Weimerheimer episode

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dogsrgr8

Weimerheimer episode

Post by dogsrgr8 »

This episode hit home with me. Our two min pins do the same thing at the table and at the door. So I watched very intently. I started with the table issue technique of body blocking this past Saturday. By dinner tonight we actually had two min pins laying on the couch (one left and went in the bed after challenging us twice). We had a quiet dinner with out constantly telling them, no, get off the chair, quiet etc.
THANK YOU VICTORIA!

The door will be a lot of work. Baby steps I think for now.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

While watching this particular episode, and another one, "Harley the Not So Great Dane," I learned a new trick to apply to my own dog, only in a slightly different way: My dog, a Springer Spaniel mix, gets so excited at walk time, that she literally "springs" up and down uncontrollably. I had been correcting her behavior by leading her over to the door and getting her to sit calmly before putting her harness and leash on, but I still could not prevent the springing from happening in the first place. But then I saw how you only opened the door when Harley turned away from it-- thus making the door opening his reward. And I saw how you put the Weimaraners into a sit before opening the door when the bell rang. Well, now I put my dog into a sit/stay at the door BEFORE picking up the harness/leash. If she breaks her stay, I put the lead back on the shelf, and put her back in the sit/stay by the door. Getting the lead, and therefore the walk, is her reward for sitting calmly. She caught on fast! And what a difference it makes! Thank you, Victoria-- that was so awesome!