advice please victoria

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

loza123

advice please victoria

Post by loza123 »

i wonder if you can give me some advice i am wanting to become a dog trainer and i think its great wat u have done with all them dogs but how did u learn the techniques u use were did u learn them.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I cant answer for victoria, although im sure some information is on her bio on the main site.

How does one get into dog training though. Well, lots and lots of time spent with dogs is one thing, and learning what makes them tick and what doesnt is another, which you will only get from being around a lot of different dogs for quite some time.

There are various college courses in animal handling, training and behaviour, i havent done one myself so couldnt recommend any particular one.

So far though, whilst you dont need any formal qualifications in dog training, or in dog behaviour, if you set up without the required background experience, insurance etc etc you could cause more harm than good.

Spend your time really learning about how dogs think, research how other people think dogs think but formulate your own ideas too. Watch all the programs about dog training on the television.

DO bear in mind though that the shows on the tv cannot, as much as they would want to, show you the whole picture, theres just no way you can make an interesting and completely comphrehensive show that fills just 30 minutes or an hour once a week, and so a lot of what goes on on the tv shows doesnt get shown, because no viewer will want to see methods repeated ad nauseum - so be wary of things that appear to have fast results from the telly.

The other thing to bear in mind is, it doesnt matter if a trainer or behaviourist has a book out, or a tv show, or says they have 40 years experience and are the bees knees. WATCH what they do, QUESTION what they do, see how it works and think it over for yourself, and if you cant see results, or the results dont seem to add up, figure it out some more!

Hope that helps,

Em
Josie

Post by Josie »

If I was starting out now I would get a job in a local rescue centre, take my dog to a good, reward based training class every week and see if I can help out with things like cleaning the floor and setting up in exchange for learning from the trainer, and do a training course on the theory stuff. Something like the COAPE diploma or the Foundation Degree at Bishop Burton College.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thanks for your enquiry regarding becoming a trainer. You have got some great advice here. Everyone has a different story and for my part I self studied, went to seminars, trained with other trainers, worked in rescue shelters, read every book I could possibly get my hands on and began to develop my technique from what I saw worked most effectively. I didn't have the luxury of a good accredited course back then but there are many places now that do good courses including universities and it would be a good idea for you to go to the Association of Pet Behaviour counsellors and find out more about courses from them: www.apbc.org.
I learnt most from the rescue dogs I worked with and more than anything it taught me to take my time, be patient and realise that every dog regardless of breed was different and responded differently. A good trainer keeps on learning, keeps studying the latest research and keeps a healthy respect for the animal they work with.
Emmabeth is right, TV can't show you everything and believe me if I had it my way completely I would have a three hour programme showing you step by step techniques, but unfortunately we just can't do that. What it does show however is that dogs can be trained in a positive way and owners that have gone down the wrong path can be helped to get back on the right one. This is a really important point because it is the trainer's job to motivate the owner to learn and be enthusiastic about teaching their dog because they have to carry on the training when the trainer leaves. If they don't then everything you teach them is worth nothing. Always remember that they are the most important trainers in their dog's life, not you. Sounds weird I know but it's true. Be compassionate for the people you teach as well as the dogs. I might look a little bossy on the television and I do tell it like it is and always have done even before this programme started but everyone knows that they have 100% support from me and that my one aim is to make the dog's life happier and easier and also that of the owners.
Dog training is a wonderful career and I would definitely recommend it. It's hard work but it's an amazing feeling when you know that you have helped a dog and their owner to communicate and live successfully together in what must be a very strange world for these beautiful animals. Best of luck.
loza123

dog advice

Post by loza123 »

Thanks for your advice i will take it on board
StaffieMad

Post by StaffieMad »

I am also thinking along those same lines, i have found a college that do a dog diploma course from home i am thinking about doing next year (2007). i was wondering if this seems like a good course to start with?- http://www.opencollege.info/dogtraining.html

thanks
Tasha
loza123

advice please victoria

Post by loza123 »

WHERE ABOUTS :D SO U WANT TO BECOME A TRAINER AS WELL well emmabeth and victoria give me great advice but i am not sure about working in a rescue home because i might find it very sad what about a boarding kennels?
loza123

advice please victoria

Post by loza123 »

i live in HULL
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You will undoubtedly find working in a rescue home very emotional, but if you DO do it and can help some of the dogs there you will increase the chance of them being rehomed successfully.

Its not easy, but a rescue centre will be full of dogs who require help and training in various different areas. If you do have a rescue centre you can volunteer at the experience will be priceless!

Em
loza123

advice please victoria

Post by loza123 »

thanks but the last time i went to a rescue around 4 years ago when i was nine i bought a dog fom a different rescue home but after i went there i still bought one and i just feel so so sorry for them all and the ones that have been in a sad case! :cry:
StaffieMad

Re: advice please victoria

Post by StaffieMad »

loza123 wrote:WHERE ABOUTS :D SO U WANT TO BECOME A TRAINER AS WELL well emmabeth and victoria give me great advice but i am not sure about working in a rescue home because i might find it very sad what about a boarding kennels?
i live in Manchester, well yea im taking this course firat to understand more about how they behave and why etc then in a few years i will think about becoming a trainer. I just wanted to know if the course im thinking of taking is suitable? :D

thanks
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hmm....

There are not many courses available that lead to a recognised qualification. That course you have linked i dont THINK is a recognised qualification, however that doesnt mean that it wont be useful. Its hard to say, some distance learning is in fact, a rip off!

NO distance learning course is going to teach you how to be a great dog trainer or behaviourist. Thats down to you, and the experience you can gain for yourself.

There are other courses available, be aware some may be quite outdated - id be wary of anything which teaches you that dogs are like wolves in behaviour, they are not and in any case, our understanding of wolf behaviour is based mostly on captive wolves who neither behave like wild wolves, or domestic dogs.

http://www.corsini.co.uk/animalcare/cou ... #behaviour

These people are good and importantly, their qualifications are useful and recognised!, the one to look at there would be the Modern Theories of Canine Behaviour, Psychology and Training.

The other one ive found that sounds good although covers a much broader range of topics is this:

http://www.vet.ed.ac.uk/animalbehaviour/ecourse/

Now this one is NOT currently accredited but... it comes from a reputable source and i think could be very useful to you.

Hope this helps

Em
StaffieMad

Post by StaffieMad »

Ok, thats great! :) thanks for those links, i think the second one looks a bit better i will order the CD in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure if i want to become a trainer but am thinking about it, a lot, hopefully this will give me a bit more knowledge than i have now!

Thanks again Emmabeth and Happy New Year! :D
lennym

Post by lennym »

I am new to this forum but noticed this topic and thought you maybe interested in these links

For dog training you could try here

http://www.dogtraining-online.co.uk/

And for behaviour and psychology look here

http://www.compass-education.co.uk/
loza123

adive please

Post by loza123 »

thanks i will take a look and thanks for ALL the advice . :D