Double Trouble

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

User avatar
Mattie
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:21 am

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Mattie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:43 am

This is the first time I have read this thread, it is some time since we have said this but more ends up on the cutting room floor than goes into a program, these programs are mainly for entertainment and not education so what the editors think will make good viewing comes first. In this case they seem to have succeeded in getting a reaction to their program because of the way it was editored. I have been guilty of this in the past so do understand how easy it is to react to a program, I won't watch one person because of the way he handles dogs.

1969sj welcome to the forum, we are a friendly lot usually and will help as much as we can. Even the people who have replied on here are willing to help as much as they can with any problems you have. Most came here because of problems they were having and have learnt such a lot, they have stayed and become friends, hopefully you will as well.

We do enjoy a glass of wine, box of chocolates or chocolate cake when things are going wrong so that we chill out, they work really well for most of us. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]

User avatar
bmbutler
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Double Trouble

Post by bmbutler » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:24 pm

1969sj wrote:First of all I would like to say.. These dogs have a happier life then some people..
To make assumptions from a 1 hour based tv show that was cut & spliced more then you know is unbelievable!!
The accusations that many of you have made is quite dissapointing & disgusting. I feel you should all be ashamed of YOURSELVES!! Victoria can attest to the loving family that both Berkeley & Zeppelin have been growing up in..
All of you have no idea the situations that have occured in in our household which might have led to Berkeley not forming a great connection with Mom.. and you know what that was a story the producers chose not to tell..
They are looking for ratings.. A leash was dropped to go grab a piece of cheese not to abandon an animal outside..
A dog was walked and a huge bus of children appeared and the dog clammed up. Weighing in at 90 ibs Daddy had to come to help.. Would he have run home most certainly..
Mom's back couldn't take dragging him on this walk any further. A great, great editing piece having Dad come to the rescue. Our Dogs our OUR life next to our amazing young twin boys..
Rehome them? Most certainly not.. You missed the boat on this show.. We called Victoria to help us so the dogs would have an even better life so that the expert beyond expert could give us her stellar opinion & tips. If we did not care why go thru with all of that?
All of you need a reality check..
I am so dissapointed.. I will not let you ruin this experience for my family, my dogs.. I have to say so much wonderful footage wound up on the editing room floor.. So much of the twins, my husband.. Kind words I left for Victoria when I
was so sad & in tears she was leaving & thanking her.. Us as a family picking up poop


with the CREW in the backyard.. Yes ALL of us.. So much was left out.. So America give us a break and know that we really are good honest people.. You do not get more honest oh.. My remark about paying others to pick up..
I said that we are very pressed for time and if it means missing a sports practice or something at school or doing something with the boys.. I would much rather pay someone to do that and spend time with my children..
I give up other things in life to have that service and it is WEll worth every darn penny..
Next time one is so quick to type a comment think about it first because you might only be seeing part of the full picture.
Thank you.
Thank you for posting, but what was said on the show was actually said. We are all entitled to our opinion, but if a lot was not shown that is TAP's problem not ours. Maybe you need to think before you say things also. Not trying to start a problem here, but your attitude displayed on the show is coming out also in your post and I stand behind what I have posted. You came across on the show as arrogant and uncaring toward your dogs in the beginning and that is what I responded to.

Glad to know things turned out well.
Blackie's and Misty's Mom

User avatar
Mattie
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:21 am

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Mattie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:36 pm

bmbutler wrote: Thank you for posting, but what was said on the show was actually said. We are all entitled to our opinion, but if a lot was not shown that is TAP's problem not ours. Maybe you need to think before you say things also. Not trying to start a problem here, but your attitude displayed on the show is coming out also in your post and I stand behind what I have posted. You came across on the show as arrogant and uncaring toward your dogs in the beginning and that is what I responded to.

Glad to know things turned out well.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but when talking about things on the TV we should also remember that the program has been edited to get the best response so that viewers will come back to see more shows. Many prefer to show the worst of people and often very worried, anxious, etc people may come across as arrogant and uncaring, there is a thin line between them when watching on the TV because the body language doesn't flow as it does when we are talking face to face.

I am often accused of attacking people when I am attacking the post because the information that has been given can be dangerous, that doesn't make me arrogant or uncaring, just the oposite, if I didn't care I wouldn't be posting. It is the same with all the owners who go onto shows like Victoria's and even CM, they obviously care a lot for their dogs or they wouldn't put themselves in the position they are in for the TV.

Any owner who is prepared to go in camera, showing themselves up as not being able to control their dogs and/or lack of knowledge doesn't deserve to be attacked but to me they deserve a medal, not only do they learn, the viewers learn as well.

Well done 1969sj for having the guts to go on tv and show what you did, that takes guts, a lot more guts than I have.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]

Doglover42
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Doglover42 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:39 pm

1969sj wrote:First of all I would like to say.. These dogs have a happier life then some people..
To make assumptions from a 1 hour based tv show that was cut & spliced more then you know is unbelievable!!
The accusations that many of you have made is quite dissapointing & disgusting. I feel you should all be ashamed of YOURSELVES!! Victoria can attest to the loving family that both Berkeley & Zeppelin have been growing up in..
All of you have no idea the situations that have occured in in our household which might have led to Berkeley not forming a great connection with Mom.. and you know what that was a story the producers chose not to tell..
They are looking for ratings.. A leash was dropped to go grab a piece of cheese not to abandon an animal outside..
A dog was walked and a huge bus of children appeared and the dog clammed up. Weighing in at 90 ibs Daddy had to come to help.. Would he have run home most certainly..
Mom's back couldn't take dragging him on this walk any further. A great, great editing piece having Dad come to the rescue. Our Dogs our OUR life next to our amazing young twin boys..
Rehome them? Most certainly not.. You missed the boat on this show.. We called Victoria to help us so the dogs would have an even better life so that the expert beyond expert could give us her stellar opinion & tips. If we did not care why go thru with all of that?
All of you need a reality check..
I am so dissapointed.. I will not let you ruin this experience for my family, my dogs.. I have to say so much wonderful footage wound up on the editing room floor.. So much of the twins, my husband.. Kind words I left for Victoria when I
was so sad & in tears she was leaving & thanking her.. Us as a family picking up poop


with the CREW in the backyard.. Yes ALL of us.. So much was left out.. So America give us a break and know that we really are good honest people.. You do not get more honest oh.. My remark about paying others to pick up..
I said that we are very pressed for time and if it means missing a sports practice or something at school or doing something with the boys.. I would much rather pay someone to do that and spend time with my children..
I give up other things in life to have that service and it is WEll worth every darn penny..
Next time one is so quick to type a comment think about it first because you might only be seeing part of the full picture.
Thank you.
Wow! I'm so sorry, I was being ignorant :oops:
Thank you so much for explaining, I will now watch this show with a different perspective.
I never thought the editors cut that much out!!

Anyways welcome to forum,it's nice to have you here :)
Well done 1969sj for having the guts to go on tv and show what you did, that takes guts, a lot more guts than I have.
I agree with this! It was a really good episode nonetheless!

thepennywhistle
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Double Trouble

Post by thepennywhistle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Berkley's mom,

Thank you for giving your side of the story. We can only respond to what we are shown.
We cannot guess at what has been edited out. Your attitude toward the dogs as being
too much trouble to deal with and being unwilling to invest time in them is what we
were presented with, and your comments on that show, such as "that's it. I'm done.
This is ridiculous," when dropping Berkley's leash and walking away, which certainly
did not indicate any intent to return, or "That's not going to happen" and the "paying
somebody else to do it" in regards to lawn sanitation are what helped establish the image
presented. I know it is possible for editing to help emphasize this image, but your words
and attitude are part of what we are reacting to, so I don't feel we were completely out
of line in our overall response to this episode. Yes, a big dog froze when the school bus
appeared, but it didn't occur to you to wait it out rather than turn him loose? School
buses usually do not linger, and It's not like he was towing you down the street as he
bolted or anything dangerous. Also, your boys didn't seem convinced he would run home.
Our reactions to what we saw are honest, and I think our questions are as well.

I did wonder about one thing when presented with an episode that showed people who
had no time to invest in their dogs. Both of your dogs are beautiful, with exquisite
ears. I know how much time, effort, and patience ear training takes, so I wondered
who was responsible for that. Obviously at some time someone invested A LOT of
time in those dogs, and they appeared gentle and well mannered, other than being
stir crazy, not like dogs who had been ignored from puppyhood. Something wasn't
matching up, or something had drastically changed once the dogs matured

I am glad to hear that all is going well and that your dogs are loved and happy. I too
love dobermans and would be delighted to have dogs like yours in my family. I am
pleased to hear that part of your family is no longer banished to the den.

Must ask, though -- did the director prevent you from going out to help Victoria clean
up your yard?

Skye and the white collies

thepennywhistle
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Double Trouble

Post by thepennywhistle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:38 pm

thepennywhistle wrote:
Must ask, though -- did the director prevent you from going out to help Victoria clean
up your yard?
:oops: Wow, did that come off sounding rude and confrontational! I am so sorry !
That is NOT the way I meant that question at all. :oops:

I meant this as an honest question, as I am trying to use this episode and your
responses as a guide as to how much faith to put into what I see on the show in
the future. You are the first family from the show that I know of to join us here,
so yours is the first 'other side of the story' I've encountered. You've already pointed
out that there is more to the show than what airs, and that is a good starting point,
but will you continue to help us understand a little better?

Thanks,

Skye and the white collies

1969sj
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Double Trouble

Post by 1969sj » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi everyone thank you so much for all of your replies!!
My husband is mainly responsible for the ears.. It was alot of work!! I have to say I helped!!
Hours upon hours but it paid off.. These two dobies ate as gentle as can be. Zeppelin is very very layed back!! He even smiles!! We taught him that!! Berkeley is more of the mother figure/ watch dog. We got her mainly my idea I thought Zep was depressed!! I could not stand it, now I know it was just his layed back personality!!
I did not mean to come off as arrogant or uncaring. I was a bit nervous.. Cameras.. Victoria.. A crew.. A TV show.. Alot going on!! Or uncaring.. My dogs are my life.. they mean the world to me..
I never pushed Berkeley aside or had the attitude of why bother with her..
She just kind of did her own thing and we were all upset by that..
We all wanted more of a relationship with her. She's such a sweetheart!!

Thank you for welcoming me! I am glad to be a part of this group. I know on another blog they said my husband was an abuser and got dobies to be important.. I wore a large sweater to cover a bigger issue.. It was winter out!!
I am not going to look at anymore blogs about this episode. Yes it did take guts to do it!
It was my husbands busiest busiest time if work and though he was a bit hesitant I told him it was sooo important for the
dogs!! It was a chance for them to have the best best person come in and help them.. A chance of a lifetime.
It changed our lives..
Victoria has an amazing, amazing gift with animals that people only dream about..
she us so very lucky that animals respond to her the way they do.
Our dogs truly bonded with her so quickly.
She just has this way about her.
If I could carry a mini of her on my shoulder daily it would be amazing.. I still hear her every day in my ear saying "stand
straight, watch your tone.. Etc.. She left me with so many tools to use.
I will never forget my experience with her.
I am so thankful for it.
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!!

Salomé
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Salomé » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 am

1969sj wrote:Hi everyone thank you so much for all of your replies!!
My husband is mainly responsible for the ears.. It was alot of work!! I have to say I helped!!
Hours upon hours but it paid off.. These two dobies ate as gentle as can be. Zeppelin is very very layed back!! He even smiles!! We taught him that!! Berkeley is more of the mother figure/ watch dog. We got her mainly my idea I thought Zep was depressed!! I could not stand it, now I know it was just his layed back personality!!
I did not mean to come off as arrogant or uncaring. I was a bit nervous.. Cameras.. Victoria.. A crew.. A TV show.. Alot going on!! Or uncaring.. My dogs are my life.. they mean the world to me..
I never pushed Berkeley aside or had the attitude of why bother with her..
She just kind of did her own thing and we were all upset by that..
We all wanted more of a relationship with her. She's such a sweetheart!!

Thank you for welcoming me! I am glad to be a part of this group. I know on another blog they said my husband was an abuser and got dobies to be important.. I wore a large sweater to cover a bigger issue.. It was winter out!!
I am not going to look at anymore blogs about this episode. Yes it did take guts to do it!
It was my husbands busiest busiest time if work and though he was a bit hesitant I told him it was sooo important for the
dogs!! It was a chance for them to have the best best person come in and help them.. A chance of a lifetime.
It changed our lives..
Victoria has an amazing, amazing gift with animals that people only dream about..
she us so very lucky that animals respond to her the way they do.
Our dogs truly bonded with her so quickly.
She just has this way about her.
If I could carry a mini of her on my shoulder daily it would be amazing.. I still hear her every day in my ear saying "stand
straight, watch your tone.. Etc.. She left me with so many tools to use.
I will never forget my experience with her.
I am so thankful for it.
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!!

I was really happy to read this. I have to say, after your first post here, I was extremely skeptical. EXTREMELY. I know that editing changes things but I still didn't believe your initial account of things due to the unedited footage and just how you interacted with Berkeley. I am glad I waited until this reply to respond because you've explained a few things and given one food for thought.

Your dogs are gorgeous and stunning, and I'm so happy they're loved, appreciated, shown a lot of affection and caring. (Your twins are also adorable, btw. :) So handsome and great personalities too. )

I really appreciate the opportunity to know your side of things, so thank you for coming here and explaining. That does, indeed, take guts.

Doglover42
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Doglover42 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:44 am

I’m so glad that you and your family did what you did for your dobies because they deserve it! They seem like such amazing, brilliant dogs!
Yes can you please explain the basketball poop thing?

dontpugme
Posts: 1294
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:01 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Double Trouble

Post by dontpugme » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:11 pm

1969sj, I was wondering. On another thread, we were talking about adding an advertisement for positively to the tv show. How did you find out about the forum. Did Victoria tell you or did you search around online.

I remember the woman on the Dangerous Territory episode with Princess and Rocky joined the live chat on here. Other than that, i dont remember another family on the show joining the forums.
--dontpugme

1969sj
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Double Trouble

Post by 1969sj » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:35 pm

I will just leave you with a final statement that that all of the training you saw and the dogs reactions to Victoria's techniques were real and unedited. However related to my family and the story line in the show... not so much!
I'll be happy to answer any questions about Zeppelin & Berkeley.
Also, I found this site thru Animal Planet's web site.
Thanks again!! I look forward to writing with all of you in the future!!

Doglover42
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Double Trouble

Post by Doglover42 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 pm

dontpugme wrote:1969sj, I was wondering. On another thread, we were talking about adding an advertisement for positively to the tv show. How did you find out about the forum. Did Victoria tell you or did you search around online.

I remember the woman on the Dangerous Territory episode with Princess and Rocky joined the live chat on here. Other than that, i dont remember another family on the show joining the forums.
Chaos' family from England was here too! and Bill and Star from Greatest American Dog :D

@1969sj :Oh I forgot and was wondering, which dog did you get first? Thank you so much! and see you around the forum!!

1969sj
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Double Trouble

Post by 1969sj » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:19 pm

We got Zeppelin first. We had him for about a year and I thought he seemed a bit depressed so we decided to get him some company.. Little did I know that was his layed back personality!! He is a big Teddy bear!! He smiles, purrs and just wants his belly rubbed! He is not the alpha dog by any means, Berkeley is..
I am sure that was obvious on the show.. Or maybe not?
Berkeley has so much personality she talks. I don't recall if they showed a clip of her talking...
The two of them are a great comedy team.. They howl in sync, I mean who ever heard of dobies that howl?
See ya around the forum!!

emmabeth
Posts: 8894
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: West Midlands
Contact:

Re: Double Trouble

Post by emmabeth » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Can I just remind everyone (everyone.. not anyone in particular!) - good idea to take a moment to remember that people on tv shows and people who write posts on forums are still real people, real feelings, real emotions.

It must be really hard to behave naturally in front of cameras, crew, Victoria - AND take in what you are being shown/told to do AND then apply that with good effect. Really hard!

Its also worth remembering that TV shows gotta appeal to a lot of people - if it was JUST us dog geeks who would watch, there would sadly be no point in making them :( because most of the world is not a dog geek, in fact, most of them actually dont give a rats about dogs even if they own one, some care about their own dogs but dont know where to go... adn then the smallest group is us die hard dog geeks!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant

Post Reply