Episode with coprophagic Pugs

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bouvierlover

Episode with coprophagic Pugs

Post by bouvierlover »

I watched this episode with the Pugs and was a bit puzzled about Victoria's method of preventing the coprophagy with the use of the flags.

Why not just take them out seperately and clean up after them?

I could possible be missing something in the reasoning of the flags.

Cheers!
pupsrluv

i hope this helps!!

Post by pupsrluv »

Hello!!

I hope this answers ur question ..

but as I recall, the pugs had a serious problem with actually eating their droppings. so i think the flags were teaching the dogs to "stay away" until they learn that eating droppings was bad.

and..cleaning up after the dogs ...

i believe victoria wants to change the pugs' behavior by altering their perception by teaching them that what they are doing is unacceptable... rather than having them continue their bad behavior and the owners just allow it by chasing after them before they eat their droppings.

=) i hope this answers ur question..and of course this is just my take on it =)
~~ love, Karen.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I don't think it was the best way to go about it, I don't like teaching a negative association with something.

I would have probably had leashed pugs for a long time (even a long line would be fine so you could sit and wait while they ran around)and after the pooped they would be called to me for a treat (so a solid come would be taught) and if I saw one about to eat poop I could use the leash to move him. Once they were in I'd clean up poop. I would also teach a solid leave it. If the dog ate poo before I could stop him he'd have to go inside and be crated for a short time so that poo eating meant end of outside time (not 100% sure I'd do this but maybe). I don't remember if she tried pinapple like she did before to make the poo taste bad, but I would have tried that as well.