Episode 204 - Tiny Tyrant - Jan 23

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 204 - Tiny Tyrant - Jan 23

Post by Victoria »

butterflyqueen1234 wrote:Hello Victoria!

I'm so excited about getting to talk with you, and I'm also very glad that it is about the particular episode that was on last night. I am a newer fan, but I am hooked. I am very anxious to learn training skills that will help my own dogs. I am curious as to the answer another poster asked, about how you decide if a dog showing various forms of aggression can be "saved." One of my dogs has a similar situation, as a matter of fact, I have posted a brief description of his problems in the dog training area. I like the things you tried with Princess to work on some of the problems she was having, and I am going to try to do some of those things as well.
Welcome! Glad to have you! See my last response for the answer to this question.
How long do you work with the families and the dogs who have issues? Thanks!!
I work with each family for 5 days per episode. One observation day, 3 training days, and one return visit after some time away to let the family work with the dog.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

thevelvetvampire wrote:I know it can be touch to deal with an aggressive dogs. Is it possible for a puppy to have aggressive behavior? my 4 mnth old doxie snaps alot.
Yes, it certainly is. But it's important not to confuse puppy mouthing with true aggression.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:I have a similar question like maximoo.When your wacthing tv on the familys progress after you leave is that a set up or someones actuall house?
Depends on the episode. When I'm filming in LA, it's usually a company apartment. For some of the Atlanta episodes, we actually shot in my house. Usually now, though, we use company apartments. It's never a set, though.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

PrincessBRose wrote:Princess mostly stays in her safe zone. We do train and walk Princess and Pacino together. I was hesitant to bring another dog in the home, but I have a soft spot for animals and could not resist. With Victoria's techniques, I felt confident we could handle it. So far so good :D
Glad to hear it, Melissa!

You're a really dedicated dog owner, and while I may have given you the tools, it was through your hard work and devotion that Princess was able to be turned around. I'm sure you'll do great with Pacino. Lucky dog!
thevelvetvampire

Post by thevelvetvampire »

Is there a certain age and which does can start to be aggressive or can this take place at any age?
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:I'm curious like maximoo and doggy style. On the 10 most difficult and 15 strangest episodes, where were you?
We filmed those specials on location in LA. It was in a private house.
thevelvetvampire

Post by thevelvetvampire »

PrincessBRose wrote:
Princess mostly stays in her safe zone. We do train and walk Princess and Pacino together. I was hesitant to bring another dog in the home, but I have a soft spot for animals and could not resist. With Victoria's techniques, I felt confident we could handle it. So far so good

Its great to hear this im happy for you and your dogs
Thepupstopshere

Post by Thepupstopshere »

Hello Victoria~ Thanks to you, I just registered with the Animal Behavior College and will begin my program in a few weeks. Ultimately, I want to be a VSP trainer with a keen interest in training service/companion dogs for people with disabilities. Presently, I teach young children with special needs. Many of them are non-verbal. I would love to work as a member or your Foundation. I think it may be possible to teach dogs how to read picture symbols so that non-verbal children and children on the autism spectrum can communicate with their dogs...thereby giving them a sense of greater independence and confidence. What do you think? Wouldn't it be great?!

I am creating a whole new future for myself (I've been in special ed. for 30 years...so I'm not a kid) and it's thanks to you!!

So, Tonia...Register with ABC....They're really nice people!
EADGBE

Post by EADGBE »

Hi Victoria.

Another great show.
How long has positive reinforcement training been around? I think it's a wonderful idea.
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

you say that the dogs have to be medically cleared to be on the show.If im correct you didnt do that in the british episodes. Did you learn a valuable lesson by not doing that before?
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:Do you come up with the clever episode titles?
Sometimes.

Interesting story about how the show got it's title:

We were filming the pilot episode in the UK five years ago with a beautiful Old English Sheepdog named Blue. We were figuring out the format of the show on the fly, seeing what worked and what didn't. At the time, my husband was calling the show 'Supertrainer' for lack of anything better, since my inspiration for the show came from watching the US premiere of Supernanny with Jo Frost.

During the shoot for the pilot, the mother of the family actually said to the husband, "One of us has got to go - it's either me or the dog," and it just clicked for everyone. So sometimes the show titles are pretty easy to come by, other times it involves some pretty creative people!
ToniaCallahan

Post by ToniaCallahan »

I've been looking at ABC!Found their website right before christmas. Wow! I'm going to call them tomorrow. THANK YOU!!
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Do you work with any rescues that would have taken Princess if they had not worked with her.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

while on the british subject,why arent those dvds avaliable.i know i havent seen them all on american tv.and just a suggestion since the show comes out on hd they should also moke blu ray dvds as well. and maybe more bloopers and scenes that were too hot for tv! just a suggestion!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thepupstopshere wrote:Hello Victoria~ Thanks to you, I just registered with the Animal Behavior College and will begin my program in a few weeks. Ultimately, I want to be a VSP trainer with a keen interest in training service/companion dogs for people with disabilities. Presently, I teach young children with special needs. Many of them are non-verbal. I would love to work as a member or your Foundation. I think it may be possible to teach dogs how to read picture symbols so that non-verbal children and children on the autism spectrum can communicate with their dogs...thereby giving them a sense of greater independence and confidence. What do you think? Wouldn't it be great?!

I am creating a whole new future for myself (I've been in special ed. for 30 years...so I'm not a kid) and it's thanks to you!!

So, Tonia...Register with ABC....They're really nice people!
pupstopshere,
Fascinating ideas! Yes, the work dogs can do to make people with special needs' lives better is inspirational. I saw it firsthand when I was volunteering for the ASPCA after 9/11 in Manhattan and saw the amazing good therapy dogs were having on the grieving families at Pier 94. Sounds like you have some pretty special ideas, and I'd love to hear more about them as you begin your work with dogs - please keep in touch and let me know how it goes!

Good luck, and thanks for the kind words and support!