Episode 205 - Killer Intincts - Jan 30

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Thepupstopshere

Re: Episode 205 - Killer Intincts - Jan 30

Post by Thepupstopshere »

Posting during the week sounds like a good idea. Not only does it allow you to respond when you can and not be tied down to a certain time, but the same will be good for many of us. Also, the Board Host will be able to sift through questions that are similar as they come in. I think it's a good idea.
stamperdog

Post by stamperdog »

I missed the show but have already set my DVR up for the next showing later in February. I have a Jack Russell Terrier named Stamper. He's a real pistol. A sweetie most of the time, but not always! And it's normally directed at ME when he doesn't get his way.

I applaud you for accepting to face the challenge of a JRT. They're too smart for their own good sometimes! I always knew you knew what you were doing. Now I'm convinced!

Can't wait to see the show.

Ann
http://www.stamperdog.com
doggiepsychology

Post by doggiepsychology »

WOW I was so surprised and not for the first time..omg how Victoria is handling those doggies! I can see that she's trying and wants to really help the owners but I can also see the basic errors she does and why those owners frequently want to give it up. I am just watching "Killer Instincts" episode. Buddy, JRT, is very cute and obviously everything would just work out fine if another method was used!! Look, the situation at the door: if the owner will say "wait wait wait wait wait waaaaait" again and again, eventually her patience (as anybody's) would not last forever! the approach she should have used is to have him on a leash, be calm and not be focused on him and repeatedly saying wait command but correct him once or twice and calmly ignore him. Second thing, television anxiety situation.. she's using "Time out". This was really funny. DOGS DONT KNOW WHAT TIMEOUT IS. He was only reacting on their energy, not on time outs. If you remove the dog from the situation where he's anxious, he'll never learn it, it'll always be only after a hard and long work with him until he calms down. They should work next to the thing which is making him anxious and not remove him but be working with him IN the room where the TV was, make sure to stop him in time before barking and jumping and not wait until he starts barking at the TV. I could easily see when he changed his focus to the tv and that shouldn't have happened. What was after that was: they gave him a time out. LOL! and Obviously when you bring the dog back he does the same. Why he stops after half and hour of doing this removal and time out process? well, because he gets tired, not because he understood that he shoudlnt bark and jump while tv is on.
The third thing is walking and introducing other doggies on a walk to this JRT. I thought that was a parody. I believe Victoria trusts her own skills and she's a good girl but she needs to practice more of dog psychology because what she's doing now is applying the human psychology to the dogs.