Episode 214 - Florence & Fiona - April 24

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ServiceDogDobie

Re: Episode 214 - Florence & Fiona - April 24

Post by ServiceDogDobie »

C. Saling I am disabled, and looking for a new Service Dog, Retrieving is one of the things the dog would have to do. Fiona was such a cutie, and a VERY QUICK learner as well. I was surprised how fast she caught on to everything, I've seen a few dogs Victoria has helped and it takes a few tries before they caught on.
thayeso

Post by thayeso »

BoardHost wrote:Guys,
Let's keep chatter about other TV dog trainers to a minimum here - this is a discussion with Victoria about last weekend's show. Thanks, and enjoy the chat!
Sorry.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

JessikaXoxO wrote:That whole crate situation literally turned my stomach! You make it look so easy on the show as far as teaching behaviors and what not, but my little guy is a terrorist, no exaggeration, he is a terrorist and I can't seem to get him under control! Is it just a Chihuahua thing?
Sounds like you're having fun. When a dog is in a small crate for hours and hours day after day, bad behaviors will just get worse and worse. There are solutions like getting dog walkers, doggie daycare, other family members, etc. Chihuahuas can be just as challenging as bigger dogs, but a lot of times I find that smaller dogs have bigger issues because their owners let them get away with more misbehavior than they might tolerate with a bigger dog. Could that be the case? Good luck.
ServiceDogDobie

Victoria:

I wont use a crate for my next dog due to the fact it will hopefully become my Service Dog, It will need to be with me all the time. Had Lexy been able to become a Service Dog after a week or 2 she wouldn't of needed to be crated at night, I only did it because I couldn't watch her to see if she'd drive my cat crazy. Lexy Knew "LEAVE IT." when I got her I let her sniff my cat then said "LEXY LEAVE IT," And she did. And no longer bothered my cat, I think crating is ok for down time or potty training personally. :D
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:I know that your gonna be wearing black in the new episodes, but i was wondering if you get to choose the clothes you wear on the show. I was also wondering if you got to control what the narrator says.
As for the narrator, I do give my input there.

Regarding the clothes, my wardrobe has been the topic of much discussion through the years. I remember a UK TV reviewer once making a big deal of a rather nice pink top I wore in one of the early episodes. Hmmm. I am glad to have moved away somewhat from what many seemed to call the 'dominatrix' getup from some of the UK episodes, but while I went through a bit of a colorful phase during some of the summer episodes, I think we'll be back to a bit more black. At the end of the day, all I really care about is whether I'm too hot or cold and whether or not I'm comfortable. I leave the rest up to the wardrobe folks.
JessikaXoxO

Post by JessikaXoxO »

I'm not one of those girls who treats their Chihuhua like a baby and all that nonsense, I don't think I let Mr. Big get away with anything. He is not babied, I am not his mother he is not my child. He catches on quickly, very quickly to behaviors....now if only he had come with a MUTE button.....
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

ServiceDogDobie wrote:Victoria was Fiona's issues due to only lack of exercise and being crated too long during the day? My mom HATED when I used a crate for my dogs she seems to think it's inhumane, I only left my 2nd Shepherd Lexy in for a max 2 hours during the day and slept there over night, how can I get my mom to see it's not inhumane and is VERY comon to use a crate?????????
Fiona's issues were due to both a lack of exercise and being crated too long. The crate Jessica was using was also too small, even for little Fiona.

You are correct that crating is not necessarily inhumane. I use them for housetraining a puppy, and I also sometimes like to make a crate the dog's bed. A maximum of two hours per day is absolutely fine, and sleeping in there at night is ok, too. Tell your mom it is in fact pretty common and doesn't have to be used or seen as a negative thing by the dog or owner.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

C.Saling wrote:I teach people to train their own service dogs as part of my job. I was so happy for the little dog when she almost completed a retrieve at the end of the show that I said "Yes! good dog!" and all of my dogs came rushing into the room hoping that we would train. It was so funny!
Fiona was a fantastic little dog. Very very smart, and she learned really quickly. Such a pleaser, too - very eager to please and she loved learning. Working with dogs like Fiona who love being challenged in training is one of the joys that makes dog training such a wonderful profession. I laughed when watched the episode, as she is one of those special dogs who just brightens people's days.
thayeso

Post by thayeso »

Victoria wrote:
dontpugme wrote:I know that your gonna be wearing black in the new episodes, but i was wondering if you get to choose the clothes you wear on the show. I was also wondering if you got to control what the narrator says.
As for the narrator, I do give my input there.

Regarding the clothes, my wardrobe has been the topic of much discussion through the years. I remember a UK TV reviewer once making a big deal of a rather nice pink top I wore in one of the early episodes. Hmmm. I am glad to have moved away somewhat from what many seemed to call the 'dominatrix' getup from some of the UK episodes, but while I went through a bit of a colorful phase during some of the summer episodes, I think we'll be back to a bit more black. At the end of the day, all I really care about is whether I'm too hot or cold and whether or not I'm comfortable. I leave the rest up to the wardrobe folks.

It's really best for Victoria to wear black. I have read posts on her facebook page and had to report the post...I'll leave it at that.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:Do you get to choose what music goes into the show. (the dramatic music for when a dog is about to agress or the happy-go-lucky music when a dog is being mischievous)
No, I leave the music up to the production company. Do you like it?
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Victoria, Did you miss my post on page one? Just wondering. I know that it been a little dif here to night sorry :(
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
C.Saling

Post by C.Saling »

ServiceDogDobie wrote:C. Saling I am disabled, and looking for a new Service Dog, Retrieving is one of the things the dog would have to do. Fiona was such a cutie, and a VERY QUICK learner as well. I was surprised how fast she caught on to everything, I've seen a few dogs Victoria has helped and it takes a few tries before they caught on.

Retrieve can be a tricky behavior to train for some dogs. The trick is to break it down into it's small peices and if possible back chain it so that giving you the object is the most rehearsed behavior with the highest reinforcement history. I just loved watching the entire family get all excited by the dog's newest behavior. Likewise, it was so cute and so nice to see a dog learning how to help one of it's owners.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

ServiceDogDobie wrote: I think crating is ok for down time or potty training personally. :D
I agree. See my post above re crating.
ServiceDogDobie

I think it would of been really cool though if Fiona started helping Florence more since she's older and uses a scooter, like picking up stuff around the house like Service Dogs do. I know how Fiona's daddy feels, my parents "MADE" me give up my Doberman Takkera who was my Service Dog March 2009 because they didn't want her here, :twisted: now I am struggling EVERYDAY. :( And trying so hard to find my own place so I can get another Dobie to train to become my Service Dog
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Victoria wrote:
dontpugme wrote:Do you get to choose what music goes into the show. (the dramatic music for when a dog is about to agress or the happy-go-lucky music when a dog is being mischievous)
No, I leave the music up to the production company. Do you like it?
My favorite was when the Entertainer was played while Hoss the weimeraner was stealing peanut butter from the cabinet. I heard one of the songs that play at the beginning of the eps shot in LA that had the beach on a Nutrisystem commercial. :lol:
--dontpugme