Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Victoria
Site Admin

Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Post by Victoria »

Last night's episode of It's Me or the Dog ('The Berry Bunch') featured a family of 6 people and 9 dogs. There was a great deal of disharmony amongst the humans which in turn was causing chaos in the house. The poor dogs had very little consistency and as a result were constantly toileting in the house, were very difficult to walk, and several of them had some pretty significant behavioral issues.

My primary task in this episode was to try and get all of the family to work together for the benefit of their dogs, if not themselves. This proved to be quite a tall order, but we did eventually make some progress. While they were very caring owners, they had very different ideas on how to treat, feed and care for the dogs, and this caused a lot of arguments. I presented them with a feeding and walking schedule to suit their individual schedules and tried to restore some balance to the overall caregiving by shifting more responsibility to Erik, the father, and away from Kim, the daughter. Both had some trouble with this, but by the end, they both saw that they needed to put whatever issues they may have had with each other aside in order to give their dogs the best chance to succeed.

Oscar the Dachsund had a bite history and some pretty significant aggression issues towards both people and other dogs. I gave the family some tools to address this behavior, and they made a lot of progress.

I'll be here at 9pm EST Sunday (January 3rd) to answer any questions you may have about this episode. See you then!

Victoria
marhcarter

Re: Episode 201 - The Berry Bunch - Jan 2

Post by marhcarter »

I missed this episode. I now have TiVo set to record new, so I should keep up. I do watch the reruns & am trying to utilize the ideas you present, but I & my husband are inconsistant (I know, the worst thing) and so we still have issues. I am looking forward to the live chat (my 1st).
handie

Post by handie »

if only the people in my life were trainable :shock:
MuttFan

Post by MuttFan »

Victoria,

How important is it to keep your dog on a schedule? I've noticed that, since the schedule got a bit wacky over the holidays, my normally perfect pooch has started acting up a bit (even chewed up my husband's computer mouse).

Thanks,

MuttFan
kidrn

Post by kidrn »

i thought you were absolutely right to get tough with the dad..i had a feeling that a great deal of the problem was that he talked a good line, but didn't follow through....we have one old rescue poodle that is 13 yo, and blind, (we rescued her blind at age 10) and she is ok if the schedule gets a little "off" , but we added another toy poodle, probably a former puppy mill breeder, and she is definitely NOT ok with any change in schedule. i have mobility probs, so it's up to my husband to walk her, and it took awhile to train HIM especially since the other dog is so mellow..both get walked separately 3X daily, and when he's at work, i play in the living room with the younger dog (she's around 5 yo) with tug ropes, chew toys, amd just calling her and encouraging her to jump and play. the only thing she WON'T play with..is a ball..if you throw it TO her, she seems to think you are throwing it AT her..any ideas on how to fix this?
shepherdgal

Post by shepherdgal »

Hi Victoria- wondering how long you work with these families, and if there is a follow-up? Say, 6 months to 1 year later... That would be great to know!
Thank you!
MuttFan

Re: Victoria to host weekly live chats here

Post by MuttFan »

Victoria,

How important is it to keep your dog on a schedule?

Thanks,

MuttFan
skymoon

Post by skymoon »

Hi Victoria, and other users!

I have a Pin Tzu (Min Pin/Shih Tzu) mix, he will be 6 months old on the 9th of this month. I live in Boston and the winter is pretty bitter, my question is, can I take my puppy out for walks still? is it safe for him? (he wears sweater, coat and boots) he shivers and wants to go inside the house, he is house trained (he does not want to go potty outside when it's this cold).....Please help!

you can see his pictures here: www.the-puppy-diaries.onsugar.com

thanks in advanced!!
Aready

Post by Aready »

Great first episode! I am really looking forward to the rest of the season...especially the mastiffs you Twittered about :)
deiganp

Post by deiganp »

Hi Victoria, my 12 year old female lab barks and whines incessantly. She just looks at us and whines and barks. We know she is going deaf, and she has cancer (that has been treated but at this point there is no more we can do). She still eats well, is playful sometimes, and seems otherwise fine. I feel like it is a behavior thing, not a health thing. Before I knew she was sick, I brought in a new puppy--a female Westie, who is now a year old. Is she jealous?
doggy style

Post by doggy style »

you looked pretty upset when the man wasnt paying attention to you at the park. it must of took a lot of willpower to not walk away from the situation wich you almost did.great show! your beatiful!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

MuttFan wrote:Victoria,

How important is it to keep your dog on a schedule? I've noticed that, since the schedule got a bit wacky over the holidays, my normally perfect pooch has started acting up a bit (even chewed up my husband's computer mouse).

Thanks,

MuttFan
It's important but it's also important to vary it a little now and again so that the dog doesn't feel anxious if something it expects to happen at a particular time doesn't.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello Victoria!

I saw the new episode with the "Berry Family" last night, and all I can say is "WOW!" The reason I say this is that I'm still having some problems with my Akita. When I first got her, she got along with my other dog and my brother's cat, but when I took her out for walks, she would get along with most of my neighbors' dogs. Here is the clincher: When we're walking and see other dogs, she goes into "attack mode" and I don't mean a fight either, I mean she goes in for the kill! I will tell her to "leave it" and go to another direction away from the other dog, and believe me, this is no easy task with a 85-pound, muscular dog! My questions are 1) What is causing my dog to do this? and 2) What other ways can I do to get her to stop lunging at other dogs?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

kidrn wrote:i thought you were absolutely right to get tough with the dad..i had a feeling that a great deal of the problem was that he talked a good line, but didn't follow through....we have one old rescue poodle that is 13 yo, and blind, (we rescued her blind at age 10) and she is ok if the schedule gets a little "off" , but we added another toy poodle, probably a former puppy mill breeder, and she is definitely NOT ok with any change in schedule. i have mobility probs, so it's up to my husband to walk her, and it took awhile to train HIM especially since the other dog is so mellow..both get walked separately 3X daily, and when he's at work, i play in the living room with the younger dog (she's around 5 yo) with tug ropes, chew toys, amd just calling her and encouraging her to jump and play. the only thing she WON'T play with..is a ball..if you throw it TO her, she seems to think you are throwing it AT her..any ideas on how to fix this?
I think she is telling you she doesn't really like playing with balls. Dogs like different toys and she's saying that she loves her tug ropes and chew toys but balls don't do it for her! I wouldn't force her.
Aready

Post by Aready »

Hi Victoria! Our dog has severe allergies. She is currently on medication for it. Do you think it is possible to teach your dog not to scratch or lick herself? Like a "no lick" command? Or is that just a losing battle?