I need your input on this situation...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

I need your input on this situation...

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Earlier tonight, my mother and I were going out to my uncle's. A half-mile from his house, this large dog comes bouncing/running off this embankment, I swerved to miss it, but the dog hits the side of my vehicle. :shock:

I turn the vehicle safely around, looked for the dog, but I don't see the dog. So, I pulled up the driveway near where this dog came bouncing/running down and asked them if they own this large dog and told them what happened. The dog wasn't theirs but they knew who the dog belonged to so I, along with my mother and uncle (he was worried what happened to us & came checking, when he saw my van at his neighbor's) followed them to the dog's owner(s).

The dog was inside the house, however, the dog's owner(s) only allowed the man and the woman inside but not me, which I do understand (who wants a stranger in their home?), but I needed to check the dog out for myself. When the man, woman, and dog owner(s) came outside, they told me the dog was fine that there was no blood or broken bones.

The thing is that this dog hit the side of my vehicle so hard that it would be nearly impossible for the dog not to be injured; yet, the dog "made it back" into the house. The strange thing is that there are a lot of lights around these houses that I should have seen the dog making its way back but I didn't! Furthermore, I know from the impact that this dog may have some internal damage or even internal bleeding, and yet, they didn't let me see the dog or let me offer further help or assistance or even mention taking this dog to the vets!

I'm really concerned about this dog, even if the owners don't think so! :shock: What do you think about this situation?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Nettle

Re: I need your input on this situation...

Post by Nettle »

Twice in my life I have hit a dog that came running out into the road in the dark in pouring rain. Both times I stopped and found the dog which had run back into its house (just WHY do people..... :evil: ) and each time the dog was uninjured apart from bruising.

So worry no more. You did the right thing by stopping and checking, and now the dog is the responsibility of the owners. It is quite probable that the dog did not sustain any injuries that needed treating. They are a lot tougher than we are, and sometimes they get lucky too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Thank you Nettle for your input! :D I know this wasn't the first dog or animal that I've either hit or has hit my vehicles in the past, and especially if it is someone's pet, I've always stopped, notify the owners, and check on the animal to make sure it is all right. However, last night gave me the feeling that these people, that is the dog's owners, were afraid of a law suit more than thinking or worrying about their dog's health! :evil: I'm not "sue happy" and had no intentions of bringing up any law suits, I just wanted to make sure the dog was all right, because that was a hard hit/impact to the side of my vehicle, which, by the way, there were no damages to my vehicle but a big clump of fur. Had that been my dog, I wouldn't have hesitated taking my dog to the vets to make sure my dog was all right.

I guess some people are strange... :(
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Dogs often run off after being hit, it is the self protection instinct, get back to the den, get back to the den. I think you did everything you could to make sure this dog was ok. If the owners did not take the dog to the vet, and I certainly would, then it is on them. I can't imagine 1. Let my dogs run the streets and 2. if the worst happened, someone opened my locked gate and let them out to be hit, I certainly would have them in the car and on the way to the vet.

I don't understand people either. And you did all you could.
The best days are spent with my dogs.