show with the husky and the girlfriend who couldn't control

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ewillar2

show with the husky and the girlfriend who couldn't control

Post by ewillar2 »

I recently saw an episode where there was a couple with a husky and the girlfriend could not control him. He would only listen to the boyfriend.

I have the same problem pretty much! And I could really use some help and advise.

My boyfriend and I recently adopted an American Bulldog. He is a wonderful dog and at first it was great. Now he hardly pays me any attention and he hardly listens to me. I find this to be a huge problem. Especially because my boyfriend is starting to put the dog before me, which is so wrong. Every time we are together and my boyfriend walks away the dog just follows him. If he goes inside he will sit there until he comes back, no matter how much I call him he will not come to me. He will continue to sit at the door. Just yesterday we went somewhere in the car and just my boyfriend went in, the dog sat straight up and would only stare out the window until he came back. He would not relax or listen to me when I told him to come to me and lay down. I don't know what to do!! My boyfriend thinks this behavior is ok but I don't think it is ok for the dog to act like this towards me.

Please help!!!!
karimd

Post by karimd »

does he just not listen to you and ignore you or does he do the stuff that the dog on the show did in regards to aggressive behavior and biting?

and did your boyfriend watch the show?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Have you tried any of the techniques Victoria taught the girlfriend in the episode? (Feeding him after she's eaten, etc.)

Good luck, please give us updates!
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Do you do any of the chores in regards to the dog? Feeding, walking, training? Those are all things that would make the dog see you as a member of the family and some one worth paying attention to.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Follow her instructions for that dog to the tee; seriously. In a few days you will notice the change in your pup. Pretend to eat first, use a "strange noise" when your pup is doing something unwanted, fold your arms and turn away when the pup jumps or lunges.

My two year old black lab/Sheppard mix was just like the husky, after a few days of following Victoria's advice, he is the best dog we have ever had. The key is consistency, consistently poor or no teaching him bad behavior got your pup into this behavior, consistently good instruction will have him acting properly and enhance your relationship with him.

However, if there are two living with the pup, it will take both of you to help the pup grow/change. If one of you refuses to work at the relationship with the pup, nothing will change.
DarthAnnieGrace

Post by DarthAnnieGrace »

Definitely try the food thing, pretend to eat first and then be the one to give it to him. That also should show dominance.
Let me know how it turns out, and if that works at all :D

-Annie
lukstruk

The most important part of the episode - the shot

Post by lukstruk »

I love watching her shows! This particular one had a veterinary recommended "shot" to lower the testosterone, versus neutering.

What is this shot? How can I find out more information about it and is it available in the US?
Susan