Great Dane and Headcollar

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Great Dane and Headcollar

Post by ladybug1802 »

I am just watching an episode of the UK version of Its Me or the Dog, and I aam a little surpsied. This episode has a Great Dane who lunges and gets over excited with other dogs....and Victoria has put a headcollar on him, but with no second lead attached to a collar or harness or anything. So the Great Dane is lungeing at the end of the lead on headcollar only...I am surprised when we all know whaty damage can be caused by a dog flailing around on a headcollar only?
JudyN

Re: Great Dane and Headcollar

Post by JudyN »

How old is the show? I think she's moved over to the positive side and learnt much more herself since she lived and filmed over here.

It may be that an experienced dog trainer can manage to predict a dog's movements sufficiently to manage such a big dog in a headcollar but even if this is the case, there should be a 'don't try this at home' warning.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Re: Great Dane and Headcollar

Post by Suzette »

Yep, I bet it's an older episode. I see lots of things Victoria wouldn't do today on those older shows. And she freely admits that she is always growing and learning as a trainer/behaviorist (and rightly so - for her and all of us :wink: ).
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11