Dear Victoria

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Aspiringdogtrainer

Dear Victoria

Post by Aspiringdogtrainer »

I don't know if you ever read any of the posts on the forums, and since I actually couldn't find a way to email you, I might as well just say it on here, and maybe it will get to you somehow.

You are my role model! I have been wanting to train dogs for many years, but never had the means to learn the tricks. I read books and looked online, but few things really worked with my aunt's border collie mix. The only success I ever had in training was my cat, but he doesn't count because he acts like he's on tranquilizers and will do anything for a treat. Then I saw your show and saw what you did with a dog that was pulling his owners. I started doing the same thing with my aunt's dog, and for the first time he wasn't dragging me all over the place. Now he can walk with the leash just laying across his back, not even attached to his collar, even when cars go by, which he used to chase! He had once pulled my shoulder out trying to go after a car! After my success with him, I've been begging people to let me train their dogs (just the ones that need training, of course!). And I use all your techniques. I aspire to be as good a trainer as yourself! I am so glad I discovered your show! I hear you're coming to America, and while I don't have a dog, much less one out of control, I wish I could see you in action in person! You are my greatest role models, and one of my heros! I can tell how much you love dogs. It's so wonderful to see. Thanks for being such an awesome person!

Sincerely,
Cly
Your dog is an extention of you. While you are an extention of your cat.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thanks so much for your lovely message and I'm so glad the show has helped you. Dog training is a great profession and I would highly recommend it and the more experience you have working with dogs as you are learning, the better. I'm glad your aunt's BC mix doesn't chase any more but just one suggestion - for safety always have a leash on a dog around traffic and other populated areas. However well trained a dog is they still have impulses and desires like we do and at times forget what they have learnt. I would hate for the BC to have an accident so always keep the leash attached. But it sounds like you're making a lot of progress - well done!
NancyNite

Post by NancyNite »

Victoria,
I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful thing you have done with your show. My family has 2 dogs & for the most part they are well behaved. In training my dogs I have tried to make my children very much apart of the dogs training. This way they learn how to be responsible pet owners some day. My daughter & I sit & watch your show together we discuss what the owners could have done different & why the dog behaves in the manor it is. It gives her a chance to learn from others mistakes as well as give us idea's on how to do things a little different with our dogs. I really liked the episode about Jed, I was able to show my daughter some of the warning signs of an aggressive dog & reinforce that you must always respect animals space & always verify with the owner that it is okay before you pet the dog. Were we live we have a lot of children in the neighborhood & I use my dogs to try & educate the children. I can not tell you how many kids have coming running over to pet our dogs without asking or have started petting the dogs without letting the dog greet them.
I have been lucky in life to have had many dogs come & go as well as go through many different experience with them. My children have not & I see so many people out there that do not understand the responsibility of owning a pet. I am glad you decided to do you show it shows people that there is more to owning a pet than oo they are so cute, or putting food in there bowl & having a roof over there head.
So bottom line is Thank you for what you do & keep doing the great job you are.
mjesli

can't walk the dog

Post by mjesli »

Regarding the episode the AspiringDogTrainer mentioned: I am wondering if there is a book or DVD that contains that particular info & is it available in America yet.

Unfortunately, we don't have Animal Planet - but we did for a few weeks when the cable company messed up. We got to see a few episodes. I was so excited to see the episode with the pulling dog that chased after other dogs, but then my dog had to go outside and then the plumber turned up....missed how it was done and only saw the happy dog walk at the end. :( We adopted a dog that gets off every collar and harness ever made (part Corgi and part Golden Retriever, if you can picture it!) . He snarls and barks like mad while trying to rip his leash off to get to any dog or cat he sees. He is a wonderful fellow and we are trying to train him, but I am sure there must be some technique that works so that we can go for the long walks he (and our other dog) needs. If there are materials I can buy locally, I would very much appreciate knowing the titles! Our dogs and I really need the excercise!

Thanks!
MJ
Spinderella

Weird!

Post by Spinderella »

The SAME thing happened to me as the person who started this topic..

My x-boyfriend has 6 [or more] Boxers and they were always very hyper active because they NEVER got taken for walks because they would drag you down the road.

After seeing an episode where Victoria used that "stop & turn around" technique for pullers, I tried that with their rowdiest boxer, lo & behold! IT WORKED!!!! Within 5 minutes, that hyper-active dog was literally walking next to me, with slack on the leash!

Victoria, you're AMAZING, I watch your show all the time, even though I don't have a dog. :)

And I've seen that self-proclaimed "Dog Whisperer" show, and I am SO glad that you are soon to run his show off the air. His dominance techniques are so ridiculous, it makes me so mad that he is even allowed to show his stuff on the air! YOU ARE SUCH A GREAT DOG TRAINER! The best in the world, no doubt!
macylee36

how?

Post by macylee36 »

I missed that episode! How do I get my border collie to stop pulling? He even has a cough he's developed (vet doesn't know what it is) somehow that worries me so I really really don't want him to pull.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

There is a very good thread about stopping a dog from pulling on a lead in the Methods part of the board.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
vicki249

Dear Victoria

Post by vicki249 »

Dear Victoria Stilwell,

My name is also Victoria (Vicki), I am 20 yrs old and I live in Pennsylvania. I have been watching your show as often as I can and you have inspired me to learn more about being a dog trainer. My first dog, Chloe, a cockapoo, is only 1 year old and I have been using training techniques similar to yours. I soon realized that I really enjoy training dogs and seem to have a connection with them. So, for the past few months I have been "apprenticing" with a dog trainer who uses a combination of clicker and positive reinforcement. The classes she teaches are Puppy Kindergarten,Pet Manners 1, and New Tricks. My mom and I are also agility training her. I was wondering how you made the contacts to get started as a dog trainer and could you recommend any training programs.
Sincerely,
Vicki
horserider9067

Post by horserider9067 »

Every time someone asks about their dog pulling on the leash it reminds me of this one couple that comes to the animal hospital I work at. For some reason they do not believe in disciplining their dogs at all. They believe the dogs should behave "naturally". It's no surprise that when they come in the dogs are complete maniacs and the woman is constantly saying "don't pull don't pull!!" I really want to say well maybe if you would train your dogs correctly they wouldn't pull...just a thought. But I restrain my self and go on with my business.
Disney Paws

Post by Disney Paws »

I agree, I love the turn around method! My dog is fine with me most of the time, but if anyone else in my family walks him, he's used to them being pushovers with him and when I walk him again, he starts pulling. He has an obsession with finding other dogs and licking plants, so when I turn around, the look on his face is priceless! It's a great method because it's so effective, because once a dog pulls and is fixated on something and you force them to be attentive to you, they learn a lot faster, it's a great positive method that's also a 'quick fix'.