swollen human face

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

swollen human face

Post by Sarah83 »

Nothing to do with dogs, just wondering whether anyone here can suggest anything that might be making one side of my face swell, cause a monster headache, fever, stiff neck and make it so painful to open my mouth that I can barely eat. Not that I really want to eat anyway :| Google says mumps. I had mumps 3 times as a kid AND had the vaccination so would have thought I'd be immune to it by now. Dental issues have been ruled out. The right side of my face looks like a hamster. I've been to the doctor and they're clueless :roll: Going back tomorrow as it's got worse.
thepennywhistle

Re: swollen human face

Post by thepennywhistle »

Could be quite a few things. Is it swollen up near your eyes and cheekbone?
Could be sinus infection. Is it down by your jaw? Could be obstructed salivary
gland or an abscess. Dental infections are usually the culprets for suprising
facial swelling, but you say that's been ruled out, so that's good. TMJ jaw
joint problems can cause swelling and a lot of pain, but usually no fever,
so I'd gather that's out of the differential.

Moist heat helps a lot of things resolve, from sinuses to abscesses, so you might
try wringing a facecloth out in hot water and holding it against the area if you can
stand the touch. Try to do that for 15 minutes or so. It's like chicken soup -- it
can't hurt, and it is great for resolving swellings and inflammations and such.

Hang in there, and maybe you could let us know what happens?
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Swollen and sore from right under my eye down to my jaw. The cheek feels swollen on the inside as well. I had the exact same thing a few months ago and we never figured out what it was then and just passed it off as a freak thing but I'm going to push for a better answer than that this time.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

When I had viral meningitis as a kid, I experienced a sniff neck--like you cannot touch your head to chest---along with a high fever, massive headaches and vomiting, ending me up in the hospital. I'd recommend seeing your physician to see what's causing your symptoms. Get well soon! :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

When you went to the doctor, did your ears check out okay? Several years ago, I had a very bad ear infection, which drained into the lymph nodes in my neck and face. I was in excruciating pain, to the point of being nearly catatonic. My mouth was swollen shut and I could not turn my head well enough to drive. The doctor determined I had abscessed lymph node in my face! I was on a strong course of antibiotics for two weeks, but it took nearly a month for the infection to completely go away.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Went back today and came away with a course of antibiotics. They're thinking an infection of some sort but aren't sure where. Sinus, jaw, some gland, skin or what.

Fundog, right ear is apparently slightly red but not infected and certainly shouldn't be causing my face to swell like this.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

ON the lighter side....if you would stop slamming your face into poles watching "professional" trainers who just don't get it........

Not sure what could be causing that except perhaps something like an abcessed tooth...Hope you feel better soon.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I very much hope you are feeling better by now )))))))))gentlehugs(((((((((((((((
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Well the antibiotics seem to have done the trick, face has gone down and pain is almost completely gone. Got another few days on them yet, hopefully it'll clear up completely. Thanks for the good thoughts everyone :D
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

glad to hear your responding to the meds.

Now, about those poles.... :lol:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Glad to hear you're feeling better, too, Sarah83! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Glad to hear you're on the mend! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Glad to hear you're healing! :D What did your doctor say caused your face to swell?
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Absess tooth. It can swell the face, jaw, neck and it could kill you. So get to a doctor as fast as you can, its so close to your brain, don't mess around asking us what it could be, go to the doctor.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

MaiasMom wrote:Absess tooth. It can swell the face, jaw, neck and it could kill you. So get to a doctor as fast as you can, its so close to your brain, don't mess around asking us what it could be, go to the doctor.
Um...as I said in my original post I'd been to both dentist and doctor already. Neither could find any reason for my face to swell up. Even had xrays taken at the dentist and nothing showed up.

Whatever it was it's gone now. Just wish we could find out exactly what and where the problem is because it's happened before so chances are it'll happen again :?