Series 4 Episode 2 (UK): Chaos the Bull Terrier.

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Series 4 Episode 2 (UK): Chaos the Bull Terrier.

Post by emmabeth »

Chaos the Bull Terrier is causing Chaos!

He is boisterous, attention seeking, humping like mad and out of control.

In this episode, Victoria shows how an increase in training and exercise, coupled with castration gives Chaos some boundaries, less excess energy and less desire to hump.

What did you think of the episode, was anything unclear, do you want to know why Victoria suggested the methods she did?

Heres the place to discuss it all.
Last edited by emmabeth on Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booandloo

Post by booandloo »

I was really impressed with Chaos's owners. What a lovely couple, clearly devoted to doing the best they could for him. OK they had to have a few things pointed out but how many of us have a "blind spot" when it comes to our dogs. Well done them. And VS was her usual calm, determined, organised, informed heroine. Well done her too, keep it up.
BTW Did I see a teaser last week for an upcoming programme that includes a whippet/greyhound/lurcher type dog? It was a bit quick.
StaffieMad

Post by StaffieMad »

i think it was great, Chaos proved a bit of a challenge but as always Victoria put the best methods for his problems to use and it worked fab. heres hoping Chaos is a bit less chaotic! :D
[img]http://saynotobsl.richardlindley.co.uk/files/BSL_Banner.jpg[/img]
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

i think Chaos has to be one of my favourite dogs. I shouldn't have a favourite but it was very difficult not to fall completely in love with him. The family were very dedicated and little Mollie was a sweetie. I do think it is really easy to excuse bad behaviour or ignore and hope it goes away. Getting them to face up to what his behaviour was doing to Mollie I think really helped them to make the change.
StaffieMad

Post by StaffieMad »

yes, definatley. i think when you showed the video of Mollie explaining how she was feeling, it hit home which is what they needed to motivate themselves to train hard and change Chaos's behaviour!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think often as the owner it can be very hard to see what is really going on, and very frustrating as well.

Often what a trainer or behaviourist can do is not particularly clever, its just offering a fresh set eyes. Without the emotional attachment to the dog, its also easier at times to see what is going on.

What i actually really liked, was seeing his 'mum' loose her rag slightly.
It brings home that we are ALL human and correcting training/behaviour problems is NOT easy, its not just a case of someone saying 'do this' and you do and its all fine after a day or so, which due to the nature of TV programs can sometimes appear to be the case. It is hard work and it is really frustrating at times and from time to time we will get really whizzed off and annoyed!

I do hope Chaos carries on being a good friend to Mollie, theres nothing better than growing up with a dog!
chaospunx

Post by chaospunx »

Hi,
This is Ruby and Phil, Chaos' owners. We are happy to report that Chaos is doing really well since Victoria's help. It's definetely harder to see whats going on in front of you when you're emotionally attatched, which we definitely are!
Victoria does so much more work than what you see in the 30 minute programme, it really doesnt do her the justice she deserves. She is so absolutely professional all the time. She also goes well above what she is there to do, she made such an effort with Mollie that Mollie still talks about Victoria now.
I wish that Victoria could come and see Chaos now as he is so much calmer and in return is so so much happier. He plays a lot more, sits for a long cuddle (which he loves) and is definitely a really good friend to Mollie. He hasnt jumped up or tried to hump anyone since the programme, now thats success!
So thankyou so much Victoria, you're always welcome in our home especially now it is so much calmer and happier,
Ruby x
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear Chaos is being a good boy, Bull Terriers are one of my favourite breeds although I've yet to own one.

Em
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Emmabeth.
If you ever want to babysit my little bundle of fun, just to get the feel for Bullies then feel free :D
Joking aside. Many people are put off by the look and strength of a bullie, but I can assure you, they are one of the most affectionate yet funny dogs you could come accross.
They are like having a 3 year old child constantly, one that is into everything :wink:
They are not your average dog, and can be a real handful if not trained from the beginning. They are the class clown of the dog world, but I wouldnt have them any other way. They are not a breed to be taken lightley, and can be very stubborn. We see sooooo many at the BIN that are in need of a new forever home. Someone to love them and treat them with the respect they deserve.
They are special dogs for special people, and anyone that gets owned by a Bullterrier, will be rewarded many times over.
I can honestly say, I have never met a bullie yet, that I didnt find funny, loving and quirky in one way or another.
StaffieMad

Post by StaffieMad »

Hi chaospunx,

great to know Chaos is doing well!

im a member on a staffie forum where i think you know someone that has a EBT and a EBTx staffie, can't think of her name right now.

I love staffies but also have soft spot for EBT's and go onto the BIN website all the time, its a wonderful organisation.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Hi Ruby, Phil and Mollie,

It's good to hear that things are continuing to go well. We had a such a great time filming with you. I just wish they has shown more of poor Steve, the cameraman's leg getting humped for hours. Poor thing, he was black and blue. And to everyone out there, when Chaos humped it was full force and hurt a lot so I am glad that he has calmed down. Of course the neutering really helped and even though I wanted to explore other avenues before coming to that decision it was really obvious that Chaos couldn't concentrate and was actually quite uncomfortable with the hormones that were raging inside him. I do hope I get to see you all again one day and tell Mollie that I hope she is still using what she learnt and that she was great on TV. What was the reaction from your friends? I did feel so bad for your friend who just lost his dog. Awful. Please send him my regards and hope that he is feeling better.
If you need to e-mail me Ruby you can by sending me a private message and I will get back to you.
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Hi Staffie mad
Are you talking about Sassie with Soli and Ozzy by any chance.
I also go on the BIN website too. I have Ethel and Monty
So just thought I would say hi
Maggie
StaffieMad

Post by StaffieMad »

Maggie wrote:Hi Staffie mad
Are you talking about Sassie with Soli and Ozzy by any chance.
I also go on the BIN website too. I have Ethel and Monty
So just thought I would say hi
Maggie
yes i am, hehe her two are gorgous! do you any pics of yours? if so would be great to see them in the off topic pic section, dont want to steal this threads thunder! :)
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Yes staffymad, the piccies are allready in there. :D
Whats your user name in the BIN board?
StaffieMad

Post by StaffieMad »

i'm not a member of the BIN forum yet, been having a few probs with my internet so i will be soon! probs be staffiemad tho :D i will let u know.