Prince's episode

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Prince's episode

Post by ckranz »

What a handful. To think that Prince was only a puppy, I am so glad the family reached out and got help before anything serious happened. I can imagine that learning a whole new philoposphy of training can be a bit overwhelming on top of dealing with some sever behavior issues.

One comment I would like to make though is about the discussion of breeding. While I agree that Prince should be neutered, I think that the presentation of the reasons why seemed a little skewed.

Without good solid breeding purebreds would disappear. The shelter overpopulation problem is not caused by a lack of spaying or neutering as much as a lack of control of one's pets, poor breeding practices on the part of puppy mills, and back yard breeders.

The lack of understanding in what function good breeder's serve and the work they put into rearing good pups really does a disservice to good breeders of great dogs.

The reasons I would have stated for not breeding Prince would be:
1. Lack of Pedigree. His lines were shown as unknown and thus the risk of genetic problems related toparentage are unknown. This can present serious risks to producing healthy happy puppies.
2. Prince seemed to be a mix breed and not purebred. With few exceptions I am general not in favor of mixed breed breeding programs.
3. Prince's temperment may not have been desireable. Dogs serious aggressiveness should not be bred on principle.

The other issue is the number of dog euthanized in the US in shelters. In all the statistics I have been able to come across, they give a total number of dogs euthanised.

A few shelters have started categorizing these numbers. To be fair and realistic we need the following on a national level:
1. Owner requested euthanasia
2. Animal Euthanised because they were ill
3. Animals Euthanised beause they were unsound (temperment)
4. Animals Euthanised because of lack of space

Number 4 is the statistic of greatest concern. Do we wnat our shelter adopting out unhealthy or unsound animals? Owner requested also could be divided up, but the shelters pretty much need to comply with owner's wishes depending on local laws.

While I am a firm advocate of adopting animals from rescues, shelter, etc...I also understand that there are reasons that dogs end up in shelters. Many of these reasons are dogs that need proper training and leadership and were not given that and thus became misbehaved dogs resulting in damage to property, growled at the children.

Recently the reasons for the increasing shelter populations are the economy. People can no longer afford to take care of their pets.

Massive spaying and neutering will not eliminate those large numbers of dogs which end up in shelters because of the above reasons.

Overall though the episode was really good. I liked seeing the kids take a more active role in interacting with Prince.