The Pugs episode

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

toodysmom

The Pugs episode

Post by toodysmom »

This episode had some good training techniques, but Victoria missed a key issues: The husband didn't want more dogs, but the wife continued to bring them in anyway. This disrespect of her husband's needs, is an underlying issue that they need to address.

Victoria didn't address any of that, but kept focusing on getting the husband to work harder. He doesn't want all of these dogs. Deana needs to respect him more by backing off of bringing more dogs in. That's fundamentally disrespectful.
Maddie'sMom

Post by Maddie'sMom »

I tend to agree with you, though I'm sure there was more chit chat than just what we saw on TV.
I did think this was funny, because the episode with the Great Dane, she reprimanded the man for bringing home the Great Dane that his wife did not want. . . :P
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

One difference between both families was in the pug episode, the guy had a complete lack of interest in caring for a dog in his own home. With the dane, the lady, while she may not have wanted a dog, still provided care and support.

VS was emphasizing that if you bring a dog into your home, each member of the household has a responsibility to assisting providing care and love for the dog. I would bet that bottom dollar that had the guy been carrying his load on the animal care, you would have seen a similar conversation as in the Dane episode.
FBTgirl

Post by FBTgirl »

I agree, there was probably more chit chat on it then what we saw. She had some great training methods though. I think that she should have put them on the same page though.
Pheobie my Terror
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

I think what was really upsetting, was that he would not feed or care for rescue dog, even though he was caring for the other dogs. How can any animal lover just not care for an animal because your wife brought it home and you dont want it? Wouldnt it even occur to you that this poor dog has been through hell and deserves a little kindness?
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
Fanny1951

Post by Fanny1951 »

I agree I was so upset watching this episode! The husband came off as uncaring and seemed as though he could be mean. The episode DID have a decent ending but I hope Victoria is able to follow up once more with them. KUDOS to Victoria for keeping her cool! When the husband sat there smarting off to her I was so mad! They are fortunate that she did not just leave as I believe she was about ready to do so. I hope all of those pugs are doing well they sure needed Victoria's help! I thought they were very intelligent also and learned so quickly.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

I think they were both very disrespectful of each other, and that did get addressed. The husband's smug, smirking, "I don't have to care about the dogs that aren't mine; I don't feed the puppy mill rescue" being presented most openly and directly, got addressed most openly and directly. However, one of the things that VS was very firm about was that the wife had to start trusting him to be able to take care of the dogs, let him know of any particular issues he might not be aware of, and then refrain from micromanaging. And that micromanaging and lack of trust was part of why he didn't want the additional dog.

Lis