can any one help?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

doggy style

can any one help?

Post by doggy style »

I figured i would post this to see if either victoria or any one in the bussiness can help. I have an american bulldog about 7 or 8 years old. She was my cousins dog until they were both fatally shot.She survived a bullet wound to the head and was the only survivor. After the incident she was taken to a humane society where i got the impression they wanted to put her down. I felt so helpless there was nothing i could do so i went to phoenix from vegas to rescue her. The way the economy is going i cant take care of her.

I need to rehome her but it seems no one wants to deal with an older and dog agressive dog. Ive talked to all humane societys and the aspca, they cant help. The last thing i want is to put her down. she deserves a long happy life and i need help finding that for her. If any one can help or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Have you checked the American Bulldog breed rescues? Go to this website, and find out if they can help you.

http://americanbulldogrescue.org/

After that, you can also inquire with Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, in Kanab, Utah (it's only approximately three hours north of you). As the name implies, they are a sanctuary, which means dogs that are not rehomeable due to severe disability are cared for there, for the rest of their lives. Best Friends took many of the Pits from the notorious Michael Vick case. They've rehomed the ones that were eligible, and are keeping the ones that are too aggressive-- none were euthanized. There is no guarantee they will be able to take your cousin's dog, since as you can imagine, they are full, with literally hundreds of homeless dogs, many with similarly sad stories. But it won't cost you anything just to ask.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, I forgot a couple more rescue groups to contact: P.A.W.S (Progressive Animal Welfare Society), and Angels for Animals. These are rescues that don't have an actual shelter, per se, but operate out of foster homes, keeping, evaluating, and training the pets (they take all kinds, even horses), until a suitable permanent home can be found. If nothing else, they may be able to help you with food and veterinary, as well as training, while you continue to foster the dog yourself. In addition, they can post the dog on their listing, and contact you should a qualifying/interested party come forward.

Las Vegas is a very large city (as I'm sure you are well aware), and as such, they do have several pet rescues-- you just have to be relentless and creative in your keyword internet search, and you will find them. There are more than what I've listed for you-- I just don't recall all of their names. Good luck-- and do branch out-- there are other rescues in your neighboring states, Arizona, Utah, and California. There are several people with ranches/large acreage who have decided to rescue homeless animals. I discovered several of these groups in the search for my second dog, adopted just six weeks ago-- we travelled close to 500 miles round trip to get her, but she was totally worth it!