all we can do is say "Thank goodness I know better and my dog(s) is/are better for it" and not spew negativity.
My last post "spew[ing] negativity" was a direct response to Mattie saying that I was dumb for calling others dumb.

Do you agree that any of the examples I posted above are the actions of 'dumb' people rather than that of ignorant people? Is it ignorant to have 6 dogs when you have no intention to walk them or is it dumb? I'd say it's dumb. If it were ignorant, she wouldn't realise that the dogs require walking. Anyone that doesn't realise that dogs need exercise is dumb IMO.

Is there anything in my last post that you disagree with Noobs?

I think we have differing views on what defines dumb and ignorant, but I maintain that the examples I have pointed out were 'dumb' (terrible use of the word I know, but I simply meant of lesser intelligence) rather than ignorant (which I perceive to mean somebody that is apathetic to the dog's needs, or someone that has refused to take advice or find alternative ways to rectify their dog's behavior).

I appreciate what Victoria does, but surely sometimes she walks into peoples homes and dies a little inside when she sees how their pets are treated. I'm not talking about all the shows here, just a select few. There are shows which have some ignorant people and some that have genuine difficulty with a certain behavioral problem, and Victoria is good at helping those people. I'm not trying to stand on a high horse here, I'm sure Victoria would be able to pick holes in the way I am with my dog and teach me things, but some of the participants are beyond belief.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Some of the things that these owners do aren't exacerbated by editing. It IS dumb to have 6 dogs that you are 'unable' to walk and leave in cages for 8+ hours a day. If you're 'unable' to walk one dog WHY ON GOD'S EARTH WOULD YOU COMMIT YOURSELF TO LOOK AFTER FIVE MORE? That is dumb, however it's edited. A 3 year old child knows that a dog needs to be walked. The fact is, she was able to walk the dogs, she was just too damn lazy.

Unfortunately not everyone is as highly intelligent as you seem to think you are, not everyone has had the chance of a good home themselves or a good education, if these people were as dumb as you say they wouldn't be asking for help. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help and go on the TV like these have.
It doesn't take a genius to realise if a dog craps and pees all over your kitchen you need to teach it to go outside. You don't have to have a degree to figure out that greyhounds need to be properly exercised. The list goes on. If people need to be told these things then they ARE dumb. These are things that don't exactly require a lot of research are they?
You only have to see how many posts on here are about toilet training their dogs, if you haven't had a dog before you don't know how to toilet train them. Not everyone can work it out, especially as schools don't seem to encourage free thinking. Greyhounds don't need a lot of exercise, they are couch potatoes, mine refused to run off lead and prefered to walk next to me.
Perhaps you only watch the USA editions as they seem to have owners with a little more common sense than the British participants.
Personnally I have found the UK people have more common sense than many from the USA, it is the same in both countries, there are good and bad people from all walks of life. If you want things to change you don't attack them the way you have, all that does is to reinforce to these people that nothing can be done. Far better to work with them than attack them calling them dumb etc.

If there was more compassion and tollerance, maybe there will be less neglect and cruelty through ignorance.

You are a troll, you have come on here just to cause trouble.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Username wrote:Is there anything in my last post that you disagree with Noobs?
Yes but I'd rather spend my time helping someone who needs it or offering encouragement to someone who might be having a bad day than to debate with someone who obviously thinks he or she is above it all.
Username

Post by Username »

Unfortunately not everyone is as highly intelligent as you seem to think you are
You don't need to be "highly intelligent" to realise that a dog requires exercise. It's more of a case of being 'dumb' if you don't realise it. As I've already said, I'm no expert and have said nothing to infer that I'm of higher intelligence than anybody on the show or this board, far from it.
Greyhounds don't need a lot of exercise, they are couch potatoes,
I didn't say they need a lot of exercise, I said they "need to be properly exercised". Care to disagree?
Personnally I have found the UK people have more common sense than many from the USA, it is the same in both countries, there are good and bad people from all walks of life. If you want things to change you don't attack them the way you have, all that does is to reinforce to these people that nothing can be done. Far better to work with them than attack them calling them dumb etc.
Yes, I quite agree, hence why I said Victoria is good at what she does, they have still been dumb. The reason I mentioned the different shows is not because I'm stereotyping the population, it just seems to me that there is a distinct difference in the show's participant's problems/causes of problems. Different production team perhaps?
Crikey, you must of been on some incredibly lame forums to think I'm a troll :D .

An internet forum is for people to discuss their views. Just because my opinions differ from yours it neither makes me wrong nor a troll. What 'trouble' have I caused other than participating in a reasoned and civil debate? Are people only welcome here if they agree with Mattie?
Yes but I'd rather spend my time helping someone who needs it or offering encouragement to someone who might be having a bad day than to debate with someone who obviously thinks he or she is above it all.
Fair enough, but I do not think I'm above it all at all, as I have said in most posts I am no expert, just somebody expressing their views. I'm not going to apologise for my opinion, and if you don't want to respond to them that's entirely up to you. Obviously I'm not the only person that holds such views.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Username wrote:
Unfortunately not everyone is as highly intelligent as you seem to think you are
You don't need to be "highly intelligent" to realise that a dog requires exercise. It's more of a case of being 'dumb' if you don't realise it. As I've already said, I'm no expert and have said nothing to infer that I'm of higher intelligence than anybody on the show or this board, far from it.
What is coming over is you think you are better than everyone else.
Greyhounds don't need a lot of exercise, they are couch potatoes,
I didn't say they need a lot of exercise, I said they "need to be properly exercised". Care to disagree?
All dogs need to be exercised properly not just Greyhounds, but there are many ways you can exercise a dog, not just walking them.
Yes, I quite agree, hence why I said Victoria is good at what she does, they have still been dumb. The reason I mentioned the different shows is not because I'm stereotyping the population, it just seems to me that there is a distinct difference in the show's participant's problems/causes of problems. Different production team perhaps?
No dear they are not dumb, they haven't had your privileges, maybe if you had the lives these have had you would be the same. Unfortunately not everyone is equal nor have a good childhood, parents etc. If they have never had the change to develop as they should, they can't be any other way. It is the same with dogs, deprive them of a proper upbringing as pups and they are the same because they haven't been able to develop normally. I used to own a pre-school playgroup that took in quite a lot from poor families, these under 3 year olds were sat in front of the TV all day long to "occupy" them because their mother didn't know any different because that was how they were brought up. It isn't them that is at fault but our society who allow these things to happen.
Crikey, you must of been on some incredibly lame forums to think I'm a troll :D .
We are not talking about other forums but this one.
An internet forum is for people to discuss their views. Just because my opinions differ from yours it neither makes me wrong nor a troll. What 'trouble' have I caused other than participating in a reasoned and civil debate? Are people only welcome here if they agree with Mattie?
You are not discussing but attacking people who can't defend themselves for various reasons, that has nothing to do with anyone's opinions but does have a lot to do with they type of person you are. You are hiding behind this forum to attack them, again it has nothing to do with opinions. All your posts are attacking others less fortunate than yourself, that says a lot about you.
Fair enough, but I do not think I'm above it all at all, as I have said in most posts I am no expert, just somebody expressing their views. I'm not going to apologise for my opinion, and if you don't want to respond to them that's entirely up to you. Obviously I'm not the only person that holds such views.
[/quote]

Opinions lead to good discussions, attacking people who can't defend themselves is really nasty.
Username

Post by Username »

I've never read such tripe in my life. I could sit here all day replying to your previous post, I'm going to try not to.

First of all, you are incredibly presumptuous about me. Why do you think that the people we are discussing have had a better/worse upbringing than myself? You know nothing of my life, much the same as I know nothing about yours.

Saying that someone else is dumb on an internet forum is hardly an "attack" now is it? It is an opinion, that is all. You have an opinion on me (founded entirely on 4 posts I might add), whatever that may be you are welcome to it.

That's enough, I've had to slap my own wrist to not reply to the other points.

Perhaps I might add a general doggy question which may make you see that I am not the 'All Knowing Oracle' you seem to believe I think I am. Hey, you might even think I'm dumb or ignorant :D . I agree with emmabeth that information on care for your pet can be somewhat cryptic and in the case of the internet rather contradictory. It's up to the end user to decide what to believe and what to dismiss.

My question is this: I had my dog at 8 weeks from a farm. He is a Border Collie. As soon as he was allowed to go for walks I started walking him twice a day, every day. At first it was for half an hour each time, by the time he was 6 months old it was between 2-4 hours a day. When he was about 8 months old I read on the internet that for dogs where hip dysplasia is fairly common you should only walk them for 5 mins for every month old they are (i.e half an hour each day @ 6 months.) Is this true? Have I over walked my dog?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I brought my dog (Lab/Whippet we suspect) from the shelter when he was 8 months old. By the time he was 10 months old I had him attached by harness to my bike and running to and from the dog park for playtime for a total of 4 miles running, 30-40 minutes of play, about 2 hours all together. My vet said she thought she saw me from her car biking with him and said "Take it easy" but didn't tell me the "5 minutes per month of age" rule specifically. So instead of cutting back, I just pedaled more slowly. I didn't know about that equation until I read it on this board several months after I'd been exercising him in that way. He hasn't been exercised that vigorously with consistency in several months, and he's now nearly 3 years old. So far I haven't seen anything physically wrong with his legs/joints/etc. ::knock wood::

Since you have a BC it's natural to want to give him as much exercise as you can so as to keep him "out of trouble" as it were. And it's possible that you did overwalk him, but I do hope if you observe him that you don't see anything wrong physically. There are vets and vet techs on this forum who are of course more qualified to answer your question. How old is he now, and have you adjusted the amount of exercise he's now getting? I believe it was Nettle who said a while back that the age that you can stop calculating is 18 months.