What happened to Peanut Butter, the dog?

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lilahp

What happened to Peanut Butter, the dog?

Post by lilahp »

Tonight's episode, "Bad Apple", was the first one I've watched in which the dog was given to a shelter. It was no-kill shelter, and Victoria had stated that she would make sure that the dog would find a good home. What has happened since that time? Was Peanut Buter (the dog's name) able to find a good home?

Please let me know. Thanks!
lilahp

Post by lilahp »

Sorry, misspelled the name - it's Peanut Butter. Thanks!
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

I was wondering the same thing. What a great sport dog prospect, she loved the agility and ust wanted a job to do. I hope she got a great home with a job to do.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I agree, he would be SUCH a great agility dog, he's the type of dog I want to adopt someday, but not until I don't have cats anymore. His dog aggression did not look like the type you can train out, it looked like the type that you simply learn to control on walks and when he sees other dogs, I don't think he should interact with dogs again. I know many terrier breeds with genetic dog aggression and when they see another dog they get sooooo excited, tail wagging and if they were aloud to meet the dog they would try and kill it. They really, really want to attack it, no fear involved at all. No guarantee that he was that case but he sort of looked like it.

Great dog, I thought she was a sweetheart, she shared a lot of pit bull temperament characteristics, probably why I liked her so much. I hope she found the appropriate home for her where she would be the only animal and could get all the attention and exercise she needs.
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Peanut Butter is currently available for adoption to the right home. Right now, she's in southern California, but given the right opportunity, could potentially be rehomed elsewhere. If anyone is truly serious about adopting her, please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will forward the info to Victoria and the producers. Serious inquiries only, please.

Thanks,
BoardHost
Disney Paws

Post by Disney Paws »

Wow, he's nearby to me, but I can only handle less athletic dogs, like my couch potato Pug. I have an uncle who loves energetic dogs, though, and takes great care of dogs like that, if he still hasnt found a home in a few weeks I'll let him know, he has a boxer right now that he rescued from a shelter, but he's been looking for another dog because he has a large yard and his dog is fond of other dogs and actually dug a hole to the neighbor's yard to see their dog, and ever since the neighbor's dog was rehomed and my uncle fixed the yard, he's been looking for another dog.
Dakota

Post by Dakota »

I had just watched this episode yesterday, I had it recorded. I specifically came on this site to see what had happened and to compliment Victoria for suggesting Peanut Butter go to a better home!

Great Job Victoria!

I wish I could take him, but I have enough dogs right now and couldn't give him the attention he would need.

I hope they keep us updated on this great dog!
Dakota
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Disney Paws wrote:Wow, he's nearby to me, but I can only handle less athletic dogs, like my couch potato Pug. I have an uncle who loves energetic dogs, though, and takes great care of dogs like that, if he still hasnt found a home in a few weeks I'll let him know, he has a boxer right now that he rescued from a shelter, but he's been looking for another dog because he has a large yard and his dog is fond of other dogs and actually dug a hole to the neighbor's yard to see their dog, and ever since the neighbor's dog was rehomed and my uncle fixed the yard, he's been looking for another dog.
Remember, Victoria said she would do best in a single-animal home.
Dakota

Post by Dakota »

I didn't post the one you had quoted, but, to be honest, I don't think one other dog would cause a problem. If Peanut Butter is part Pit which I think he is, since his facial expressions and some of his bahavor is similar to my PB, one dog of the same energy level and size would teach him more than harm him. Many times dogs that are young and out of control like Peanut Butter will benefit from watching a stable dog. I believe the only reason he attacked the Mastif was because of the dogs age and blindness. Some dogs just feel it is their place to illiminate the weaker of the pack and that is what Peanut Butter was doing. If he is properly socialized, with alot of time and patience, I think he would do fine in a Boxer household. Although Victoria did mention a one dog home, I really believe she said that for the owners benefit, not the benefit of the dog in this circumstance. She saw how divided the house was, and how emotional it would be for them to give Peanut Butter away, so, she suggested a solution that they could not meet in order to keep the dog. I believe Victoria wanted to take the dog the minute she saw how it was being ignored, but due to legal reasons, she couldn't do that, so she came up with the next best thing.

I am not second guessing Victoria, but sometimes you can read her eyes and body language to learn more from her than just listening to her voice. She is a very strong woman emotionally and sometimes it just shows no matter how nice she is trying to be. Which is a good thing, a strong, positive, influence is what dogs need for you to be respected by them. This is just my opinion, not a reason for a battle in defense of anyone, so please don't take it as such.
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

I think Victoria saw the dog and spent more time with the dog then what we saw on tv and saw issues that we watching would not pick up. For her to say the dog needs to be in a single dog family, says alot to me. I agree that Peanut Butter probably has some PB in her, making her a female terrier mix, after living with same sex agression in terriers and one of my terriers almost being killed by the other, I respect Victoria's observation in sayng the dog needs to live in a single dog family. I do beleive you can train the dog to tolerate other dogs around her with good distraction training and she would make a fabulous sport dog! I have posted about her on my agility and flyball groups, maybe someone will step up and take her.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

APBT are known for DA, inherited DA, not based in fear or lack of socialization (although like any other dog they could get that too) but out of a desire/urge to fight other dogs like a border collie's urge to herd or a Hound's urge to track or a greyhound's urge to chase rapidly retreating objects because they were bred for that for a long time and in some places, by some people are still being bred for that. OBVIOUSLY not all are like that, but it's still pretty darn common, and not just in them but in many terrier and bulldog breeds (I consider them a bulldog breed, they were never bred to go to ground like a terrier). Even non-DA terrier and bulldog breeds should NEVER be left alone with another dog, no matter how friendly they are with dogs, they will very rarely back down if challenged.

I'm not saying that I know Peanut butter was inherently DA, I never met the dog but her body language seemed rather happy even though she was trying to go after the other dog. I didn't see calming signals from her, like whale eye or a turned head or licking the lips, though truthfully if i could see the clip again it would help a bunch. She just seemed very different from other dog aggression cases I've seen in life and on TV.

It may just have been exuberance with the other dog but I'll say that I would not have let her off the leash to find out.

Truthfully I don't think she LOOKED to much like an APBT, but she sure acted like one. From her prey drive and DA to her love of people and over excitement and activity level as well as her confidence, she was doing the agility obstacles in no time.

I do hope she finds a wonderful home, I'd prefer to see her in a single dog household but I do know of many people with DA dogs who keep them separated all the time and are doing just fine like that, they rotate which dogs get to be out with them multiple times each day and every dog still gets plenty of training, exercise and attention. Not something I could do but I prefer one dog at a time anyways so when I get my pittie he will be an only dog, DA or not at LEAST until 4 years of age (though I'll probably get him around 2 years old) so I have an idea of the dog's DA level.

Anyways, good luck Peanut butter!!
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Just to let you all know that Peanut Butter is in a great place where she will receive the time and attention she needs until she can find her forever home. I never recommend re-homing unless I know there is little hope of the dog leading a happy and fufilling life in the home that it is in at the time. It is difficult to see in an hour show all of the complexities of the issue but believe me - this was not the right home for this amazing dog - her behavior was spiraling out of control and the family did not have the time or the inclination to really work with her. She was a forgotten and unhappy dog and if I hadn't suggested re-homing her would have remained a forgotten and unhappy dog - and TV show or not - I am not going to leave a dog in those circumstances. PB is with people who understand her and will never give up on her, and we will all make sure she finds a good home however long it takes.
DogzRule1996

Peanut Butter

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Uhh... I'm only 12 (almost 13!) and I don't quite remember who Peanut Butter was..... sorry
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Speaking of Cooper, how's the Fickle Five? And Joey, the puppy mill rescue. As Victoria said on TV, I also think that puppy mills are cruel. I know a friend who bought this cute little golden retriever puppy at a puppy mill once. They wanted to give it to us as a gift, but my mom didn't want just us to keep it, so we decided to share the puppy (weird, huh?) So they kept him for a while and we kept him for a while, and just after about a month, the puppy was diagnosed with some type of disease and had to be put to sleep. It was sad. Now we know to get our dogs from animal shelters. I currently have one dog, but he's in perfect shape! I'll always miss Jake... but it was for the best... :cry:
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
andie

Post by andie »

Victoria wrote:Just to let you all know that Peanut Butter is in a great place where she will receive the time and attention she needs until she can find her forever home. I never recommend re-homing unless I know there is little hope of the dog leading a happy and fufilling life in the home that it is in at the time. It is difficult to see in an hour show all of the complexities of the issue but believe me - this was not the right home for this amazing dog - her behavior was spiraling out of control and the family did not have the time or the inclination to really work with her. She was a forgotten and unhappy dog and if I hadn't suggested re-homing her would have remained a forgotten and unhappy dog - and TV show or not - I am not going to leave a dog in those circumstances. PB is with people who understand her and will never give up on her, and we will all make sure she finds a good home however long it takes.
I just watched the show about peanut butter and wanted to say that I think Victoria way dealing with a family that didn’t want to pitch in and take time to train this dog. I was not thrilled with the whining â€