I have taken the plunge

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

I have taken the plunge

Post by MPbandmom »

Today I ordered a scooter, harness, and tug line so that Sky can learn dog scootering. I am feeling a combination of super excitement and fear. It looks really fun and I think Sky will throughly enjoy it. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a scary bust like the walkey dog was.

I feel more confident that this is a better system for (lazily :lol: ) running with a dog than I felt when I purchased the walkey dog. With the walkey dog I kind of bought it because everybody said it worked great, but I was thinking ummmmm I really don't like the looks of how this hooks up. Based on my experience with the walkey dog in action, and the lack of stable feel to the ride, I know the dog(s) enjoy running with the bike. I just need a more stable system so that I can also enjoy the experience and not feel like I am in immenite danger of crashing.

I only purchased a single dog tug line and harness for Sky. My son seemed hurt that I didn't also purchase a harness for Sirius. My thoughts are to start out with Sky and see how it goes. If it goes well, I may then add Sirius to run beside me with a hands free leashing system. (There were times that I hooked both dogs up to the bike at the same time. This resulted in a ride that quickly attained speeds beyond my comfort level. Although, I may have been okay with the higher speeds had I felt more comfortable with the set up in general.)

I am actually kind of torn between having Sirius run beside on a hands free leash, or getting a harness for her (if the set up works well with Sky) and letting them take turns pulling the scooter. (If she pulls while running beside, it could throw off my balance as well as add to the speed.) I think I will likely try the hands free running beside first just to see how she is with the scooter. One thing I read said scootering was not recommended for timid dogs, since Sirius has fear issues, I'm not sure how she would react to having a scooter behind her. I woulnt' want her to panic and try to run away from it. She was okay with running beside the bike. Of course, if I feel super confident and comfortable with the scooter set up and ready to try speed riding I could hook both dogs up at the same time and I feel that Sirius would be fine running beside Sky.

Has anybody else tried scootering? Does anybody see anything glaringly crazy in my thought process?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
leslie123

Re: I have taken the plunge

Post by leslie123 »

I had to look this up because I had never heard of it. I found several vids of the dogs pulling from the front, then I found this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gnh7qNC ... r_embedded

I can't wait to hear how this works out for you. I think my kids would love this when Sulley is old enough.
MPbandmom

Re: I have taken the plunge

Post by MPbandmom »

I do really love the set up on those and would have preferred to go with that, but the price was beyond what I could afford.

I ordered the Dirt Dawg by Diggler. http://site.digglerstore.com/scooters_dog_home.html They have some videos too.

I think it will still work well with Sky as even when off lead she will tend to follow a trail. The main problems I have with her is that she tends to want to greet every person we pass and children and balls attract her attention even more.

So far, they don't indicate that my order has been shipped. I will be contacting them next week if this continues to be the case as they say average ship time is 2 to 3 days and it has already been a week.

I will definately post how it goes.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.