Episode 207 - Dangerous Territory - Feb 20

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sunnynacho

Re: Episode 207 - Dangerous Territory - Feb 20

Post by sunnynacho »

Thanks for taking the time to give us such a great answer! We'll definitely follow your advice on this one.

The three of us were sitting together waiting for you and we'll continue watching every week.

Cheers!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

nalaandsimba wrote:When walking a dog, is there ever any reason you would recommend or say its ok to give a leash jerk to get the dog's attention if shes not responding to a verbal interruption? (standard nylon collar, no prong or choke collars). Also, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to be here so many sunday nights to answer all these questions.
This can be a grey area. In general, I'd say the words 'leash jerk' fall into a more punitive category which I don't support, but it depends on how hard you're 'jerking' the leash. For example, when I'm leash training a dog, you've probably seen me suddently change directions and walk in the opposite direction with the dog, and as a result the dog sometimes gets turned around via the leash more quickly. In such cases, I always give a verbal indicator that I'm about to turn and I'm always very careful not to make it a jerk, pop or yank, but just a firm, gentle redirection.

So short answer? No, I don't think a leash jerk (as I would define it) is ever appropriate. Thanks for the question and for being a part of the community!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:So you experienced your first dog bite.fortunately for you there was leather in the way.You kept composed but were you freaking out a little bit with a little vicious dog trying to eat yor toes! Ive been bitten over 20 times by an american eskimo breaking skin, but my worst dog mauling i ever had was from a miniature schnauzer.those little dogs are no joke.
No, I wasn't freaked out. Little dogs can indeed pack quite a punch, but the leather boots really helped in this case!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:Could you feel the bite? Were there bite marks in your boot? If you had moved your foot, would Nico still try to bite?
Yes, I could feel that there were bite marks, and if I had removed my foot, he just would’ve continued biting.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:are you going to answer last weeks questions?
Yes. Sorry for the delay. I'll get to them this week!
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

great! thank you.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

mustlovdoggs wrote:Victoria I had a question about last week. Peanut butter with the spoon and leash. Did you give him the peanut butter then show him the leash and if the leach up set him did you take the peanut butter away. I need to use this one on of my dogs so I want to get it right. Thanks for your answer.
I showed him the leash and then immediately gave him the peanut butter. The reason why I used peanut butter on a spoon was to give him a sustained reinforcer - it made him feel good around the leash. He didn't get upset, but if he had, I would've tried to find an even bigger motivator than peanut butter.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

A few weeks ago when you worked with the 1 eyed dog who had people aggression you placed her in the kitchen behind a baby gate. Yet with Neeko you had him put in the bedroom out of view--what is the rationale behind either method? Both dogs were biters, & fearful, nervous, etc.

off the topec for just a sec, my dog decided to move off his bed in the middle of the night & sleep on the floor No problem. However my husband decided that he shold go back to his bed ( no logical reson given) So when he went to reach for his collar ( in the dark, while he was groggy) Max bit him. he was very angry of course & thinks max is not a good dog. I feel he deserved to be bit. He had no buisness trying to move him in the middle of the night. Am I right that max should've been left alone.
Thx. Always love the show!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

kimb123 wrote:Hi, Victoria! That was a great episode!

How had Toby and Neeko been getting along since you were gone?

Thanks.
Kimmy
Thanks! The dogs have been doing very well. I saw Cortez about 3 weeks ago and all was well.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

sunnynacho wrote:Thanks for taking the time to give us such a great answer! We'll definitely follow your advice on this one.

The three of us were sitting together waiting for you and we'll continue watching every week.

Cheers!
My pleasure - good luck!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Thanks for answering our questions, Victoria! :D
--dontpugme
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

maximoo wrote:A few weeks ago when you worked with the 1 eyed dog who had people aggression you placed her in the kitchen behind a baby gate. Yet with Neeko you had him put in the bedroom out of view--what is the rationale behind either method? Both dogs were biters, & fearful, nervous, etc.

off the topec for just a sec, my dog decided to move off his bed in the middle of the night & sleep on the floor No problem. However my husband decided that he shold go back to his bed ( no logical reson given) So when he went to reach for his collar ( in the dark, while he was groggy) Max bit him. he was very angry of course & thinks max is not a good dog. I feel he deserved to be bit. He had no buisness trying to move him in the middle of the night. Am I right that max should've been left alone.
Thx. Always love the show!
Neeko couldn't cope with the sight of the person, whereas Princess (the 1-eyed dog) could. Each case is different, so the training is tailored to suit each individual dog.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thanks to everyone for your questions tonight. Talk to you next time!
Victoria