latest episode,..daycare

Discussion of specific It's Me or the Dog episodes.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Petsittingbyliz1

latest episode,..daycare

Post by Petsittingbyliz1 »

I am shocked and outraged that any animal professional who loves and works for the welfare of dogs would ever think of debarking a dog. I believe anyone who owns a doggie daycare or any such place needs to read up on whatever they can regarding dogs, dog language and communication, behavior, training, psychology etc... this business is a lot of fun but a lot of work. I am glad that her own dogs were able to come with her to work in the end. It is a liability not only if her dogs bit any dog but if another dog bit anyone. Since i am a pet sitter this episode came very close to home. The most important thing I think is to be able to read dogs and give them the guidelines they need or else you are yelling at them for your own mistakes. I think that there needs to be a standard among pet sitters and they need to know a certain amount of knowledge since they work with live, sentient beings that have their own complex communication systems and who need constant supervision and vigilance, especially with 35-40 dogs in a small space. There are associations of pet sitters and as a consumer I would want to know that my pet sitter went through some training. I also would want to see that she was competent and confident with her or his own dogs. I am glad Victoria can reach these people and teach them not to mention the dogs.
Wilkie

Re: latest episode,..daycare

Post by Wilkie »

She must have had those dogs for a long time, but never considered giving them to someone who will actually love them and put extra effort into meeting their needs. I can't imagine how long those poor dogs had to put up with her constant yelling. No wonder why they're stressed out around her. With her constant angry facial expression and uptight attitude, I wouldn't have brought my dog to her daycare. I wonder if she is actually nice to the dogs or if she lied. I hope she will follow through with lessons Victoria gave her.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

while a pet/dog professional should be held to a higher expectation of knowledge for their profession, we do need to be careful how much finger waging we do. We aren't born with knowledge about dog training and behavior. these are learned skills. And never underestimate desperation and or frustration when someone hits a wall in their knowledge and or experience. it sometimes leads them to consider or do things they would not normally do or consider.

I got the impression she was VERY relieved to NOT have to take the debarking step. I suspect had she TRULY been ok with that step, it would have been taken LONG before Victoria showed up.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

jacksdad wrote:while a pet/dog professional should be held to a higher expectation of knowledge for their profession, we do need to be careful how much finger waging we do. We aren't born with knowledge about dog training and behavior. these are learned skills. And never underestimate desperation and or frustration when someone hits a wall in their knowledge and or experience. it sometimes leads them to consider or do things they would not normally do or consider.

I got the impression she was VERY relieved to NOT have to take the debarking step. I suspect had she TRULY been ok with that step, it would have been taken LONG before Victoria showed up.
She obviously watches the show, otherwise she never would've signed up to be on the show. Therefore, she was aware of what's right and what's wrong. She was ignorant yet she has her own daycare for dogs. A professional would do their research and not go by what friends or people they know are saying. The tools are out there, either you choose to get educated or you choose to walk through life ignorant.

I got the impression that she thought she knew more than Victoria. Even the look on her face and how she said where she got her information from was snobbish, but Victoria held her ground. The woman was being condescending. She already had a pooor attitude.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Dr. Dunbar said something that left an impression on me. paraphrasing now....NOT everyone is going to be good with dogs and able to achieve high levels of skill and "ability" no matter how much the may love dogs. It's a lot like with computers (his example). For some people computers come easy, they aren't intimidated by them, they seem to "get them" and gaining skill and proficiency with them comes easy, sometimes almost "intuitively".

Dogs aren't much different in this idea. for some people dogs will almost be "intuitive", for other it takes a bit more effort but they still get there, yet others...NO matter how much the love dogs, they will always struggle to understand/figure out even the "simplest" things.
Cassidyyorkie

Post by Cassidyyorkie »

I have heard about and seen several dogs recently owned by dog professionals that were debarked. It's becoming more prevalent - like it or not.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... _dile.html