Episode 203 - Great Dane Devotion - Jan 16

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 203 - Great Dane Devotion - Jan 16

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria will reply live in this thread to questions about Saturday night's episode, Great Dane Devotion at 9pm EST Sunday, January 17th.

Ashley and Josh Fort are newlyweds and the proud owners of three out-of-control Great Danes - Henry, Jackson and new puppy Charlotte. The dogs' boisterous and aggressive behavior is causing real strain on the new marriage, as Josh feels that Ashley's insistence on taking the dogs with her everywhere and the resulting behavior problems are driving a wedge between them. On top of that, Ashley's boss (and father) has threatened to fire her if she cannot get the dogs under control when she brings them to work with her everyday. They are unmanageable on walks, don't get enough exercise, and are a hazard to everyone Ashley passes when they accompany her in the car.

Victoria has her hands full convincing Ashley that she's more dependent on the dogs than they are on her, and that both Ashley and Josh need to take the training seriously before someone really gets hurt by the dogs.
BoardHost
doggy style

Re: Episode 203 - Great Dane Devotion - Jan 16

Post by doggy style »

Victoria,the episodes keep getting better and better! What was the guest using the magazine about? Was it an aversion to calm or take pressure or focus off of the dogs? And if the dogs get too crazy,would the best way to calm them down would be to isolate them in a room and introduce them one by one? And I also know you have your own sound sensitization cd.Would that be used in the same matter as you used one for the workplace?
thanks! its great to see such positive turnarounds from such bad behavior
debitot

Post by debitot »

Thank you Victoria for answering my question last week, my question tonight is how to get him puppy pad trained. I have tried.He is only 6 months old. Thank you, Debbie
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Victoria, I have a cocker that needs that cd you had on the show. Where can we get it. Thanks Jan and her two Cocker(Spencer&Tristan)
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Hello everyone! I'm here to discuss last night's episode, Great Dane Devotion.
Thanks!
Victoria
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello Victoria!

I'm wondering, when you were teaching Charlotte the "leave it" command because it was revealed that Charlotte wanted to chase cars, what would you do if you couldn't get the dog's attention?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Thepupstopshere

Post by Thepupstopshere »

Hello Victoria~ I have three questions...

1. In your opinion, when already overwhelmed with two great danes, why would Ashley and Josh take in Charlotte?

2. Is the music you played on the CD one that you created for your own use or can it be bought somewhere?

3. Do you have nerves of steel? How are you able stay composed when a great dane is barking, literally, in your face?

Thank you. ~Nina
lostsuper_

Post by lostsuper_ »

What made those dogs so aggressive?Why would Ashley bring the dogs to work when she knows that they cause to much trouble?
debitot

Post by debitot »

Hello! Victoria,
I need help potty training a puppy with puppy pads. He wants to chew them up, after he wee wees on it. What shall I do?
Debbie
kimb123

Post by kimb123 »

Hi, Victoria! I loved this episode!

What kind of treats do you use for the Great Danes? Our Great Dane pulls and lunges on the leash also. (We tried the gentle leader, but it didn't help at all). The trainer we hired said we had to use a prong collar.
My parents are against that so Oliver never gets walked anymore because they say it's too dangerous. I feel badly for him.
Anyway, thank you for your show. I really learn a lot from it.
Thank you so much! Kimmy
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

doggy style wrote:Victoria,the episodes keep getting better and better!
Thank you, doggy! This has been a really fun season to shoot. Lots of great dogs and owners, interesting problems, fun solutions. We're still shooting in Atlanta, and there are some really great episodes coming up as well.
What was the guest using the magazine about? Was it an aversion to calm or take pressure or focus off of the dogs?
The magazine was used to take pressure off the dogs. If Henry made eye contact with the guest, he could get nippy, and not in a nice way. So instead of the guest looking at him and eliciting a response from him, it gave the guest something else to look at and showed Henry that their arrival was no big deal.
And if the dogs get too crazy,would the best way to calm them down would be to isolate them in a room and introduce them one by one?
Yes. And that's more or less what I did.
And I also know you have your own sound sensitization cd.Would that be used in the same matter as you used one for the workplace?
What I used wasn't a noise de-sensitization CD, but rather a calming CD.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

mustlovdoggs wrote:Victoria, I have a cocker that needs that cd you had on the show. Where can we get it. Thanks Jan and her two Cocker(Spencer&Tristan)
The CD I used was from www.ThroughADogsEar.com
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

wvvdiup1 wrote:Hello Victoria!

I'm wondering, when you were teaching Charlotte the "leave it" command because it was revealed that Charlotte wanted to chase cars, what would you do if you couldn't get the dog's attention?
Walk off in the other direction. This will help refocus your dog.
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Victoria,Are Great Danes normally so out of control? My other Cocker that died in 2002, went every where with me, even to work and never acted like that.I think it made him a smarter dog. Thank Jan and The cockers
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Thepupstopshere wrote:Hello Victoria~ I have three questions...

1. In your opinion, when already overwhelmed with two great danes, why would Ashley and Josh take in Charlotte?
Ashley was very involved in Great Dane rescue, and that's how they found Charlotte. My job is to tackle the problem at hand, so after I've figured out the relevant history of a case, I don't bother too much with the 'why did someone do something' unless it directly affects the training and dogs' lives going forward.