How Long

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

How Long

Post by ckranz »

Watching episode after episode Victoria covers a wide variety of serious problems, some dogs even downright dangerous.

Of course the show is only 1/2 hour and of course the follow up a few weeks later.

I am wondering having gone through extensive training with a shy dog, how long is actually spent with many of these dogs. I pretty much use the same techniques as described on the show, but progress at times has been slow and other times leaps and bounds.

One episode that was re-run was Toby the very destructive male hating JRT. I love that epsiode because in many ways it reminds me of my dog Khan when we started. (Although he did not have the house training issue, he did have the issues on walks with other dogs), With Khan it was not just men, children yes, he is still not trustworthy to interact children.

There is also many important things left out. In Toby's episode when the guy helping out in Toby's yard when he stoops and eventually gets Toby to take treats out of his hand, you can see he purposely avoids eye contact. This was a crucial point edited out.

It's taken several months and a lot of work. The show sometimes makes it appear that problems like this can be fixed overnight. I know that most of this of course is due to editing and time limitations.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Some of the episodes have actually said how many weeks it has taken. I have never been good with numbers so I always forget how many weeks they said.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

It depends on the problems, some of these are fairly quickly fixed once the owner handle them the right way. For normal dogpeople who put times in their dogs some of them never even show. On top of that I suspect that they get some help to set secure training situations up which we not always have. Like me I need to arrange secure walking leash situations where epople can stop, step out of the car, go and pet Midnight so he learns that cars are not that dangerous. That is almost impossible her ein NY so I use hot dogs every time a car pass which has worked somewhat been that has been an ongoing job since April.

Some of them I have heard take longer too...

However, many of these dogs issues is in bottom line, no basic training, and too little mental and physical stimulation. Once you add that to most missbehaving dogs a lot of it dissapear or shrink to a very small problem. This together with once you go consistent on the corrections that are needed example teddy pom pom and the aircan at the door way..
The problem is in the other end of the leash!