"All Dogs Come" Episode?

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kathleen

"All Dogs Come" Episode?

Post by Kathleen »

It's been awhile since I saw the episode I'm asking about, so I don't remember the specific breeds or some other details, but there was an episode where one issue was that the middle-aged couple's 3 small dogs, I think of different breeds, would bark excitedly - and loudly - in the window, at dogs or people outside, while the husband, who worked from home, was trying to talk on the phone or otherwise just work. Victoria had him call "All Dogs Come" when they were doing it, and give them a treat - to break their focus on whatever it was that had them worked up. I was interested in how she would handle the issue, because I have a Sheltie who does the same thing everytime a blade of grass moves outside, much less the neighbors and they're grandchildren, in their own yard! -- But even though it did break the dogs' immediate focus, it raises a couple questions for me. I think Victoria's an absolute genius, so I'm wondering what maybe I'm not getting? First, if I call my dog while she's exploding in the window and give her a treat, am I not encouraging her in this behavior? And then secondly, what if whatever they're (or my dog is) barking at isn't something just passing by, but say someone playing in a front yard across the street, or kids riding bikes back and forth on our very quiet street (in other words, so they can ride in the road, back and forth, safely, without any traffic usually coming)? I really need to stop her sudden, frequent and VERY loud eruptions every time the neighbors appear at all, on their own property or people riding bikes or walking go by, so have been watching for her suggestions for that, but don't understand her thinking on this one. Any help?
dontpugme

Re: "All Dogs Come" Episode?

Post by dontpugme »

That was the episode called Man vs. Manny. If you haven't already, you should post your question in the Dog Training Advice section. You will get better training advice there. :D
--dontpugme
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

In addition, when you post to the advice forum, give a rundown of your dog's info - age, daily routine (feedings, exercise, training, etc.), as that information matters when giving advice.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Ok, thank you both, for the name of the episode, and the recommendation regarding posting my question. I'll take your suggestions.