Finally a trainer I can agree with!

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Newfmom

Finally a trainer I can agree with!

Post by Newfmom »

I just watched my first episodes of "It's me or the dog" and I must say that I am totally in awe of Victoria! So much so that I had to look her up on the internet, and of course found this site. :D

I often find myself disagreeing with very popular trainers and their methods and am always disgusted when the average dog owner takes their advice to heart and employs the use of a shock collar or an alpha roll or some other fear inducing, pain causing technique. It was so refreshing to watch Victoria use only positive reinforcement techniques!

I live in Wyoming, and although it's not a completely rural area, there are very limited choices in dog training here. There is one local vet's office that offers basic obedience training and that's the extent of our choices in my area. There are no behaviorists here, and the closest place to find one is more than 4 hours drive away. Because of this, most folks here are still in the dark ages where dog training is concerned and routinely employ physical punishment for transgressions instead of actual training. I've seen some well mannered dogs, but most times these same dogs are also obviously nervous and fearful.

I have 2 dogs, a female pewter Newfoundland named Hazel, and a collie/hound mutt named Malone. My son has two dogs, a male Newfoundland named Parker and a SharPei named Lexi. Even though Parker and Lexi do not live with me full-time, when I talk about my dogs, I normally include them too.

I look forward to watching more episodes of IMOTD and to exchanging great pet stories and information here.
NicolaLloyd

Post by NicolaLloyd »

Welcome! I'd love to see some pictures of your newfoundlands, I absolutely adore them! Unfortunately I have enough dogs (or should I say hair shedding) in my house for me to cope with as it is without a Newfie to add it! Maybe one day...
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Welcome here.. :)

I am fairly new too..

Victoria is the ONLY tv trainer I so far agree with..

The few others I have seen irks me...
They have NO clue what they are doing, no basic understanding, NOTHING.... I mean anyone can surpress a dog, it aint that hard, but to actually work a dog THROUGH it.. that is different..

Hope you will enjoy it here..
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

Hello,I'm new! I love Its me or the dog. My 7 yearold got me hooked! I would love for Victoria to come help me train my dog. You know like the Nanny where Jo helps with unrully kids,i cannot watch that show,the kids drive me nuts,yet i can watch about the unrully dogs,and it doesn't bother me one bit. :D
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

I can't stand these reality shows however IMOTD and sometimes Supernanny I will watch. Well and GAD but that's because Victoria was in it :lol: Anyways I personally love Victoria's training technique in fact i was at a neighbors house the other day and he just got done watching Dog Whisperer ( I am glad I got home late because I had to take care of his brother's fish tank. Brother is the home owner) He's like Cesar did this and this to a barking beagle. I looked at him straight in the eye and juust Well Victoria did this and this and she didn't lay one finger on the dog. He just looked at me knowing I defeated him. UGH I am sorry but I can not stand Cesar at all.

If Victoria ever does anything out here in Southern CA, I will be first in line waiting for her however Cesar like a year ago was literally 10 minutes away from home and I took Belgian and went to the desert for the weekend. No way was I letting my dog be around the creepo. True he has done alot of good for rescue dogs but come on you aren't a true dog lover in my opinion if you believe hitting or kicking a dog is right
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

lablver2 wrote:I can't stand these reality shows however IMOTD and sometimes Supernanny I will watch. Well and GAD but that's because Victoria was in it :lol: Anyways I personally love Victoria's training technique in fact i was at a neighbors house the other day and he just got done watching Dog Whisperer ( I am glad I got home late because I had to take care of his brother's fish tank. Brother is the home owner) He's like Cesar did this and this to a barking beagle. I looked at him straight in the eye and juust Well Victoria did this and this and she didn't lay one finger on the dog. He just looked at me knowing I defeated him. UGH I am sorry but I can not stand Cesar at all.

If Victoria ever does anything out here in Southern CA, I will be first in line waiting for her however Cesar like a year ago was literally 10 minutes away from home and I took Belgian and went to the desert for the weekend. No way was I letting my dog be around the creepo. True he has done alot of good for rescue dogs but come on you aren't a true dog lover in my opinion if you believe hitting or kicking a dog is right

Psshhht *poke in the shoulder with 2 fingers*
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

lablver2 wrote: No way was I letting my dog be around the creepo. True he has done alot of good for rescue dogs but come on you aren't a true dog lover in my opinion if you believe hitting or kicking a dog is right
OK, I must have missed the Dog Whisperer episodes where he hit and kicked the dogs. I know he uses a bump at times (not anything like a kick) but never anything that remotely looked like hitting. My satellite TV service must have blacked out those shows :lol:
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

NicolaLloyd wrote:Welcome! I'd love to see some pictures of your newfoundlands, I absolutely adore them! Unfortunately I have enough dogs (or should I say hair shedding) in my house for me to cope with as it is without a Newfie to add it! Maybe one day...

Brush them outside--it'll not only save wear and tear on your vacuum cleaner, but also provide lots of nesting material for the local wildlife. :lol:
When my shepherd-husky-lab mix was still alive, brushing him was a Sisyphean task, but I always imagined the generations of squirrels and birds who were born/hatched and raised in dog fur lined nests!
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
NicolaLloyd

Post by NicolaLloyd »

Brush them outside--it'll not only save wear and tear on your vacuum cleaner, but also provide lots of nesting material for the local wildlife.
When my shepherd-husky-lab mix was still alive, brushing him was a Sisyphean task, but I always imagined the generations of squirrels and birds who were born/hatched and raised in dog fur lined nests!
:lol: What a lovely thought! Finally some good has been found for the excessive hair loss of our four legged friends!

I went through 2 vacuum cleaners in 6 months and actually asked for a new one for my birthday from my parents (sad I know!). They got me a Miele dog and cat cleaner and I would highly recommend it to anyone with pets, it's amazing! (ok now i really sound sad... i'll shut up now!)