UK episode of IMOTD that plays on my mind

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

missdoolittle

UK episode of IMOTD that plays on my mind

Post by missdoolittle »

Does anyone remember the episode of It's Me Or The Dog where Victoria advised a family to have their spaniel euthanaised after he had bitten a child in the family?

Just wondering if anyone has any views or inside knowledge on that particular case? It was aired a couple of years ago now and has played on my mind ever since - I personally felt that no where near enough avenues were explored before the decision to PTS was reached. However, I'm also smart enough to realise that the whole story cannot be covered on a short TV programme.

I'd be interested to know what you all think
''If you think dogs can't count, try putting three treats in your pocket and only giving him two''
spydre

Post by spydre »

I think this was discussed on the boards in the last month ago.

IIRC, the dog didn't just bite the child, but mauled her. The vet actually diagnosed the dog with terrier rage, which we see a lot in the US when owners get these kinds of dogs, and don't specifically address the issue early on.

I don't know about UK laws, but in my area of the US, I'm pretty sure the law is 3 reported bitings and the dog has to be put down. However, if there is a mauling, generally the dog is ruled as a dangerous dog and is to be put down immediately after the quarantine period is over.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

This was posted the last time this topic was brought up:

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/benj-com-10-18-06
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Rage syndrome is a form of epilepsy, and therefore not really correctable by behavioral methods. The dog is not "choosing" to attack; it's having a seizure. Because of this, it cannot choose not to attack. Unfortunately, this is more common in some lines of spaniels, and a good breeder would stop breeding dogs who had a history of this in their lines.

Euthanasia is often far kinder than trying to "correct" behavior the dog has no control over.

Lis
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

oh yeah! i never saw that one on TV, but i saw it online. i think your talking about bramble and benjy. the foodstealers
DawnStorm

Re:

Post by DawnStorm »

spydre wrote: , I'm pretty sure the law is 3 reported bitings and the dog has to be put down. However, if there is a mauling, generally the dog is ruled as a dangerous dog and is to be put down immediately after the quarantine period is over.
That sounds similar to the Dangerous Dog law the county I live in (Montgomery) enacted a few years ago. I think the dog gets one bite, but more than one and he's put on the Dangerous Dog List. I think a third bite means you get him out of the county or we take him and put him down. What I like about this law is that it's NOT breed specific.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!