Prince's breed?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

GrannyColley

Prince's breed?

Post by GrannyColley »

I am a bit curious. The dog in the episode was introduced as a Neopolitan Mastiff. It looked to me like it was perhaps a bull mastiff, maybe a mix of some type of French (Dogue de Bordeaux) or perhaps English?

I've seen lots of Neopolitan mastiffs, and was a breeder/shower of the English variety of mastiff...and certainly no expert on Neopolitan pups. but Prince sure looked like a different bred to me!

Anyone else have any ideas, or seen a pup that had so few wrinkles, such small, short legs, or a white chest..none of which mesh with the breed standard of the Neopolitan?

But in any case, it was a beautiful dog, and the family and Victoria did a fine job with him!!
Granny Colley
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Most of the neopolitan mastiffs I have seen have been black or dark gray in color, but I have read they are also available in several other colors as well according to AKC's breed standard.
thenerdycyclist

Post by thenerdycyclist »

Actually, the show introduced him as a Neapolitan Mastiff mix. I can't easily identify what other breed is in the mix, looks a bit like bullmastiff or something.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

He was introduced as a mix. He does look a bit mastiff to me. I will have to look again but parts of him even reminded me of a Cane Corso.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
Jaygirl

Post by Jaygirl »

My guess is a Neo Mastiff/Pitbull mix.
cassiesloveableowner

Post by cassiesloveableowner »

on the episode, the narrator said he was a puppy....maybe 9 months old. thats probably why he does not look like a neopolitan mastiff yet. Thats my guess.

cassiesloveableowner

"Dont breed or buy, adopt strays"
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Neos look like neos even as a puppy. Some sort of pit or American Staffordshire Terrier mix is also starting to corss my mind. I must admit though now thinking about it the muzzle reminded me of a pei's muzzle. Whatever the dog breed though he sure was gorgeous however I agree he should never be bred.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood