Max the Gordon Setter?

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Will post the email?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Will you post the email?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

That just means they wont let that dog win in shows, since being registered with either registry is ONLY conditional on the dog being the offspring of two registered parents.... his colour doesnt matter, and he could be a KC registered dog.

IF he was registered with either registry (which he could well be), he would be able to take part in any number of activities other than conformation showing, where his colour is irrelevant.

The faults outlined on a breed standard go against a dog in the showring - my KC reg deerhound has more white on her than is desirable, and a small kink in her tail... these are minor faults.

If she happened to be black and white patched, as is acceptable in some breeds though... she could still be registered but it would be a major fault and were I daft enough to enter her in shows i would be thrown out of the ring (id be laughed out of the carpark before i even got into the ring).

I dont know how to make this any clearer - registration is dependant on the parents being registered and in some cases on DNA results proving that parentage.

It is not dependant on colour. End of.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

ILP registrations with AKC do not require DNA, only several photo's of the dog and then they are judged as either ILP or not. An ILP registration also does not give creedence for breeding purposes or conformation showing, but does allow for other activities sponsored by AKC
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

What does ILP mean?

For the UK KC.... if there was any doubt as to a dog actually being the offspring of the parents listed on the dogs registration documents, then they can ask for DNA samples from dog and parents...this would only occur as a result of someone making a complaint or allegations that the dog is not who his paperwork says he is though.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

emmabeth wrote:What does ILP mean?

For the UK KC.... if there was any doubt as to a dog actually being the offspring of the parents listed on the dogs registration documents, then they can ask for DNA samples from dog and parents...this would only occur as a result of someone making a complaint or allegations that the dog is not who his paperwork says he is though.
See my post on this thread dated Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:16 pm. I posted the ILP requirements and limitations. Its basically an alternative registration for purebred dogs of unknown parentage.
mikki

Post by mikki »

Now i do know why I do not like the AKC. They are register the Labradoodles but not reconise a real breed.
It seems to me that they have no idea how the genes pole works.
Red is dominant.
I have a black and white Border collie or so I thought. After the bathing I found out that I have a 3 color one :lol: . The red is mixed inbetween the black. But on the paper it says black and white. As sonn as the coat dries up the dog is black and white again.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Registering and showing are 2 completely different things. Just because a dog is registered does not mean it is show quality or meets breed standards. Breed standards are exclusively for conformation.

Registration only is to identify lineage and parentage and has nothing to do with quality of the dog.
mikki

Post by mikki »

yes you are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Setter

I found something now out which I never knew before.

I don't register a dog which I don't show or breed. Why? I don't need to throw out the money through the window. :D . I can see that I have a Border Collie and a Lab.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You cant anyway - only the breeder can.

And to register on the activities/working register with the KC means the dog can compete at KC events (AKC will have similar provision) - nothing to do with what breed they are or are not.

As for why a breeder would register - tricky to define, but i cant see any good reason for a breeder to NOT register their pups, only dodgy reasons why someone might not.
mikki

Post by mikki »

Now we are talking about register a breed. We have lived 3 Years in the UK. It is a great Country. I have learned stuff which was very suprising to me.
Also the british breeder. If they are using the same brood ***** 2 times in a year they can register only 1 litter. They sell the second litter without papers.
============================
In my understanding is that the AKC has the agility trails under their wings. This means that we have to register the dogs when we want to go on competitions. Some people do have mutts and the AKC will register them.
Now if these people with the red gorden Setter want to go in the agility course and compete against the others, he will get the registration papers.

I have heard that the UKC has trails as well. But I have no idea if the dogowner must get his dog register in able to compete against the others.

I could use some help here.
cordandme

Post by cordandme »

Gordon Setter or not, I just want to say this dog looks like he was wearing a wig!!!

or I am the only one who thought of it when I saw the dog's hair on his head? :D
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

Mattie wrote:If there are several pups in a litter and one is the wrong colour, the American Kennel Club recognises all the pups except the one with the wrong colour even though it has the same parents. That doesn't make sense.
I never really understood AKC and what they think a real breed should be, eversince what my Puppy breeder told me I kinda cared less about AKC.

To me, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it obviously must be a duck.. :roll:

Quack. :lol:
muddyfloors

Post by muddyfloors »

mikki wrote:Now i do know why I do not like the AKC. They are register the Labradoodles but not reconise a real breed.
?? The AKC does not recognize labradoodles.
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

This is more of two registys being argued but it's about the AKC mostly.

It seems people have their differences but why protect AKC and think what they are doing is right but yet point fingers at other registry and stick names on them saying they are puppymill and Backyard breeders yet turn around and tell people not to point fingers at AKC

A Labradoodle, Goldendoodle at a lot of Kennel Clubs are not recongnized because in their eyes they are considered "Mutts" (Such a dirty name :roll: ) Well any"Mutt" could walk circles around a purebred so what gives them a right to say what dog is what because from what my understanding is a lot of dogs came from all sorts of many breeds to be what they are now.

In this particular thread : http://www.dogforums.com/19-first-time- ... ation.html

It really made me angry when they say you should run away from a dog who is considered puppymill or brocker or Backyard because there are, "Better" ones in the shelter who need a home...What kind of BS is that? They are saying you shouldn't RESCUE a dog from a bad breeder? Those dogs need love and a home too.

My new puppy is under APRI, papers to me are just a peice of a dead tree, I just want my doggy companion and once maybe try her at a show for some fun I don't want people snapping at me saying she's not a true breed; To me, my pets are one of a kind and no can take that from a person and doggy companion.