Episode 204 - Tiny Tyrant - Jan 23

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 204 - Tiny Tyrant - Jan 23

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria will discuss tonight's episode ("Tiny Tyrants") live in this thread on Sunday, January 24th at 9pm EST.
BoardHost
maximoo

Re: Episode 204 - Tiny Tyrant - Jan 23

Post by maximoo »

Hi Victoria : Great show as usual. How is Princess doing since her you showed owners how to handle her?
What I'd like to know is why you chose to bring her back into a room instead of teaching her place training? Would that have been too stressful for her? The calming CD you used for the great danes I think would've helped in this case as well. I've also heard that Rescue Remedy and the scent of lavender can help take the edge off a dog like Princess yet I've never seen you suggest/use these in any episodes. I'm real curious about who pays for the equipment or things you use such as baby gates, new collars, samples & lab results, and in one episode you had a carpet steam cleaned & had new bedding for a girl. Do the owners pay or is it provided by the show? Also, where's the basket of toys you used to give at the end of each ep?
I think socialization (with rules of course) is mandatory for owning a dog. Yet so many people don't socialize their pups & end up with a dog like Princess. Don't people realize how important it is? My boy Max ( 1 yo GS/Chow mix) has been very well socialized yet there's one quirky thing he does: After getting petted/loved from a stranger (off lead at the dog park) he'll leap up to bump their nose then take off running. It is funny but usually the stranger is startled at first then they laugh. However I can see the possibility that it only takes one cranky(sue happy) person to claim that Max tried to bite them, or he could accidently bump with his teeth. What is the best way to keep Max from being a nose bumper?
I never miss an episode. Keep up the great work! Max & I hope to meet you someday! 8) :D
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Poor misunderstood dog. The saddest one of your shows I have seen.(I've seen almost everyone). I hope they kept up with the training. You are great, I wish that there was more people who care, like you. Is there a way to find that dog a home,If they did not keep up the training,and not put the dog down? Thanks
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

Victoria, Ive noticed you say and especially in this episode is when your working with an aggressive or reactive dog you want to stay calm otherwise that dog picks up on your nervousness or you being tense.But if you are being calm and show no signs of tension yet your dog still reacts in a negative way then what?

In this case when this dog has already been deemed as being vicious,biting several of people,even attacking its owners and latching on to a girls face,knowing this were you confident you can try and turn this situation around or were you leaning more towards the this dog needs to be put down side?
PrincessBRose

Post by PrincessBRose »

Hello Victoria,
It is Melissa, Tony, and Princess. We wanted to once again thank you for all your help. Princess is doing so much better and we have been keeping up with the training.Unfortunately, Tony didn't keep to the feeding schedule, but he has put more of an effort.Tony did teach Princess to give her paw and he loves to make her do "Hands Up". Our walks have been so pleasant. She no longer goes after people or other dogs. Even when the other dogs are barking, she just trots along. It's great.As for the bath,she has improved a bit but without Tony pitching in it can be challenge. Rocky had to be put down the day before my birthday on Sept. 2. He was unable to walk and his balance was not so good. I am looking forward to your chat this evening.
Thank you again,
Melissa,Tony, and Princess
P.S. I did rescue a dog from the pound named Pacino.He is a 3 year old pekingese. I could not resist.
Attachments
Princess
Princess
Photo_110307_004.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 21289 times
Melissa Rosenson
Yvonne

Post by Yvonne »

Hi Melissa,

I watched the show with princess and you did have your hands full. I am glad Tony is helping you more and showing interest. It is hard enough to train a dog, but if you do not have support and total help with family and friends all your training can go out the window! Keep up the good work and good luck with your new dog.

Yvonne
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Hello Victoria,I read above where Melissa got another dog. Do you think that Princess will do ok with that? Do you think that it will help or hurt her. Melissa I am sorry to hear about Rocky he looked like a sweet dog.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
BCMom

Post by BCMom »

Melissa,

It is so great to hear that things are going well with Princess. I have 3 dogs and each have their own set of "issues" to deal with. Because of this, my husband has stepped up to the plate and helped me with the extra training each of them need. He gets excited everytime one of them makes progress, as I am sure Tony does when Princess learns something new.

Good luck to all of you and congrats on your new arrival!

Louise
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I'm glad tony's making an effort, but it's a shame he didn't keep up with the feeding. It's a good thing that their relationship is better. What kind of chews were used with the guest and the magic blue bag?
PrincessBRose

Post by PrincessBRose »

The magic bag has chicken breast tender chews. Princess loves them (;
Melissa Rosenson
ToniaCallahan

Post by ToniaCallahan »

Hi Victoria. I've been watching and learning from you since your show started. I LOVE the way you train,and have trained my own dogs,as well as rescues and fosters according to the postivie reward method I've learned from your show. I have seen the wonderful results and have decided I want to be a certified trainer,but only in a positive way. My main goal is to work with rescues,and to keep dogs in their loving homes by providing necessary help. I was wondering if you could give some names of schools where I can learn this,or is it better to educate myself? I welcome any help you can give me. I think t's wonderful what you do to help dogs and their owners, I can only HOPE I'll be as knowledgable as you someday.

Thank you,Tonia
debitot

Post by debitot »

Hi Victoria,
Loved the tiny tyrant show. My husband is like Tony.although Tony does more.I have three cats and 1 puppy. no help feeding or anything else.I wrote last week about my puppy not being able to put a collar or harness on him. Well I got a collar on him ,ten minutes later he got it caught in his mouth. Talk about scared! I don't know who was more scared. him or me! He bit me so hard. but I know it was because he was so stressed. I calmed him down got the clasp out of his mouth and then took it off. I just don't know now what to do. I am so protective over him , My other yorkie died of heart problems in june of last year. just about killed me. I would truly and deeply appriciate your help. I am so desparate.Thank you,
Debbie
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Hello everyone! Thanks for joining us this evening. I'll be here for the next hour to answer questions about last night's episode, 'Tiny Tyrant'.
Victoria
braeraphael

Post by braeraphael »

Hi Victoria!

With last night's episode, Princess was aggressive with new people walking into the house, including you. If Princess was not be held back, and came towards you biting, how would you have handled the situation? How do you avoid confrontation with a very upset dog? Do you jump up on the couch? Do you stand your ground and avoid eye contact?
BCMom

Post by BCMom »

Hi Victoria -
I was just wondering how you decide, when you are assessing a case, whether or not a dog can be "saved" or not. In Princess' case, even though she had a bite history, I could see that with positive training she would thrive. I tend to believe that most dogs deserve a chance to learn and change, I was just curious as to your criteria for whether the dog needs a new home, new training program or...*gulp* to be put down. Thanks!

Louise