Episode 213 - Lazy Dog Days - April 17

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 213 - Lazy Dog Days - April 17

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:I'm so sorry about the loss of Angelica. You gave her a very good life and I'm sure she is at peace now. She had a really good owner.
She was a really sweet kitty. Maine Coon. She was a rescue that came into the NY SPCA with a bad cold the week after 9/11. We were fostering tons of dogs and cats at that time, and she is one that just stuck with us. She had some pretty bad medical conditions towards the end of her life (tumors, kidney failure, etc), so she is in a much better place now indeed. Thanks for your thoughts.
Inny

Post by Inny »

Sounds like this is just an issue of consistency. Make sure you charge up the training by taking baby steps and don't move on to the next stage of training until he remains in a 'stay' where you want him for as long as you want. You've already conquered the hardest part - making sure he's focused on and listening to you. Now you just need to close the deal. It'll come.
I can do that! Thank you! :)
You saw how challenging it can be to pass the therapy dog test - don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen. Regarding the problem with fear of men, see if you can find the 'Toby' episode from the UK series of the show. We dealt with exactly this issue. Basically, you have to arrange for training with men so that they become the source of all good things for the dog. Takes a lot of time, but it works.
I know, it is very hard to pass the therapy dog test :( I did a research paper in my senior year in high school on therapy dogs and I had to do a lot of research on the actual test. Thus I fell in love with dog training and therapy dogs. My older girl is almost ready to take the test and I have high hopes for her, but I know its tough so I can accept if she doesn't cut it. I know she's still a great dog and that's all that really matters to me! :D I'll go searching for this Toby episode. Thanks so much! Victoria, YOU ROCK!
BoxerLuv

Post by BoxerLuv »

Do you think the same techniques you used for the dogs aggression on the bed would work for my dogs when I walk them? My female has become very dominant and goes after my two males when we are walking them.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Dominika wrote:We also have 3 rats which makes it more difficult to get a dog from a shelter because it is much easier to get a puppy used to other animals in the house, is it not? I'm quite worried about hunting instincts due to my Alaskan Malamute that has killed a duck and seriously injured a sheep :-/.........
RATS!!??!! Don't get a dog with any type of prey drive at all, unless you're tired of having the rats around (which I think I would be :? ) Sounds like you've seen firsthand what a hunter can do to much bigger prey (ducks and sheep!!??!!)

Good luck to you, sounds like you're gonna need it!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:victoria do you take great pride in making men start to listen after you "confronted" them!!!
Hmm. I think I'll answer that by saying that I'm just happy to be in a position to hopefully make the animals' lives better.
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

politically correct enough!
LaurenJ

Post by LaurenJ »

Hello Victoria!

I have three rescue dogs and our family loves you and your great advice. I have two large hound mixes and a golden retriever and we are expecting our first baby in October. Watching this episode was extremely helpful for us because we are finding ourselves in the same situation: 3 dogs and a baby. The youngest dog in episode 213 was very excited to see company and even urinated on the floor. And while our dogs don't urinate, they are unable to control themselves when company -- or even my husband and myself -- enter the house. My question is should I be training my hounds differently (for any of your methods: walks, commands, treating) since they are so overly sensitive to smells and sounds?
Darin

Post by Darin »

Victoria, was just wondering: do you think you could be a Westminster Dog Show judge, or would want to be one if asked? :)
Dominika

Post by Dominika »

Victoria wrote: RATS!!??!! Don't get a dog with any type of prey drive at all, unless you're tired of having the rats around (which I think I would be :? ) Sounds like you've seen firsthand what a hunter can do to much bigger prey (ducks and sheep!!??!!)

Good luck to you, sounds like you're gonna need it!
You don't sound very encouraging with all the exclamations though :D I will try my best to make the right decision. Rats aren't as bad as I once thought as well, they are a bit of a challenge as well. Girls aren't easy to tame, and littertraining is a big challenge, but they are very sweet and do funny things when they are enjoying something - if you have heard of boggling, and they are great attention seekers as well :) My first time with rats as we thought our landlord wouldn't let us have a dog - but he did!! :)
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

BoxerLuv wrote:Do you think the same techniques you used for the dogs aggression on the bed would work for my dogs when I walk them? My female has become very dominant and goes after my two males when we are walking them.
All I did with the dogs on the bed was teach them to get off. Sounds like you'll need to use different techniques on the walks. Are you sure the female is being dominant? Could be that she's just getting over-aroused or frustrated. Be sure to get a correct diagnosis of the behavior before you try to solve it. Good luck!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

LaurenJ wrote:Hello Victoria!

I have three rescue dogs and our family loves you and your great advice. I have two large hound mixes and a golden retriever and we are expecting our first baby in October. Watching this episode was extremely helpful for us because we are finding ourselves in the same situation: 3 dogs and a baby. The youngest dog in episode 213 was very excited to see company and even urinated on the floor. And while our dogs don't urinate, they are unable to control themselves when company -- or even my husband and myself -- enter the house. My question is should I be training my hounds differently (for any of your methods: walks, commands, treating) since they are so overly sensitive to smells and sounds?
No, the methods should all be used the same way. In fact, you can use the fact that they're hypersensitive to smells and sounds to your advantage! You've already found what makes them tick.
BoxerLuv

Post by BoxerLuv »

Victoria wrote:
BoxerLuv wrote:Do you think the same techniques you used for the dogs aggression on the bed would work for my dogs when I walk them? My female has become very dominant and goes after my two males when we are walking them.
All I did with the dogs on the bed was teach them to get off. Sounds like you'll need to use different techniques on the walks. Are you sure the female is being dominant? Could be that she's just getting over-aroused or frustrated. Be sure to get a correct diagnosis of the behavior before you try to solve it. Good luck!
Ok I'll try to pay more attention and see what's setting her off. Thanks
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thanks to everyone for participating tonight - great questions and a lot of fun. Thanks for watching, and I'll see you here next week!
Victoria
itsbeth

Post by itsbeth »

Ah, I missed the chat, but I wanted to give a little tip to anyone considering the Pledge Pet Fabric Sweeper - Pledge markets it as a disposable product, but you can actually get many, many uses out of it if you have a vacuum cleaner with a thin crevice tool. Just stick that in between the rollers and suck out the accumulated hair! If you don't have a vacuum cleaner, the hook part of a wire coathanger will work in a pinch. Not only is it much cheaper than buying a whole new fabric sweeper every couple of weeks, it helps keep a load of plastic out of landfills. :wink: I swear by my Fabric Sweeper and I've been using it for over a year!