Need Advice QUICK!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Circadian

Need Advice QUICK!

Post by Circadian »

I was scheduled to get a puppy here in a few weeks (when it turned 8 weeks old)
I was pretty firm about the 8 week point because I wanted the puppy to be able to learn from its litter mates and mom.

My concern is this, I'm pretty sure the puppy is in a situation that is less then ideal. I know its environment is not one of nurture and love. It is around several young children who don’t handle it appropriately (and unfortunately due to the situation I am unable to correct the handling), and its around older dogs who’s interactions with the puppy are not being monitored as they should be.

I *KNOW* I could get the puppy TODAY if I wanted it. I have 2 dogs who are very nurturing (yes, even around pups) my issue is this.. Its 5 WEEKS!
I just don’t want anything "Broken" before I get it! Ya know?

What would you recommend I do? I think I should get the puppy now (to ensure its safety). So get it now, or leave it with its litter mates/mom for 3 more weeks? *cring*

If I do get him at 5 weeks, here are my questions:
Food? (hes already eating semi solid foods but I wanna make sure Im giving him appropriate food, and that hes gaining weight etc).
Feedings? (how many, how often?)
Temperature? (Do I need to do the light bulb in the box type thing at 5 weeks or is he ok?)
any other advice? :)

Hes a larger breed dog. Hes a pit/boxer/mastiff x.
He seems to be doing well from what I hear, he is not the leader of the pack(of puppies) hes right in the middle, and has firm ground around his siblings

Don’t get me wrong, he is not in an abusive situation (I would have pulled him instantly). But he is in a situation where others (children/dogs) interactions are not being monitored and maybe a tiny bit on the (unintentional) rough side. My only options are this.. Take the dog, or keep my mouth shut.

Thanks for your input!
Circadian

Re: Need Advice QUICK!

Post by Circadian »

Oh yes I KNOW and I AGREE 5 Weeks is WAAAAAY too young to be away from mom!!!!
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Wow, what a dilemma! That must be very hard to know about and just sit by.
But, in my humble and non-expert opinion, If you think he can survive without
serious detriment for another week or three, I'd leave him there. He's better
off with mom at 5 weeks if she is feeding him and caring for him. I understand
that your fingers are itching to just snatch him up and run away with him, and
I don't blame you a bit for wanting to protect your bitty puppy. I'd be just as
eager to keep him safe, but I have also taken home a puppy at 5 weeks and
a few days, back when pups were routinely handed out at 6 weeks (May of 1970),
and it was not a good decision for her in the long run. Personally, I'd give him
as much time with mom and siblings as you can bear to wait. Every day is a
long time when you've only been around 5 weeks. Puppies are resiliant, and as
long as he doesn't suffer physical harm, I'd say you can probably undo whatever
negative things they're doing with lots of love and clear communication once you
get him home.

I wouldn't do the light bulb warmer thing, because he should be able
to maintain his own body temperature at this age, and I fear the incredible
reach of teething puppies vs. electric cords. A warm blanket to snuggle in,
and/or a sympathetic adult dog, should do just fine.

And congrats on the new family member. This is always an exciting time. Has he
got a name yet? :D
Last edited by thepennywhistle on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I personally would not have gone with that particular breeder....

However, I agree with the Penny whistle: We got Annie from the shelter when she was three months old. She had had a previous family, apparent by her collar, but they must not have taken very good care of her. She got away from them, and was found dodging traffic in the street! Annie grew up to be a very well-adjusted dog, with few problems. She is sweet and good and enjoys the company of other dogs. Her bite inhibition is stellar. The point I'm trying to make here is, even though we got Annie when she was quite a bit older, and after she had already been exposed to less-than-ideal circumstances, she was indeed resilient, and young enough still, to overcome and be the "perfect" dog for us. :) I think if you leave your little guy a few more weeks, that he will be better off for it. He does still have some things to learn from his mother and littermates.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Circadian

Post by Circadian »

Yup his name is Gunner :)
And its not a breeder... Its someone who hasnt had there pets fixed *grumble*.
Its a person my husband knows.., from long ago.... anymore detail then that is too much info :)
Attachments
Gunner.jpg
Gunner.jpg (18.06 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Wellllll........

With my professional hat on here, I would say do not get this puppy at all, BUT .. you are going to so ..

Do you have a steady adult dog at home to help you raise puppy, if not do you have access to sensible steady adult dogs belonging to friends?

If you DO, I would go get the puppy now really - 5 weeks isn't ideal but what he would be missing out on is not so much the interaction with his litter mates as the interaction with adult dogs, his litter mates willb e teaching him how to fight/bully/shove his way around and if they are not supervised, or if other adult dogs are doing similar, he wont be learning things you want him to learn.

If you have no access to adult dogs at all, who you would want him to learn how to be a dog from, then I would leave him another week and then go get him, but I would be picking him up before 8 weeks old, yes.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm another who would say walk away from this puppy. A dog is a commitment of twelve years or more, and that's going to be a heap of vet bills alone, never mind the mental damage that is being done.

Pups manhandled by children sustain all manner of nasty injuries from broken bones to damaged joints, ruined growth plates, skull fractures - I've seen some horrors believe me. Do you honestly want to set yourself up for a lifetime of caring for a crippled dog?

It doesn't matter about offending the people who accidentally :roll: bred the pups - they are ticking timebombs. Don't get caught up in fluffy sentiment or "saving" a pup. For sure there will be another litter along soon (we all know people like that). You are in for a similar hiding to the one you'd get if you bought a wreck of a car, except that cars don't have their own minds. A dog lifetime of misery for the whole family.

For goodness' sake walk away. Get a healthy dog. Costs far less to keep, gives you far more joy.

I daresay you'll ignore this but you asked for a variety of opinions and that's mine.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Are you paying for this puppy or is it a 'give away' from this family/person? Either way I agree with emmabeth and Nettle. Generally my own personal belief is that 2 places to get a dog are either a respectable breeder (who is very knowledgable about their breed, its health problems, temperment, and breeding etc) or shelters and rescues - both of which I would look into and check out their dogs just to make sure it's a good fit.

I would also make sure you really want this dog and are prepared to handle everything - there are alot of genetic problems that are around for some breeds (goldens too) which is why I'm a big fan of "good" breeders and not so great of a fan of some actual breeds of dogs.

If you are really intent on this puppy and it's the 'right one' for you, and you will be 'right' for him/her, then I would just weight the 8 weeks personally. But I'm in no way an "expert", I just volunteer at a shelter on the weekends with dogs and am a bit of a dog 'fanatic'. :-)

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide!
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
Circadian

Post by Circadian »

I'm going to hold out for now. I will review more at 6 or 7 weeks and maybe get him early then. In my head I KNOW 5 weeks it just too young. I feel 6 is too young too but from 6 on, Lucy and Chica (my other 2) will be GREAT teachers for him as well. I'll give him a nice healthy look over before we get em. if ANYTHING happens to him, my stepsons make sure I'm aware of it :) Ive told them to keep an eye out for him (and the other puppies) to make sure nobody is misshandeling them and if they are to tell on them RIGHT AWAY!

Turns out the other dog who was being "nippy" was an older small dog so to me it sounds like MAYBE he was just setting boundries. I told them to keep an eye out for that as well and not let the pups over run that dog since it has already told a few of the other pups to BACK OFF!!!

Now I just take DEEEEEPPP Breaths, tell the step kids to rat out ANY misshandeling ASAP and close my eyes and wait for 6/7 weeks to HURRY THE HECK UP! :)

Lucy (my golden) is gonna make a great step mom :) She is very motherly. I'm really hopeing she teaches the pup to be half the dog she is ;).
Thank you guys for the advice (and please keep it coming!).
Circadian

Post by Circadian »

Nettle :: Thank you! You brought up a lot of things I was conserned about with the mental and other damage. I see the pup on a weekly/biweekly bases sofar and get constant updates on him. If anything appears "funny" or wrong I will do as you recomend and walk away. You are right 12+ years is a BIG commitment to vet bills and I do want to make sure we are set up for succuess :)

Emmabeth :: I am going to get him early! :) yaya BUT I'm going to try to squeek out till about 6 or 7 weeks! I have a GREAT NEW PACK for him! I'll post pictures of my mutts here in this thread.. I am leaning twords 6 weeks. I want to give him as much time as possible with his mom and littler but I am worried about what hes learning so yea hes gonna come home with us SOOON to learn how to be a lil love bug and well mannered!

Fundogs :: Very inspiering about Annie! :)

Thepennywhistle :: I have this great thing called a snuggle safe! Its a nice hard plastic heating pad thing you put in the microwave and it holds heat forever! Wrap it in a blanket and its good to go! :) I got it a few years back ago when I was raising a fearl kitten by hand who had been abandoned by its mom.. WOW.. i'll NEVER do that again! OMG! That was crazy work let me tell you! But cats and i arent necesserly a good mix :) I'm a dog person (always have been). I'm just a sucker with a big heart who cant stand to see something suffer!! *sigh* I wish I was callous :)

nightsrainfall :: My step kids were trying to get me to take almost every other puppy in the pack, i saw gunner and said "HEY! Hand me that fat lil butterball back there" He got in my arms, sqwented up at me and made a grunt sound, then fell asleep in my arms and right then and there.. there deal was sealed. Oh my god and Goldens! wow my golden is a lil alergy dog from heck! every alergy season the vet bills with her are insane :)

Great advice from all of you! I LOVE that everyone is presenting me with many different angels! good, bad or indifferent! I said it before but I'll say it again.. THANK YOU!

Here are my other 2 throwaway dogs I was given :) Lucky me! Poor suckers had no clue what they gave up! :)
Attachments
Lucy likes to play like shes a small dog every now and then :).
Lucy likes to play like shes a small dog every now and then :).
lucychicha.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 3299 times