what was that can?

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Tripleb

what was that can?

Post by Tripleb »

I just watched my first show and i loved it!! unfortunately i was letting my chi out when she showed the couple w/the pom and pek something about using a can to control - barking?? visitors?? i missed it...can someone share what kind of aerosol??? can that was, and when it is appropriate to use it? Thanks in advance.
Tripleb
Tripleb

Post by Tripleb »

is there no one who can answer my question????? :( :shock:
Tripleb
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It was compressed air, used as a distraction/sound aversive..

It is only appropriate to use an aversive when you have the hands on help of a behaviourist present.

The reason being that the aversive could easily make the problem worse if the timing is not absolutely correct, or if you dont know why your dog is barking in the first place.

It is very easy to mistake a fearful barker, barking to defend himself, from a confident attention seeking barker - punishing an already fearful dog could push him to worse behaviour, such as biting.
Tripleb

Post by Tripleb »

Thank you emmabeth - I certainly understand what you are saying, and I appreciate that you responded to my question. I suspected that was what it was, but wanted confirmation. Thanks again!
Tripleb
Holldenwolf

is there a train in here?

Post by Holldenwolf »

that would be an <b>air horn</b> attention diversion technique.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_horn

warning: high decibel levels may startle some people possibly causing cardiac arrest or asthmatic attacks. Please implement appropriately.

not to be confused with a gas duster or canned air:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster
which is used for cleaning or dusting.