Episode 215 - Bulldog Battle - May 1

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 215 - Bulldog Battle - May 1

Post by Victoria »

blazerrose wrote:I have two questions - in the beginning when Rufus attacked Jojo by the pool, was their fight not serious enough to break up, or was it that Rufus was aggressing so much, it was dangerous to step in? And, am I remembering the UK series correctly that Chaos was also a bulldog? If so, is there something in the breed to be aware of? Thanks a bunch!
James did step in and break up the fight at the beginning. Chaos was an English Bull Terrier. Regardless, Bulldogs and Bull Terriers are wonderful dogs, but they can sometimes be impulsive, so owners really need to know what they're doing.
animals

Post by animals »

Hi Victoria,
My aunt rescued an Italian Greyhound, Scarlet, from a puppy mill. Scarlet is now three years old and is still not 100% house broken and she is very nervous and timid. Do you think this will change with time, or is this behavior going to continue? :D

Lauren
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Salomé wrote:About the episode, did the Odoms give away the lab too? I didn't see him being trained in the "turn away" and I would think given Rufus' issues with other dogs, if the lab had still been around, he would have needed to be trained too in order to avoid any potential difficulties with Rufus.
Shelly was not given away. We did do some work with her as well, but it wasn't shown during the show.
animals

Post by animals »

Hi Victoria,
Why did the owners want to give up the bulldog when you could have worked with him longer?

Lauren[quote][/quote]
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

animals wrote:Hi Victoria,
This is my first time chatting live with you. I don't know if I'm doing it right. My grandma just got a pit-bull puppy and she refuses to crate train him. Do
you recommend crate training? Thanks so much.

Lauren
HI Lauren, and welcome! Yes, you're doing it right. I'm not a tech guru either, so we're in this together.

Crate training can be a good way to train, but you don't have to in all cases. As long as you puppy-proof the house/room and set the pup up for success, you'll be fine.
blazerrose

Post by blazerrose »

Victoria wrote: James did step in and break up the fight at the beginning. Chaos was an English Bull Terrier. Regardless, Bulldogs and Bull Terriers are wonderful dogs, but they can sometimes be impulsive, so owners really need to know what they're doing.
Thanks for your answer! :)
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

sj96skittles wrote:Hey Victoria!! Great episode!! Kudos to the odom family 4 rehoming jojo! I know it was a hard thing to do. I have 3 ?s.
How is jojo doing in his new home?
I didn't really get the purpose of teaching the dogs turn away. Was it to teach the dogs not to go 4 eachother if a fight starts?
Did u do any teqniques with wolfgang by teaching him that Rufus means good things happen to him?
Thank u so much again 4 ur time:) greatly appriciated
You got it, skittles. it was to help them avoid confrontations.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

animals wrote:Hi Victoria!!
Why is it important not to repeat a command over and over when training your dog? :D
Consistency is key in positive reinforcement training. If you're not consistent, the dog doesn't learn the consequences (good or bad) of certain actions.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

"Ragging" is also known as the "Death shake"
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Victoria Are you coming down to So FL anytime this yr? My boy Max and I would love to meet you :D
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

ssgmoser wrote:Victoria,

I realize this is off subject but I am really looking for some advice. I saw that you supposedly went to Animal Behavior College at one point. I am currently speaking to an advisor at that school and am looking to become a certified dog trainer. I was wondering if you found this school to be a good one.
Joe
I did not go to Animal Behavior College or ever study with them. There is some confusion, because the organization with whom I first received my accreditation eventually evolved into what is now ABC. It didn't exist (to my knowledge) when I became a trainer. Thanks for the question. There are several good training schools and programs out there, and ABC is in the mix.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

What amazes me is that there was a dog training company they'd been to who were more than happy to train Wolfgang to be an attack dog with no questions asked. So irresponsible. Having them see what such dogs are capable of live and in person was invaluable for me to help convince them to let the idea go. And those were highly trained dogs - Wolfgang would doubtless not have gotten the training he would've required.
I was also amazed when they said Wolfgang was going away for training
in the next week, if I recall correctly. Their trainers were going to start
work with that baby? I should think he'd still be on socialization, housebreaking,
and getting lots of hugs and attention, not learning to be a guard dog.

I hope I heard that wrong...if not, that's one more example for the need to
check out trainers very carefully when you look for help. I'm glad we can find
help through your Positivity associated trainers now.

Skye and the white collies
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

ssgmoser wrote:Victoria,
What do you think of pronged collars? I am wondering if I have turned my dog aggressive by using one?
I hate them. They look like medieval torture contraptions and ultimately I think they hurt the bond between dog and owner. It is certainly possible that a dog who experiences pain like that can cause an aggressive response. There is hope though - study up on positive reinforcement on this site (and ask your questions in the 'dog training advice' forum here) and you'll find the tools to reverse any damage that may have been done. Thanks for being open to the change!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:How was it in Colorado?
Beautiful! A bit nippy, though by Atlanta standards...
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thanks for joining us, everyone! Great chat tonight - sorry I couldn't get to more questions. Keep watching, keep training, and I'll see you next week!
Victoria