Finally a trainer I can agree with!

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Newfmom

Finally a trainer I can agree with!

Post by Newfmom »

I just watched my first episodes of "It's me or the dog" and I must say that I am totally in awe of Victoria! So much so that I had to look her up on the internet, and of course found this site. :D

I often find myself disagreeing with very popular trainers and their methods and am always disgusted when the average dog owner takes their advice to heart and employs the use of a shock collar or an alpha roll or some other fear inducing, pain causing technique. It was so refreshing to watch Victoria use only positive reinforcement techniques!

I live in Wyoming, and although it's not a completely rural area, there are very limited choices in dog training here. There is one local vet's office that offers basic obedience training and that's the extent of our choices in my area. There are no behaviorists here, and the closest place to find one is more than 4 hours drive away. Because of this, most folks here are still in the dark ages where dog training is concerned and routinely employ physical punishment for transgressions instead of actual training. I've seen some well mannered dogs, but most times these same dogs are also obviously nervous and fearful.

I have 2 dogs, a female pewter Newfoundland named Hazel, and a collie/hound mutt named Malone. My son has two dogs, a male Newfoundland named Parker and a SharPei named Lexi. Even though Parker and Lexi do not live with me full-time, when I talk about my dogs, I normally include them too.

I look forward to watching more episodes of IMOTD and to exchanging great pet stories and information here.