Series 5 episode 4 Bad to the Bone. Query harness

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

blossom6969

Series 5 episode 4 Bad to the Bone. Query harness

Post by blossom6969 »

Hi,

Having watched your episode entitled "Bad to the Bone" we noticed the collar you used. We have a border collie who pulls terribly.

Having tried several different types of harness supposedly no pull none have worked.

We are based in the UK and are wondering if you could tell us what harness it was you used and any advice on not pulling would be brilliant.

We had a dog whisperer in but she says that dogs do not need walking, but we feel she needs the exercise.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Wendy and Fred
ClareMarsh

Re: Series 5 episode 4 Bad to the Bone. Query harness

Post by ClareMarsh »

Oh my good lord, a cannot believe someone would suggest not walking a dog, let alone a border collie :shock:

People who have worked with pulling dogs will be along to advise on the harness but I think you're looking for one that the leash clips to the front.

While you wait take a look at this thread on loose leash walking viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858 because a harness alone will not train your dog to walk nicely.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Yes, sadly you were given some seriously poor advice by that "dog whisperer" who said dogs don't need to be walked. Fortunately for your dog, you are much more aware of what dog's need because you ignored that advice and came here looking for more informed answers. :D

Clare has already posted the link I was going to direct you to regarding loose leash walking. A good no pull harness will be a good investment while you are learning this technique so if your dog does pull you will have more control, but in the end, its the training that teaches our dogs not to pull, not the harnesses we put them in.

I use a Walkeez harness and while I don't believe it's marketed as a no pull harness, it does disperse the dogs weight when they do tug on the leash which gives you a bit more control. But the harnesses that clip in the front have gotten some good feedback here from those with bigger dogs who are pullers. Since my dog is only 18 pounds and doesn't pull, my knowledge about these harnesses is limited, but rest assured others will be along who have gone through this with their dogs and they'll offer up their thoughts and help you out. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

what's a "dog whispherer" ??
Erica

Post by Erica »

Ari, I'm thinking it's just someone who didn't want to call themselves a dog trainer or behaviorist - "whispering" to animals often involves lots of superstitious explanations - like "strong, assertive energy" and such nonsense. ;) Some "whisperers" are well versed in body language, learning theory, etc - but some are NOT.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I thought CM called himself a dog whisperer. I assumed it was a trainer who is trained in his methods.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Erica

Post by Erica »

It could be...honestly, the term is not really defined. Take this book for example - complete opposite of CM, but called "The Dog Whisperer." The thing I've seen in common between people who call themselves animal whisperers is lots of New Age stuff - like projecting energy and other things you can't quantify with science. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
blossom6969

Post by blossom6969 »

May I say many many thanks to all of you that responded to my concerns. I am a dog walker for a living and all of them are fantastic, but my Border is a right ratbag!lol

Been trying to train her since a pup but she is very independent shall we say? However, having read all your answers, we have taken a look at that particular harness and feel this could be a huge help. We fully understand that we still have to get her trained to walk properly.

So pleased I came on here as I finally feel that just maybe we can move forwards. I feel awful not being able to give her what she needs as taking her out at the minute is like a walk through hell.
We go out but there is no fun in it.

With many thanks once again, will let you know how we get on.

Wendy and Fred :D
blossom6969

Post by blossom6969 »

Well, Harness arrived today, needed a little bit of adjustment, BUT once out, heavens, it was like walking a different dog! She is not impressed but we are! lol

Really cannot say thankyou enough. Joining this site was the best thing ever.

We now look forward to many happy and relaxed walks together.

With thanks to you all

Fred and Wendy :D
blossom6969

Post by blossom6969 »

Well, new harness is working a treat. Upon our first "proper" walk, a woman commented on how beautiful Beauty was, and asked about her harness.
She then told us of an almost local dog obedience class she felt might work for Beauty.

So,checked them out on net, looked good, called them and asked if I may go along just to see how they work and would it be the right class for Beauty.

Had a great time and we start sunday the 27th. After 6 weeks, we get a certificate of achievement and the she automatically gets free entry into the agility class, whereby I only have to pay a weekly fee.

This would never had happened without your ideas and advice.

Thankyou so much once again!

Fred and Wendy :D