Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Re: Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Post by Victoria »

EADGBE wrote:Hi Victoria.
Love the show.
What do you think is the biggest mistake dog owners make?
Not being consistent. It's so important to communicate in a way that a dog understands and if everyone does something different the dog gets very confused.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

AdoptDontShop wrote:Hi Victoria,
I missed the episode last night, but I have question that is related to it.
How do you know if a dog is expressing jealousy towards another dog when they are "playing"? Would it look like rough housing or would it be like a fight? Or would it look like they weren't getting along, or something else?

Thanks in advance!!
I would look for excessive attempts at getting attention, for example if a dog was being petted by the owner and the other dog would put its body between the first dog and the owner. I look for body blocking, where a dog uses its body to block another dog's access to a resource, such as a toy or a person. Jealousy defnitely can lead to fighting especially in multi-dog households.
Jenna33

Post by Jenna33 »

Hi Victoria,
Great season opener!! It was great to see you get tough with Mr. Berry and let him know that it is his responsibility!
I recently adopted a 3 year old Boxer who is very timid. He is afraid of everything although he is very sweet and does not growl or bark, he just runs away and will not go near anyone. Even after he has met people several times he shies away. How can I make him feel more confident and secure?

Thank you,
Jenna
doggy style

Re: Victoria to host weekly live chats here

Post by doggy style »

victoria what would you suggest if i cant find anyone for rehoming my dog. i cant keep her anymore and dont know what to do.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

lalalen03 wrote:Victoria!

I love your show and watch it faithfully. I've learned so much from you.

My question is from my mom, who recently adopted a lab mix from the Humane Society. Her name is Chloe and she is a/b 8 months old. We've been to basic training class and she has picked up on everything SO well. She is very focused. She has mastered the 'leave it' command very well, but the only place we still have a problem is in the kitchen when cooking. For some reason she understands not to go after food when we are eating, but when we are cooking she seems to think its fair game... and doesn't really respond to 'leave it.' What are you suggestions?

Thanks so much- good luck with everything.
Lauren
The cooking smells are obviously too tempting. I would keep her out of the kitchen while you are cooking or teach her to go to her bed and stay there until you tell her it's ok.
bellepearle

Post by bellepearle »

Hi Victoria,
My 2 year old female toy poodle has severe separation anxiety. It's so bad that when we are in the car with her and someone gets out to do an errand and she's NOT by herself, she still cries and carries on. How can we help her with this? Also, she has a fear of anyone approaching the cars. When we are at the gas station or in a drive-thru, she will bark and growl at anyone outside/around the car. It's stressful and embarrassing. Please help!

Lindsay
marhcarter

Post by marhcarter »

Victoria, I love your show & try to use your ideas at home. I have a yorkie/silky mix who is a potty training nightmare. Our previous dog was a lab/humane society mutt who was born potty trained, so Huey is testing us. He is 10 months old & loves to potty on the hardwood. No matter how often we take him out or how long we leave him out (which is hard in 20-30 degrees, despite the sweater), he will come back inside & potty on the hardwood. We got him fixed at 6 months & that helped on neighborhood walks (now it is every other mailbox, not every) but inside it is still horrible. Sometimes he goes outside & then looks at us like "crap, they saw me" so I think it is as much a stubborness issue as anything. We use the "trade" command to get the panties and other inedible items back, but we need help with potty issues.
mlovan

Post by mlovan »

Hi Victoria,

I hope you are still on tonight. I have a min pin that keeps getting into the cats litter box. The box is in the basement and we do what we can to keep her upstairs away from it. When we are not looking she will sneak downstairs and grab kitty crunchys. Do you have any ideas how we can stop this.

Thanks
Marie
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

blukey1927 wrote:Hi Victoria,
I am sorry if this posted more than once. My husband and I have a 3 year old St. Bernard/ Bull Mastiff mix named Danica. We had her spayed 4 months ago. She has a very similar problem to Oscar. She is very dominant/aggressive with other dogs. We can't have her out at the same time as other dogs, we can't try to take her to a dog park, and she even barks/growls at dogs walking down the street in front of our house. Is there hope for her? What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Becky
Please see my answers to others that have a similar problem to you. I would advise you to get a trainer into help you as it is not an easy behavior to deal with.
pookieleigh06

Post by pookieleigh06 »

Hi Victoria,
I need some good advice regarding one of my dogs. He is starting to show very bad biting aggression towards my 10 yr old son, myself and our other dog. I am a vet tech but cannot seem to figure out how to stop this without using medication. Tried ACE and it made him more aggressive. His background is as follows. Found in the mouth of another dog at about a week and a half old. He is the only survivor from that day (mom and siblings gone). Mom was a short shepherd/chow, and dad was a full blood beagle. During his first few months we fought both types of mange. He will be two in april. Last Feb he apparently ate something outside and had a bad reaction. Full body edema, eyes swollen shut basically a huge mess. Found nothing to help us figure out what was wrong in this blood work results. To this day we still have no idea. Past few months he has become really aggressive mainly towards my son, myself and my airedale. It is scary since he has bitten us fairly bad (yes er trips). A couple triggers I have been able to pinpoint are brushing and trimming nails. He goes crazy even with proper restraint and a good muzzle. I also follow the 20 second rule in regards to punishing him with a time out in his crate away from everyone. Any advice????????????? Thank you so much I adore watching your methods.
Michelle
Pamela

Our English Mastiff Puppy

Post by Pamela »

Good Evening Victoria,

We have just recently acquired an English Mastiff puppy that is approximately 18 weeks old and about 55lbs. This puppy is extremely energetic and irritates our 10 year old English Mastiff. He has eaten thru the baby gates which we had to reinforce with steel wire, eaten our sheetrock wall, and tears up everything in the house. He is very loveable, but also very stubborn. When we try to reprimand ( telling him NO and try to take what he has away ) him when he takes off with something he is not supposed to have, such as a piece of wood and brings it in the house, he takes off like a bandit. He is very stubborn.

We watch your show virtually every week, is there anything that you can suggest we do? Thank you in advance for any help that you can bring us.

Sincerely, Murray and Pamela Boikoff :)

Last edited by Pamela on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total. Pamela

Private message :D
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

deiganp wrote:Hi Victoria, my 12 year old female lab barks and whines incessantly. She just looks at us and whines and barks. We know she is going deaf, and she has cancer (that has been treated but at this point there is no more we can do). She still eats well, is playful sometimes, and seems otherwise fine. I feel like it is a behavior thing, not a health thing. Before I knew she was sick, I brought in a new puppy--a female Westie, who is now a year old. Is she jealous?

I love your show. My westie pup watches too!
It sounds like she is suffereng from anxiety which is very common in older dogs, especially ones that are sick. Geriatric anxiety can affect dogs in different ways but the whining sounds like it could be that. As for jealousy, make sure that you are giving her plenty of attention and that the Westie isn't annoying her too much. Space is important especially for older dogs.
Divilla

Post by Divilla »

skymoon wrote:Hi Victoria, and other users!

I have a Pin Tzu (Min Pin/Shih Tzu) mix, he will be 6 months old on the 9th of this month. I live in Boston and the winter is pretty bitter, my question is, can I take my puppy out for walks still? is it safe for him? (he wears sweater, coat and boots) he shivers and wants to go inside the house, he is house trained (he does not want to go potty outside when it's this cold).....Please help!

you can see his pictures here: http://www.the-puppy-diaries.onsugar.com

thanks in advanced!!
Skymoon:

Cold weather notwithstanding, it is still essential for your dog to have regular exercise and the stimulation that walks provide. As long as you have a proper coat (there are several on the market that cover all four legs and keep even Italian Greyhound warm) and you protect your dog's paws properly, there is no reason to limit him to an strictly indoor life in winter. The walks will be shorter than in summer, but they're still important.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

skymoon wrote:I missed last night's episode :(

Hi Victoria, and other users!

I have a Pin Tzu (Min Pin/Shih Tzu) mix, he will be 6 months old on the 9th of this month. I live in Boston and the winter is pretty bitter, my question is, can I take my puppy out for walks still? is it safe for him? (he wears sweater, coat and boots) he shivers and wants to go inside the house, he is house trained (he does not want to go potty outside when it's this cold).....Please help!

you can see his pictures here: http://www.the-puppy-diaries.onsugar.com

thanks in advanced!!
I think he's trying to tell you something. It is just too cold and even with all the clothing, the cold weather is too much for him. I would do very short walks for potty only and play with him inside the house so that he can get exercised in the warmth and stay safe until the weather gets a little warmer again.
pookieleigh06

Post by pookieleigh06 »

Hi Victoria,
I accidently posted this in the wrong place once but I need some good advice regarding one of my dogs. He is starting to show very bad biting aggression towards my 10 yr old son, myself and our other dog. I am a vet tech but cannot seem to figure out how to stop this without using medication. Tried ACE and it made him more aggressive. His background is as follows. Found in the mouth of another dog at about a week and a half old. He is the only survivor from that day (mom and siblings gone). Mom was a short shepherd/chow, and dad was a full blood beagle. During his first few months we fought both types of mange. He will be two in april. Last Feb he apparently ate something outside and had a bad reaction. Full body edema, eyes swollen shut basically a huge mess. Found nothing to help us figure out what was wrong in this blood work results. To this day we still have no idea. Past few months he has become really aggressive mainly towards my son, myself and my airedale. It is scary since he has bitten us fairly bad (yes er trips). A couple triggers I have been able to pinpoint are brushing and trimming nails. He goes crazy even with proper restraint and a good muzzle. I also follow the 20 second rule in regards to punishing him with a time out in his crate away from everyone. Any advice????????????? Thank you so much I adore watching your methods.
Michelle