Princess episode

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Liz & Koa

Princess episode

Post by Liz & Koa »

Hi,

For anyone who has been following the Koa saga, Princess is exaclty how he reacts, except he is a 80lb GSD, so it makes it a little worse.

My question is, when Victoria told the couple to put Princess in the bedroom when company came over, what if Princess barked? Would she have taken her out of the room or waited for her to stop barking to bring her in to the living room? I liked the concept and I am going to try it with Koa, but I think that he will bark like crazy when he is in the room by himself.

Thanks

Liz
maximoo

Re: Princess episode

Post by maximoo »

How about putting him behind a baby gate or teach him to go to 'place?
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

I do put him behind a gate, but he goes nuts, bark, bark, bark. So I like the idea of puting him in a safe room, then letting him come out to a gated area a little later to see if that works a little better.

If I am behind the baby gate with him and cheese he seems a little better, but he is very teritorial. He owns me and our house, or at least in his mind. My vet thought it was fear aggression, but I am begining to wonder.

Thanks for the input.

Also, the babyfood idea noobs gave me works great outside. When I see people or dogs, we stop and lick the babyfood jar until they are gone, then I put it away. It works great.

Liz
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I'm glad the babyfood idea works! When I did that with Murphy and I could see him watching the people walk by while he was licking. Eventually he didn't need it anymore. The odd person still makes him react these days but most of the time I'm able to catch him when he starts to show stress signals (watching the person a second or two too long) before he lunges.