Episode 208 - Nervous Newlyweds - March 6

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 208 - Nervous Newlyweds - March 6

Post by BoardHost »

Post your questions for Victoria here about the March 6 episode of It's Me or the Dog, "Nervous Newlyweds."

Please note - Due to the Academy Awards, Victoria will not be answering these questions live on Sunday night as usual. Instead, please post your questions now and she will answer them later in the week.

Michael and Hana Wolff's two dogs Daisy and Cookie Dough have made it dangerous for them to have friends over. With the first wedding anniversary fast approaching, Victoria is called in to help get things under control so that the couple's friends and family feel more comfortable in their house.
BoardHost
sunnynacho

Re: Episode 208 - Nervous Newlyweds - March 6

Post by sunnynacho »

Hi Victoria!

We loved the episode, as usual. Two questions.

First, I saw that both dogs were using what I think are gentle leader leashes. I've heard really horrible things about these leashes and read reviews about people that swear they put it on properly and still their dog absolutely hated it and it hurt them a lot. What is your take on these leashes, and do you recommend them as a last resort or are they not that bad?

Second, in all of your episodes you use treats, which always work great. What happens when a dog is completely unmotivated by food? Particularly when out walking and you need to get their attention to stop from reacting, what if a treat won't work? In that situation you can't really hand out a toy instead, you want to keep walking. We've never really met a dog that isn't motivated by food though :D But we were just wondering.

Thanks for your time!
Cheers!!
bordercollielover

Post by bordercollielover »

Hi Victoria, my husband and I are big fans of yours and use many of your methods of training. We have a 3 year old purebred Border collie that has a habit of licking herself in the wrong place,(if you know what I mean) we have tried to break her of it but sometimes she gets to going and humps as well while licking herself. She is fixed so I don't understand why she does this. Also, she is always trying to lick me in the same place but doesn't do this to my husband. It gets kind of annoying because she is a Border collie she is very persistent about this. Is there any advise you can give me in regards to this? We love your show and watch it all the time.

Best regards,
one of your biggest fans :wink:
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Hi Victoria!! I have 2 questions. Did daisy react differently to certain people or were they all the same? If so what made her react differently around different people? What makes dogs ( like cookie) eat so fast? Is it anxiety or something like that? Thank you so much 4 your time!!! Great show last night!!! I love all your shows!!! Victoria you're the best!!! :D
Ridgeback Lover

Post by Ridgeback Lover »

Hi Victoria, love the show, I watch all of them, even the repeats of the repeats!! :D

I have an 8 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback and I love him to death except for the fact he has separation anxiety. I have tried everything that I have seen on your show not to mention a million other things to include medication and I cannot seem to help him get past this.

He goes to Doggie Day Care 5 days a week while I am at work so that he gets lots of socialization and exercise. He has a great time when he is there.

My husband and I can't even go to dinner or have a night out becuase he gets destructive and I worry the whole time we are gone.

Any advice you would give me would be tremendously appreciated and used!! I am at my wits end!!

Thank you!
Peggy Thorpe
morticia44

Post by morticia44 »

Victoria,
I have a rat terrier also, and she too snack out of the litter box. We bought the same litter box you gave to the people, and our rat terrier, Nora walks right in te box to get her "snacks"
Also I can believe they walk their rat terrier with out a harness.

Keep up the great work, look forward to many new shows.

Raina
Cape Coral, FL
JRTSnaBC

Post by JRTSnaBC »

Its apparent that the Halti wasn't used correctly on the show or was an unintended edit to show that. Did the couple actually learn how to use it correctly?

I use the GL myself and it works wonderfully! It helps 'busy' dogs get focus of course with a positive introduction. I would get stares and negative responses from people because I had them wear because of their dog's bad experiences with it. I will tell you first hand, the dog's 'bravado' lowers and the tails drops but after several sessions, they're all perking but very focused on YOU. I used the GL because I had put my JRTs on Susan Garrett's "Ruff Love" which worked admirably for both dogs. I will admit I did back off on one dog because I decided after doing it, I was going to retire her from agility.

Kudos Victoria for explaining that there are differences of a 'backyard breeder' and a 'proper/caring/serious breeder'. That needs to be mentioned more and more to the public!

Back to the show, so essentially you CC'd the dog's emotionally responses with food to get a positive reaction and over time the dog's reaction. So what would be your next step if the CC'ing had failed? Something along the lines with Premack Principle or something from McDevitt's "Controlled Unleashed" or CAT???
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

victoria, i know you have been "EXTREMELY" busy as of late.i was just wondering if you are still going to answer the eight is enough questions? i just thought i had a really good question and wanted to get your take! And i also tried your technique for the vacuum. my dog freaked out worse than cookie, by watching what you did my dog although has broke the old vacuum doesnt want to destroy the new one. thanks!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

In the poop eating pugs episode you used those break fast type bowls. Was there a particular reason for using the treat ball. I was just wondering because I'm a fan of treat balls. Loved the episode as usual!
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

dontpugme wrote:In the poop eating pugs episode you used those break fast type bowls. Was there a particular reason for using the treat ball. I was just wondering because I'm a fan of treat balls. Loved the episode as usual!
Victoria said in the show "it also keeps cookie from inhaleing such massive amount fulls at the same time." so she used the treatball probly cause cookie ate faster than the pugs