I am confused, shouldn't your dog protect you?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

boo2007

I am confused, shouldn't your dog protect you?

Post by boo2007 »

I have a question, I realize the episode I just viewed is an older one but I was confused about something on that episode. The episode was about a Puggle and a Weimaraner, the Weimaraner had aggression towards mostly kids and dogs and the Puggle charged out the door whenever it could. The owners had asked for help because they were expecting a in baby in a couple of months. My questions are, when the Weimaraner was introduced to the "baby doll" she was fine but when the other dog was allowed out and near the "baby doll" the Weimaraner growled. Victoria then said no that is bad, she needs to know that you protect the baby not the dog protecting the baby. I wonder why? I understand that you don't want the dog to be aggressive towards people or pets, but I love the fact that my two Jack Russels think of my children as their own and protect them as such. Jack Russels are known for not being good with kids but mine are fine and have never had any issues with them and my kids. So why would you take the natural defense away from the dog, to protect what they feel is their home and the people they love? Please be nice and help me to understand this.
emmabeth

Re: I am confused, shouldn't your dog protect you?

Post by emmabeth »

Because a dog is not equipped to know who a baby needs protecting from - a human is!

So imagine you have a dog who protects the baby... and theres a car accident, and the adults are unconcious... and the car is about to catch fire, but the emergency services cannot get into the car because the dog is going to savage anyone who comes near the baby... Thats because the dog who has been allowed to 'protect' the baby has no idea who is dangerous and who isnt.

Situations such as the above have occurred and will do so again - it is OUR job to protect both our children and our dogs. Leaving dogs to make decisions about who is dangerous and who isnt results in horrible misunderstandings and nasty, pointless accidents. What if a dog protects a baby from another child and bites that child in the face?...

There are so many what ifs when we ask dogs to do a job that is our responsibility, it puts lives at risk.. childrens AND dogs!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

If a human is afraid as in he is getting mugged your dog will sense your fear & should protect you in that instance. But as Em said in everyday normal situations dog shouldn't feel need to protect his humans. Now if humans are out & a burglar is prowling around most dogs will bark to warn intruder away or if intruder actually comes in dog should bite unwanted visitor--their energy/vibes will let dog know this is bad/danger. Altho some dogs will lick a burglar to death : ) Or sometimes you can be walking & dog feels the bad vibes from some one near by or a stranger comes to the door, dog will let you know this person isn't good. (My Max did this not long ago & Fundog's girl let her know about some dude looking for cigarettes that he was up to no good)
Anyway the human keeps dog safe & other humans in the house but sometimes we do need our dogs to step up when true danger/uncertainty arises.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

I have had dogs that protected me incorrectly, and I think maybe that is what Victoria is
trying to avoid. Those dogs decided what they perceived as a threat to me, and they were
not always accurate in their judgment. I do not view squirrels, bicycles, the mailman, etc.
as a danger, but they did. Those dogs were big German Shepherds, and it was a nightmare
as they were not empty threats, and they would have bitten. They meant well, but it was not
good at all. I will not allow my dog to 'protect' me without my permission by snarling and
barking aggressively in that way, ever, ever, ever!

On the other hand, when there is clear negative intent toward you or your baby, and you
are afraid of that person, I guarantee most dogs will read that correctly, and act upon it.
It requires no training. I have seen gentle Golden Retrievers turn into ferocious protectors,
and I have had the most peaceful collies bristling and willing to defend me. They don't
defend property, just their people. But never unless I genuinely felt threatened and afraid.
In fact, that's what I tell people such as repairmen who must come into my home when I am
there alone. If they ask if my dogs will hurt them, my reply is always "only if you scare me."
It reminds people that my lovely collies can change from being happy, gentle Lassies if they
need to, and lets my dogs remain on their best behavior as well.