Why are they all just EXTREME cases? What about preventative

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

whitesam

Why are they all just EXTREME cases? What about preventative

Post by whitesam »

Why are all the shows about people & dogs w/ extreme behavioral problems? Sure it's entertaining & shocking but what about us people w/ a little commonsense who actually want to prevent some of these horror stories by nipping it in the bud before it escalates to sensational proportions?

It would be nice to see some techniques on how to prevent problems. Things that make sense to people but not to dogs. Communication foul ups between us & our canine pals.
Pookaburra

Post by Pookaburra »

Well, Victoria wouldn't really need to visit homes just to prevent problems, now would she? ;) It is called "It's Me OR the Dog," which implies that the dog's behavior has gotten so bad that "either I'm leaving or the dog is," which is the feeling of many of the families that Victoria sees on her show.

Plus, there are many books to teach you how to prevent behavioral problems- socialize your dog and teach positive behaviors from a very early age and you can "nip it in the butt." And if you have local dog training organizations, they help immensely- I take Pooka to a place called "Teamworks" and the only behavioral problems he has are those common to a ~1 year old puppy- the kind that we're working to fix.

(also, that kind of show wouldn't do so well, huh? most people wouldn't watch a show where the owners know just what to do to make their dog behave, hence IMotD.)
whitesam

prevention

Post by whitesam »

Yes, I agree that the show wouldn't be nearly as interesting if it was just the basics, but I think it would be nice if it included some prevention instruction. A lot of people don't bother to read books or interpret them wrong as evidenced by the number of poorly trained dogs around and she wouldn't have to change the whole show. I'd like to see her insert short explanations for the viewing audience how some of the bad behaviors could have been prevented. It would be a good way to educate the general public.
whitesam

Post by whitesam »

I'm sure most of the people who submit postings on the methods forum have read books & worked w/ instructors (which not everybody can afford) but they still have problems. You will also find that training is an on going process that continues for the life of your dog.