Starting up Business...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Pol

Starting up Business...

Post by Pol »

Hello fellow Positively members...

I want to set up my own Pet Sitting business. As of yet I have not come up with a name. I did the Pet Sitting course with Pet Sitters International. I'm looking into doing the American Red Cross Pet CPR course.
I'm not sure and hope someone can answer this for me.... If I put up a notice in my neighborhood advertising myself for dog-walking/pet-sitting just with my first name, e-mail and contact number, do I still have to be insured and bonded before starting it? Also would I be able to 'change' my name to an actual business name later?

I'd really like to get into this and it seems every name I try to think of is already taken :( I don't want to use my own name, I'd rather use a more professional pet care business name.

Anyone who is already doing this and can offer advice/suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Pol :)
jacksdad

Re: Starting up Business...

Post by jacksdad »

it all depends on your city and state laws.

I live in california and at least in the county/cities in my area this is my understanding of how it works.

Business name. If you name it something other than your own name (full legal name) you need to file a fictitious name statement. and I believe you have to place a notice in the papers as well.

If you live in a city, you have to get a business license. In the county, you didn't used to have to, but not sure if that is still the case. but if you do have to get a business license it's best you think of your business name first and figure on using it for at least until the next renewal to save name change fees. But to my knowledge, you can change your business name anytime you want, provide your willing to go through all the paper work and possible fees to do so.

Then there is also the question of sales tax, some services do need to be sales taxed in my area. of course I don't know if this is true for your, but something to think about. You will also need to have some idea of how to plan for your state and federal income taxes as self employed. Keep close track of the miles you drive that are business related and keep every single receipt. your accountant will tell you if you what you can or can't use. The feds and state of california usually want businesses to file quarterly tax statements and pay estimated quarterly taxes.

bonding and insurgence are probably really good ideas. chances are people will be letting you have access to their house while they are way so you can get their dogs for the walk. And this will give a sense of professionalism and legitimacy towards your. then just in case something happens while your walking their dog, it would be smart to have insurance coverage. What type and how much, couldn't even begin to advise. because you will be driving around a lot as part of this type business, don't be surprised if the amount of 1 million doesn't come up.

just some basics from what people I know who have their own business have shared. But again, this is California based highly generalized info. Your local Chamber of Commerce probably would be a good place to also ask these questions, it's why the exist. I am sure they would have a lot of good information and advice regarding starting up a business in your area.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Listen to Jacksdad, I really can't offer much advise as I dont live in the US - but DEFINITELY, insurance. If you dont and something goes wrong you stand to lose out seriously if anyone takes action against you, theres just noi point risking not being insured.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

There's a book out called "Pet Sitting for Profit" that might be able to answer your questions. :)