Please give a detailed recap

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dontpugme

Please give a detailed recap

Post by dontpugme »

Unfortunately, i was away this weekend and missed the new episode "Eight is Enough." The place we stayed at had Direct TV and i waited 20 minutes for the dumb box to find a signal. It didn't work. Please give me a detailled description of what was done, the problems, any special things done to do something, any drama....
If there's any place to watch the ep online, please tell. Its driving me crazy that i missed it.
GoofyDog2

Re: Please give a detailed recap

Post by GoofyDog2 »

I watched the show but I don't know how detailed I can be with a recap. But basically a young woman has adopted 8 dogs of various breeds and sizes, and they are basically out of control and taking over her life, and her husband (or maybe SO) is unhappy about the situation. He is a master chef and somewhat of a clean freak and he is disturbed by the dogs running around in the kitchen, and he does not enjoy them sharing the bed with him and his wife. He does nothing to help with their care and she has not required the dogs to respect reasonable rules and boundaries, so they are basically untrained. Fortunately none of them have serious behavior problems like aggression, but one rescued dog is very fearful and runs away when she tries to take him for a walk, so he does not get any exercise and he vents his energy by chewing on furniture and other household items. :x

Victoria handles the fearful dog by associating his leash with treats (peanut butter), and soon she and hubby see a major change so that now the dog gets excited about going for a walk, and actually has a new problem of excited leash pulling. Victoria teaches them to turn around and walk the other way when the leash goes tight. The dog seems to have a regular collar and they have to pull and tug on his neck until he realizes that he will not get to walk where he wants unless it is on a loose leash. But they don't use collar pops or force, and they use a verbal aversive to alert the dog when he pulls.

The problem with dogs in the kitchen is solved by using a baby gate and by having both owners use an assertive attitude and body blocking until the dogs learn to lie outside the area calmly while he prepares meals. She had also been in the habit of giving the dogs treats when they jumped up and begged, and feeding them was pandemonium, so Victoria had her wait until the dogs were calmly sitting before feeding them. She was also taught how to turn her back and ignore the dogs if they got too excited.

The dogs also had a problem with rushing toward the door, and Victoria showed them how to "claim the space" by the door and not allow the dogs to rush out. With a bit of body blocking and repeated opening and closing the door until the dogs were calm, they soon learned to wait until asked to go out. :)

Victoria had the couple make an agreement that she would keep the dogs off the bed (by using a firm "OFF" command and gently removing them), while he would take more responsibility for the dogs' care, including poop pickup. And she also promised not to get any more dogs. When Victoria returned after 10 days she found that the guy was not living up to his part of the bargain, so he finally joined in with a pooper-scooper. And as a grand finale the couple was able to enjoy a peaceful and romantic meal together while the dogs behaved nicely, and they were able to snuggle in bed without dogs bouncing around on them. :wink:

I hope that helps. :D
GoofyDog
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

In my area it is getting another airing this Saturday at 10am. Try checking your local listings. My DVR for some reason didn't record it, so I missed it, too.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Me too! My DVR recorded Buddy for some reason.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Thanks guys...i appreciate it! :D