How long to film an episode?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dee-n-Josh

How long to film an episode?

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

After all the work and editing, IMOTD is a 30 minute episode. But, in reality, even teaching the simplest things take some time.

I was just curious how long Victoria is able to spend with the family for each episode?

As it is, the show makes it all look so easy (which lends credence to the belief that Victoria has a magic wand!). Those of us that have put in the real work know that nothing happens in just 30 minutes.

Hopefully Mel & Zulu will be able to give some insight.
Tiger: 4 year old Basenji x something
Solo: 5 month old GSD x Rottie
Both were found at www.petfinder.com
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

In general, Victoria spends 3 days with the family upon first meeting them, followed by a one day return approximately 2 weeks later (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter).
BoardHost
clairefoster

Post by clairefoster »

I can confirm that Victoria was with us for 3 days filming to make the episode and then returned for a day after a two week break.

However I would like to point out (proud mummy moment :lol: ) that the training she did with Red to use the "leave" command was shown in real time and sometimes dogs can pick things up a lot quicker than you might think!!
clairefoster

Post by clairefoster »

I should add though, there was a lot more went into the training in general than was shown (but a lot of that was training Chris and I :oops: ) We spoke to the production team about the fact the show could easily be - and should be- an hour long to show more of what goes on, but unfortunately it fell on deaf ears.
Dee-n-Josh

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

I was sure she spent some time observing, then some time training. But, in 30 minutes, it all looks like miracle work!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

On a personal note: I was REALLY lucky with Tiger, she was eager to learn. I'm starting over, and looking for my own bad behaviors, with the new pup. I've learned SO MUCH from the show, and from the mistakes of others. And, your mistakes have been invaluable to me! Thank you for letting us see and learn with you!
Tiger: 4 year old Basenji x something
Solo: 5 month old GSD x Rottie
Both were found at www.petfinder.com
clairefoster

Post by clairefoster »

I think its tiger that is lucky too as you were prepared to put in the training, and that goes a long way. Unfortunately the extent of our training pre-Victoria, was once a week - if that, with our local trainer and we didn't take them out for walks very often. The majority of our issues were down to us and not the dogs.

I agree though there is loads you can pick up from the show and it is quite sad that it has come to an end.
Ry

Post by Ry »

Yeah, they probably film for 2 or 3 days. Then again two weeks later. Though, she has waited two months for dogs ion extreme cases.
griffin

Post by griffin »

clairefoster wrote:I should add though, there was a lot more went into the training in general than was shown (but a lot of that was training Chris and I :oops: ) We spoke to the production team about the fact the show could easily be - and should be- an hour long to show more of what goes on, but unfortunately it fell on deaf ears.
Bear in mind, an audience often loses interest in things that become redundant or don't move along quickly. So while I would love an hour show from a learning stand point, from an entertainment view, 30 minutes is about as long as you want a show like this.

I too (I should say we too) have learned an incredible amount from watching the show. Now, the rest of the family believes what I have been telling them :P and is joining in. Thus, Eddie is not only better trained, but much, much happier..

He has come so far in so short amount of time, I can see next year at this time, the type of relationship we will have with him, one we envisioned to have with a dog. Thanks to all who participate in this show.