Episode 213 - Lazy Dog Days - April 17

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 213 - Lazy Dog Days - April 17

Post by Victoria »

k9partnership wrote:Big dogs - did you recommend 'no-pull' harnesses for them? I agree with everything you showed them - more structure needed to balance family life.
No, I didn't recommend no-pull harnesses because they weren't needed and because they were too big and strong for them. Roman actually turned out to be a good walker given just a little direction from me. No-pull harnesses work best with mild to medium pulling cases. With really big dogs or severe pullers, I've found them to be somewhat ineffective. Each case is different, and though they're great products, not every product fits each case.
Inny

Post by Inny »

Hey Victoria!
I absolutely LOVED this week's episode! You addressed some of the issues I'm having with my own dog (German Shepherd puppy). I can't bathe him because he is actually afraid of running water - the belief is that its only in the bathtub. So I'll be trying out the wet glove thing as soon as it gets a little warmer outside. I was also wondering if you could maybe offer some advice? Like that family, I have gates to keep my puppy, Axis, out of the kitchen. However, he jumps it! He doesn't like to stay put on his pillow, even when we leave his kong filled with yummy snacks. He loves being by my side. If he were like my other dog, this wouldn't be a problem, but he is large enough to reach the food on the table, so I can't turn my back to him. Its not that he doesn't listen though. If I'm blocking him from getting in to to the kitchen and just point for him to go back, he will, but the moment I turn my back to go back to what I was doing, he turns around and comes right back! Do you think you can give me some pointers on how to work with him? Also, it was clear that Chad had failed to socialize his dog because he (Chad) was lazy and just didn't want to take his dogs out. However, Roman (that was the black one's name, right?) did wonderfully! I've seen episodes where you work with dogs that have aggression/fear issues with other dogs and people. Again back to my puppy, he is a flirt and loves to socialize with women. He gets along great with most dogs (he is afraid of dogs larger than him, but he is slowly becoming more comfortable with them now that he is a rather large dog himself). However, he is terrified of men. I've done everything I can to socialize my puppy. When I first got him, I would take him EVERYWHERE with me. I made sure to I got him to experience a whole mess of things. I don't understand why is so afraid of men. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do with him? He is a real sweetheart and my hope was that one day he could /maybe/ be a therapy dog, but I don't think that will be possible if he is so afraid of men.

Anyways, I'm a big fan Victoria! I watch the reruns every morning before I go to class. I actually would love to be a part time dog trainer thanks to you. Honestly I would love to volunteer at an animal shelter and work with the dogs they have there - so I'm hoping that this summer I can do that!

Love the Show! Its taught me so much already and I hope to learn a whole lot more!

~ Inny
BlondeTornado

Post by BlondeTornado »

I enjoy your show. :D

Lorraine Gaudio, CPDT-KA
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I saw you used the pledge fabric sweeper for pet hair. Do you think you are going to use it in the future on your show. I saw a commercial for it with you in it.

I also saw that commercial you were tweeting about with Cache the dog. I never thought of wiping with a damp towel. I'm gonna try it.
--dontpugme
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Dominika wrote:I am planning on getting a dog now and I'm researching into breeds, I want a larger dog, but I'm a bit afraid I wouldn't be able to give quite enough excersise to a Malamute in my current situation and I don't quite know how much help I'll receive from my boyfriend :-P He has never had a dog - doesn't QUITE now what he's getting himself into ;) . The thing I am most excited about is training and giving the dog what I haven't to my previous dog and positive reinforcement will be so rewarding!!!!

My point.......After I finish university I am hoping to get into dog training, but is there a good alternative to the American ABC in the UK????????

You have my respect, Victoria!!! I sadly really never knew before how much can be done with the right approach. I am amazed how much you do for the dogs AND for the owners on top of it all. I hope I will be able to make such difference in dogs' lives one day.
Thanks, Dominika.

I wouldn't get hung up on a specific breed. I'd encourage you to visit your local shelter to look at some rescue dogs, but regardless of where the dog comes from, just be sure you get one that has an energy level and breed characteristics that are a good match for your living environment and lifestyle. Positive reinforcement techniques work on all dogs - big, small, young, old, purebred or mixbreed.

The main thing I would caution you about, however, is making sure your boyfriend is on board with the whole process. If you are living together, he is going to need to be fully aware of his responsibilities with the dog as well as be willing to help by being consistent with your training regimen. If he's not, it could spell disaster for you, your dog, and also your relationship! I've seen it too many times....

PM BoardHost about your question regarding training courses and colleges in the UK - he'll be able to point you in the right direction offline.

Good luck!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Darin wrote:Hi Victoria,

I had two dogs, a Maltese and a Shitzu for about ten years. They pretty much became 'peas and carrots'..did everything together etc. One died, then about a month later the other did. I am thinking about getting dogs again. But I have a question: When you have two dogs for so long, when one dies, what is the best way to keep the other one from be effected by the loss?

Thanks!

Darin
Great question. So sorry about your loss. My beloved cat Angelica died a few months ago, so I know what you're going through.

I'm not sure there is a roadmap for this kind of thing (bereavement counselling for surviving pets). As with most issues regarding pets, every situation is different. Sometimes, the bond that can exist between animal friends can be overwhelming, and I have to believe that the very existence of such a bond is the thing that we most identify with and celebrate in our pets. You can try different things though - foster other animals, increase attention and outings for the survivor, that sort of thing. Best of luck with your new dogs, and sorry again for your loss.
sck7290

Post by sck7290 »

Victoria,
I missed your show on Saturday, sadly. I do catch all the re-runs however! I've learned, cried, and laughed at some of the experiences you've encountered. But I want you to know that I really admire you. Actually, because of your show it has influenced my career path. I'm majoring in Therapeutic Recreation, soon to be graduated from college. Later on down my path I would love to work with some type of canine assistance program. I truly thank you for having such a great impact on my life and the lives of others! Keep it up!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I'm so sorry about the loss of Angelica. You gave her a very good life and I'm sure she is at peace now. She had a really good owner.
--dontpugme
Dominika

Post by Dominika »

Victoria wrote:
The main thing I would caution you about, however, is making sure your boyfriend is on board with the whole process. If you are living together, he is going to need to be fully aware of his responsibilities with the dog as well as be willing to help by being consistent with your training regimen. If he's not, it could spell disaster for you, your dog, and also your relationship! I've seen it too many times....
Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I have been for so long considering what to do, constantly reminding my boyfriend at any opportunity that had anything to do with dog ownership about what his duties will be - no matter what weather - rain or slush the dog will need excercise... I'm just really concerned and so excited at the same time :) We also have 3 rats which makes it more difficult to get a dog from a shelter because it is much easier to get a puppy used to other animals in the house, is it not? I'm quite worried about hunting instincts due to my Alaskan Malamute that has killed a duck and seriously injured a sheep :-/.........
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Inny wrote:Its not that he doesn't listen though. If I'm blocking him from getting in to to the kitchen and just point for him to go back, he will, but the moment I turn my back to go back to what I was doing, he turns around and comes right back! Do you think you can give me some pointers on how to work with him?
Sounds like this is just an issue of consistency. Make sure you charge up the training by taking baby steps and don't move on to the next stage of training until he remains in a 'stay' where you want him for as long as you want. You've already conquered the hardest part - making sure he's focused on and listening to you. Now you just need to close the deal. It'll come.
However, he is terrified of men. I've done everything I can to socialize my puppy. When I first got him, I would take him EVERYWHERE with me. I made sure to I got him to experience a whole mess of things. I don't understand why is so afraid of men. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do with him? He is a real sweetheart and my hope was that one day he could /maybe/ be a therapy dog, but I don't think that will be possible if he is so afraid of men.
You saw how challenging it can be to pass the therapy dog test - don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen. Regarding the problem with fear of men, see if you can find the 'Toby' episode from the UK series of the show. We dealt with exactly this issue. Basically, you have to arrange for training with men so that they become the source of all good things for the dog. Takes a lot of time, but it works.
Darin

Post by Darin »

Victoria wrote:
Darin wrote:Hi Victoria,

I had two dogs, a Maltese and a Shitzu for about ten years. They pretty much became 'peas and carrots'..did everything together etc. One died, then about a month later the other did. I am thinking about getting dogs again. But I have a question: When you have two dogs for so long, when one dies, what is the best way to keep the other one from be effected by the loss?

Thanks!

Darin
Great question. So sorry about your loss. My beloved cat Angelica died a few months ago, so I know what you're going through.

I'm not sure there is a roadmap for this kind of thing (bereavement counselling for surviving pets). As with most issues regarding pets, every situation is different. Sometimes, the bond that can exist between animal friends can be overwhelming, and I have to believe that the very existence of such a bond is the thing that we most identify with and celebrate in our pets. You can try different things though - foster other animals, increase attention and outings for the survivor, that sort of thing. Best of luck with your new dogs, and sorry again for your loss.

Thanks!...fostering other animals is a good idea. Once the weather starts to cool down again (in about 5 months--i am in phoenix AZ) i think i will go to the shelter and save a couple of new buddies. I wish i had thought of/saw your idea of putting down 'doggy pee pads' throughout the room and then taking one away per day a long time ago. Would have saved ALOT of money on steamcleaning white carpets. ha!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

BlondeTornado wrote:I enjoy your show. :D

Lorraine Gaudio, CPDT-KA
Thanks, Lorraine! It's a fun job, and I'm lucky to have it! Best of luck to you.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:I saw you used the pledge fabric sweeper for pet hair. Do you think you are going to use it in the future on your show. I saw a commercial for it with you in it.

I also saw that commercial you were tweeting about with Cache the dog. I never thought of wiping with a damp towel. I'm gonna try it.
I'll certainly use it again if future situations warrant it.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

sck7290 wrote:Victoria,
I missed your show on Saturday, sadly. I do catch all the re-runs however! I've learned, cried, and laughed at some of the experiences you've encountered. But I want you to know that I really admire you. Actually, because of your show it has influenced my career path. I'm majoring in Therapeutic Recreation, soon to be graduated from college. Later on down my path I would love to work with some type of canine assistance program. I truly thank you for having such a great impact on my life and the lives of others! Keep it up!
Wow, what an honor, sck7290. Thank you. I'm glad the show has helped you, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your career path choice. I have a big place in my heart for assistance dogs and the organizations that train and place them. I was volunteering on Pier 94 in NYC right after 9/11 and saw the awesome power of the therapy dogs at work with the family members of the victims. It helped inspire me to create my Foundation which will support canine assistance organizations do their amazing work. So I'm with you!! Keep it up, yourself!
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

victoria do you take great pride in making men start to listen after you "confronted" them!!!